Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
RoboSnuf

Default FAQ query

Hi all

Have just been reading the FAQs and have come across some answers that appear contradictory - only I've not played the relevant expansions or seen the actual cards yet so was hoping someone could advise? (am fairly new to Munchkin but think it's awesome and am hoping to pick up all of the expansions for the core set so am keen to understand as much as possible!)

Q&A as follows:
====================
De-Ranged
Q. The Chicken Steed says that my attempts to Run Away succeed automatically. If I face a monster that says cannot be outrun (like the Crabs), whose ability wins?
A. A monster that cannot be outrun will always trump any ability that lets you Run Away automatically, because the monster prevents the attempt.
&
Half Horse, Will Travel
Q. The Avatar says you automatically Run Away from all monsters if you lose the combat. What about monsters that say "escape is impossible"?
A. You get away from them, too. They're too busy trying to chase the Avatar.
====================

Is this inconsistency to do with an obvious difference between the 'Chicken Steed' card and the 'Avatar' card?

Thanks all

- Snuf
RoboSnuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
RL

Default Re: FAQ query

I would say that the difference is in how you escape. With the Avatar, the monster still catches something, it just happens that it's not you.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Clipper

The inconsistency has been addressed in the past:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
We are never going to address every possible conflict between cards or between a card and the rules. There are too many interactions and the FAQ is not intended to be comprehensive -- IMO, it's too long as it is. The Avatar answer does contradict the Chicken Steed answer, but that's not a flaw in the FAQ; that's a case where there's an exception to the general case, and it is properly documented in the exception, not in the general rule.

Now please drop this and move on.
So yeah, they are inconsistent, but Avatar is the only card that breaks the general rule.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
RoboSnuf

That's great, thanks both for your responses. I did try and search for the subject before posting - but clearly not as thoroughly as I could have!
RoboSnuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
RL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSnuf View Post
That's great, thanks both for your responses. I did try and search for the subject before posting - but clearly not as thoroughly as I could have!
Searching the forums is hard, especially because there are over a million posts dating back some 8 years. I get pretty decent results, however, when I use Google as described in the Critical Links and Useful Information thread.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
Clipper

Yeah, that one would be pretty hard to search for too, so don't feel bad. I knew where to find it in this case, as I was the one being chastised for being too nit picky.

Tags
de-ranged, faq, half horse