Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #21
Kaldrin

Default Re: Generic Question Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
About how much would you say, in pounds, is the amount to feed a combat active person for three days?
Well, trail mix is around 450-490 calories per 100g. Average combat fighting man can need anywhere from 3000-4000 calories per day (or even more), depending on physical exertion. Jerky is only slightly less per 100g, so you can figure it based on the weight of trail mix.

So, look at 4000 calories divided 450, is 888g. Call it 900g to make it even. Multiply by 3 for the number of days and you get 2.7kg, roughly. Might be able to get away with 2.5kg (about 5.5 pounds). It's only shorting the total by 300 calories per day or so. Your water will account for more weight... ammo probably even more.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #22
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin View Post
Well, trail mix is around 450-490 calories per 100g. Average combat fighting man can need anywhere from 3000-4000 calories per day (or even more), depending on physical exertion. Jerky is only slightly less per 100g, so you can figure it based on the weight of trail mix.

So, look at 4000 calories divided 450, is 888g. Call it 900g to make it even. Multiply by 3 for the number of days and you get 2.7kg, roughly. Might be able to get away with 2.5kg (about 5.5 pounds). It's only shorting the total by 300 calories per day or so. Your water will account for more weight... ammo probably even more.
I sure hope I can plausibly write in the discovery of jerky and trail mix, or perhaps introduce a way for the PCs to make their own.

In any event, thank you Kaldrin.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:20 PM   #23
weby

Two notes:
On the demolition: as Kromm says part of the killer effect of things exploding under a vehicle is th tracpping of the explosion under the vehicle.

That is why mine resistant vehicles tend to be V form at bottom to deflect it away. (They also tend to be wheeled and ride very high. In Gurps terms probably getting a damage reduction due to range to explosion)

On food:
Fighting men need a minimum of 3000 kcal/day, when in field but not very acrive. More likely 5000-6000 kcal in active operations for infantry that is not mechanised.

As Kaldrin says, the highest calorie foods are that light.

More normal food is way heavier as it tends to include water. For example MREs give about 1200 kcal and weigh about 1.5lb each, so they would require 4.5lb/day at minimum.

Note that in reality people in field tend to not eat enough during the hardest times, instead using stored energy and then when the intensity lowers or the patrol/attack is over eat more to regain it.
weby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:32 AM   #24
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
That is why mine resistant vehicles tend to be V form at bottom to deflect it away. (They also tend to be wheeled and ride very high. In Gurps terms probably getting a damage reduction due to range to explosion)
Well, the APC in mind is wheeled, but it's clearance isn't particularly high, making it a valid target for the multiplied explosive damage from underneath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weby View Post
On food:
Fighting men need a minimum of 3000 kcal/day, when in field but not very acrive. More likely 5000-6000 kcal in active operations for infantry that is not mechanised.

Note that in reality people in field tend to not eat enough during the hardest times, instead using stored energy and then when the intensity lowers or the patrol/attack is over eat more to regain it.
Since they won't be mechanized for most of the time, I envision the former amount will be the case. Thank you for contributing to the solution :-)!

---

Next: a PC has "Code of Honor: Hippocratic Oath", and I know what it stands for, but I am at a loss for ways to make a test of character relating to it/a situation in which he would have to struggle to uphold it. Any ideas?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #25
Ragitsu
Banned

Wow, this got bumped away fast :-o.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #26
torishmiaka

Quote:
Well, the APC in mind is wheeled, but it's clearance isn't particularly high, making it a valid target for the multiplied explosive damage from underneath.

Since they won't be mechanized for most of the time, I envision the former amount will be the case. Thank you for contributing to the solution :-)!

---

Next: a PC has "Code of Honor: Hippocratic Oath", and I know what it stands for, but I am at a loss for ways to make a test of character relating to it/a situation in which he would have to struggle to uphold it. Any ideas?
see if you can pay him money to perscibe a lethal drug, or to deliberately make a surgery go wrong,
torishmiaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #27
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by torishmiaka View Post
see if you can pay him money to perscibe a lethal drug, or to deliberately make a surgery go wrong,
A shame the doctor has no other "vices", otherwise this may have worked.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #28
Gizensha

Quote:
Isn't the way Doctor's morality is tested in fiction usually that someone they know is a remorseless killer/whatever needs life saving medical aid?
Gizensha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #29
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizensha View Post
Isn't the way Doctor's morality is tested in fiction usually that someone they know is a remorseless killer/whatever needs life saving medical aid?
That might be a little tricky, considering the enemy isn't particularly human or compassionate to any significant degree.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #30
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
A shell like one of those going off under a vehicle would generate a confined blast between the ground and the vehicle's underbelly.
A vehicle up-armored against mines might have DR 40-70 (see High-Tech, pp. 238-244), and not be a whole lot less doomed. Everybody inside is assuredly dead. Any vehicle lighter than a proper tank is crippled and possibly a write-off.
Note that specific mine protected vehicles exist:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casspir
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo...tected_vehicle)

Amongst other things, they have V-shaped undersides so that the blast is not confined. They also deliberately write off the drive train is case of an attack, preferring to protect the passengers/cargo.

A Casspir can protect it's occupants from an anti-tank mine.

Note that these things aren't exactly common, however.
martinl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
answers, explosives, firearms, q&a, questions, random