Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
keimo

Default Just a couple of questions...

I cannot find anywhere in the rulebook that TELLS you how to determine your gender. I am ASSUMING that your gender corresonds to the MALE or FEMALE icon on your CLASS or RACE card. Which is fine, but what happens when your race is male and your class is female?

We just haven't been able to figure that one out.

Also, real quick... I am assuming that you can only have on one piece of armor for each normal slot (i.e. one ARMOR, one HAT, one BOOTS, etc.), but how many items like potions, etc. can you have on the table at once? We have played twice now under the assumtion that you can have unlimited which again is fine, but it makes for a lot of cards on the table.

And LASTLY, when you decide to NOT be a race or class because oof BAD STUFF or a hindrence/ help to fighting a certain monster, WHEN do you declare "OK, I am nolonger x".

We have had discussions because players want to do that after they enter a new room, roll a monster and that monster is detrimental to their current race/ class and so they want to drop it IMMEDIATELY before they roll to fight.

It is MY understanding that you cannot do that. You would have to say "OK I nolonger want to be x" BEFORE you actually enter the room. Once combat begins, it's too late to do that for the current turn? Am I right on that?
keimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Just a couple of questions...

Your character's gender is your gender. (Last sentence of the first paragraph under "Character Stats," page 15, "Your character’s sex starts off the same as your own.")

The rules tell you that you may use 1 Armor, 1 Headgear, 1 Footgear and 2 Hands worth of Items. The rules also tell you that you may carry 2 Items of those types that you can not or are not using in your backpack. Anything else that does not take a slot may be used, and Items like potions or scrolls, go on your belt. (I'm not going to cut and paste all of page 16 and the top of page 17, but I will suggest you read them again since they cover all of this in greater detail.)

You may discard your Race or Class at any time. Any time. Again, for emphasis: ANY TIME. That means during combat. That means before combat. That means after combat. That means not even on your own turn. (Page 15 also, under sub-heading "Race", first sentence of the second paragraph: "You can discard a Race card at any time, even in combat[.]", also first sentence of the third paragraph under the sub-heading, "Class": "You can discard a Class card at any time, even in combat[.]")
MiB #1029

Last edited by MunchkinMan; 03-08-2009 at 04:42 PM.
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #3
zooma

Quote:
Originally Posted by keimo
I cannot find anywhere in the rulebook that TELLS you how to determine your gender. I am ASSUMING that your gender corresonds to the MALE or FEMALE icon on your CLASS or RACE card. Which is fine, but what happens when your race is male and your class is female?

We just haven't been able to figure that one out.
In the card game, you start as the same sex you are in real life, and it can be modified from there. I don't see the icons of which you speak.

EDIT - Thanks Munchkin Man. I knew it was there somewhere but I find it harder to find any information scrolling through my screen.

Quote:
Also, real quick... I am assuming that you can only have on one piece of armor for each normal slot (i.e. one ARMOR, one HAT, one BOOTS, etc.), but how many items like potions, etc. can you have on the table at once? We have played twice now under the assumtion that you can have unlimited which again is fine, but it makes for a lot of cards on the table.
From page 16 of the rules:
Your Belt
Quote:
If an Item is not worn and does not require Hands, then it is carried
“on your belt.” Typical belt items are one-shots, mostly Scrolls and
Potions. You may have any number of Items on your belt.

Quote:
And LASTLY, when you decide to NOT be a race or class because oof BAD STUFF or a hindrence/ help to fighting a certain monster, WHEN do you declare "OK, I am nolonger x".

We have had discussions because players want to do that after they enter a new room, roll a monster and that monster is detrimental to their current race/ class and so they want to drop it IMMEDIATELY before they roll to fight.

It is MY understanding that you cannot do that. You would have to say "OK I nolonger want to be x" BEFORE you actually enter the room. Once combat begins, it's too late to do that for the current turn? Am I right on that?
From page 17 of the rules:
Quote:
You may discard a Class or Race at any time.
zooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
keimo

Ok cool. I looked and looked and never found the item about your sex starting out as you are. What I meant by "icon" is that on every race or class card, the PERSON on that card is either MALE or FEMALE. That is what we were going by.

And thanks for clearing up the "discard race at ANY time". I just had a couple of people concerned that (keep in mind this is our first Munchkin game) being able to call "nolongerx" AFTER you got to see what the monster was was kinda lame. (they lost the game and that could have had an effect on them as well :) )
keimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
KrakenFan69

From page 16 of the rules:
Your Belt

If an Item is not worn and does not require Hands, then it is carried
“on your belt.” Typical belt items are one-shots, mostly Scrolls and
Potions. You may have any number of Items on your belt.

So reguarding your belt, Do these cards need to be laid in front of you on the table with the Feet, Headgear and Armour you are wearing? Then Any other DxM and Treasure cards held in your hand? I'm having trouble getting to grips with this. As per the 5 card rule, do cards played in front of you count towards this total?

Thanks

Kraken Fan # 69
KrakenFan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #6
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrakenFan69
So reguarding your belt, Do these cards need to be laid in front of you on the table with the Feet, Headgear and Armour you are wearing? Then Any other DxM and Treasure cards held in your hand? I'm having trouble getting to grips with this. As per the 5 card rule, do cards played in front of you count towards this total?
Cards in your hand are not items (yet) and are subject to the 5-card limit. One-shot Item cards on the table are on your belt and are not subject to the 5-card limit. However, you can play a one-shot Item card from your hand in combat as though it were on your belt.

It's a tradeoff. By keeping a one-shot in your hand, the other players don't know what it is - but you can only do that with up to 5 cards. By playing it to your belt, you expose it to the other players, but you can have more of 'em.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
ArcadianRefugee

Quote:
I cannot find anywhere in the rulebook that TELLS you how to determine your gender.
Man, someone could've responded to that so interestingly.
Old 03-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
Quaff_fu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcadianRefugee
Man, someone could've responded to that so interestingly.

What Sex/Gender Do You Start The Game With?

The answer to this question is in the rules but it keeps coming up. So I’m here to help those in need. I made a questionnaire to solve all the confusion for all time.

1) What sex/gender were you born with?

A: Male
B: Female
C: Undetermined.

2) Has your sex/gender changed by elective surgery, divine intervention (or whatever) since your birth?

D: Yes
E: No

3) Are you mixed gender by elective surgery, divine intervention, whatever?

F: Yes
G: No

4) Has your sex/gender been lost to a Curse, Trap, Court Order, or other Bad Stuff?

H: Yes
I: No

5) Are you a genderless Alien Life Form, or an Artificial Life Form (Killer Android Programmed To Eliminate All Inferred Life Forms)?

J: Yes
K: No

Question 1) results.

If you answer A: You start the game as a Male.

If you answer B: You start the game as a Female.

If you answer C: Play the game with all the advantages and no disadvantage of both genders. But with the first Change Sex event you suffer the effects and now you have to choose your gender (choose wisely).

Question 2) results.

If you answer D: Start the game with your current (not birth) gender.

If you answer E: Stay with your answer from question 1.

Question 3) results.

If you answered F: Play the game with all the advantages and no disadvantage of both genders. But with the first Change Sex event you suffer double the effects and now you have to choose your gender (choose wisely).

If you answer G: Stay with your answer from question 1.

Question 4) results

If you answered H: Too bad, it sucks to be you. Stay with your answer from question 1.

If you answered I: Stay with your answer from question 1.

Question 5) results

If you answered J: You get no advantages or disadvantages for gender, and Sex Change events have no effect on you.

If you answered K: Stay with your answer from question 1.

Pat

Last edited by angiek; 03-21-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: clarity, formatting
Quaff_fu is offline   Reply With Quote