Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2009, 01:03 AM   #21
Ragitsu
Banned

Default Re: My TL 7-10 semi Post-Apocalyptic Campaign Question Thread

Well, the scenario in question deals with a PC at a construction site of sorts. They have medical training (Diagnosis, Physiology, First Aid, Surgery, etc) and were eying a line of power tools, wondering if they'd do the job should someone need emergency medical attention (they don't have a medkit or true surgical tools at the moment).

Anyways, how about a Technique for medics that covers this sort of situation? I'm willing to bet this sort of thing has already been covered.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:33 AM   #22
tanniynim

I'd say power tools could range from -3 to +1 to Surgery, depending on exactly what was going on.

For a bullet wound? No, I don't see any power tools being useful. For an amputation? Sure, they're great, but not sterile and get jammed up on the gore.
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:50 PM   #23
pawsplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanniynim View Post
I'd say power tools could range from -3 to +1 to Surgery, depending on exactly what was going on.

For a bullet wound? No, I don't see any power tools being useful. For an amputation? Sure, they're great, but not sterile and get jammed up on the gore.
Clamps. Clamps would help with a bullet wound. As for amputation... my experience suggests that a good angle saw is not going to get "jammed up" on gore. I've seen the aftereffects of an angle saw converting human fingers into pink mist.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:59 PM   #24
Ragitsu
Banned

Thanks. I decided to allow them to count as Basic Equipment as long as they're sterilized and have the necessary accompanying medical gear. It also fits the campaign's theme, so it's a win-win.

That said, i'm sure the medic will prefer actual surgical gear ;-).

---

Here's a (hopefully) easy question: if a TL7-8 bolt-action or magazine based firearm that is not expressly designed for underwater use is dropped underwater, is it irreparably damaged, or can the PCs salvage it? If so, how? What about the ammunition?
Old 06-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #25
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Thanks. I decided to allow them to count as Basic Equipment as long as they're sterilized and have the necessary accompanying medical gear.

---

Here's a (hopefully) easy question: if a TL7-8 bolt-action or magazine based firearm that is not expressly designed for underwater use is dropped underwater, is it lost, or can the PCs salvage it? If so, how?
I'd probably lower the Malf until the PC's gave it a good cleaning.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #26
Frost

Quote:
Here's a (hopefully) easy question: if a TL7-8 bolt-action or magazine based firearm that is not expressly designed for underwater use is dropped underwater, is it irreparably damaged, or can the PCs salvage it? If so, how? What about the ammunition?
Short imersions (hours or days at least) are not going to do do any perminent damage to the weapon or in fact too much damage to the amunition.

Ok you wouldn't nessecarly want to use a gun immediately after it had been immersed but it should still work and it certainly shouldn't need more 'repair' than being thouroughly dried out and cleaned. In the event you do decide to fire the weapon straight away the worst you will get are reliability problems and increased wear on the action and some modern military firearms are, allegedly, immune to even these problems.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #27
pawsplay

Quote:
Thanks. I decided to allow them to count as Basic Equipment as long as they're sterilized and have the necessary accompanying medical gear. It also fits the campaign's theme, so it's a win-win.

That said, i'm sure the medic will prefer actual surgical gear ;-).

---

I know that Samuel Colt used to get a kick out of taking one of his revolvers, tossing into a tank of water for a few hours, then drying it off with a handkerchief and firing it. Virtually anything made with modern machining and with some eye to durability can take a little water. It would be difficult to use a bolt-action rifle in hunting if a little rain was going to foul it up.
pawsplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:24 PM   #28
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

Quote:
Depends on what kind of water and how long it's underwater for. A dunk in clean water won't do anything, if you drop it in a muddy river and fish it out a few hours later, it's going to need a good cleaning. Leave it in an acidic peat bog for a month and it's permanently wrecked.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #29
tanniynim

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
Clamps. Clamps would help with a bullet wound. As for amputation... my experience suggests that a good angle saw is not going to get "jammed up" on gore. I've seen the aftereffects of an angle saw converting human fingers into pink mist.
An angle saw? No, but a jigsaw, sawzall, drill, chainsaw, or other small tool will most definitely get gummed up.

Clamps are definitely a good idea, although I might prefer a nice set of pliers and a strap-wrench. Which *could* be found at a job site.
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:35 PM   #30
Ragitsu
Banned

Thank you all for the answers regarding guns being immersed in water. While the PCs may eventually get waterproof backpacks, it's comforting to know they will not be completely hosed if they have to swim through an underwater tunnel :-).

---

If left in a drum/can, how long will fuel last before it becomes unusable?

Last edited by Ragitsu; 06-29-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Tags
answers, campaign, improvised surgery tools, q&a, questions, random, sniper rifle svd psl