Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2009, 04:17 PM   #31
Jonas

Default Re: My TL 7-10 semi Post-Apocalyptic Campaign Question Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Thank you all for the answers regarding guns being immersed in water. While the PCs may eventually get waterproof backpacks, it's comforting to know they will not be completely hosed if they have to swim through an underwater tunnel :-).

---

if left in a drum/can, how long will fuel last before it becomes unusable?
Depends on the type of fuel, what sort of contamination it has if any, where its stored, how exactly its stored, if its been given any treatments for stabilization, and if you need to use it right away or can take time to run it through a filter to scrub it first. What do you specifically have in mind?
----
Per ardua ad astra "Through hard-work to the stars."
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #32
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Depends on the type of fuel, what sort of contamination it has if any, where its stored, how exactly its stored, if its been given any treatments for stabilization, and if you need to use it right away or can take time to run it through a filter to scrub it first. What do you specifically have in mind?
My apologies. I was pressed for the time and didn't specify.

The PCs will be locating an old Skoda automobile factory of sorts in order to gather supplies for their repair of a motorboat (sure, it's not an exact fit, but they will be able to approximate the correct replacement parts). In there, I was hoping to stash away an old drum of gasoline/diesel (whichever the boat will take) for them to discover in order to fuel the vehicle.

Now, if it had to be recently produced due to having a short shelf-life, i'll need to find another way to make it's discovery feasible.
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 AM   #33
Icelander

Quote:
Now, if it had to be recently produced due to having a short shelf-life, i'll need to find another way to make it's discovery feasible.
Unless the 'old' facility is less than two years old, the fuel is likely to be past its shelf life.

Now, assuming that the fuel had been given stabilisation treatments (not a given, but likely if it is a substantial quantity), it can stay useable for longer than official shelf life numbers indicate. If you have time to filter it, it may well be that even a decade old gasoline can be used.

But it's not certain, it may not even be likely and as for longer than that, probably not.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 AM   #34
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Unstabilized gasoline starts breaking down at about 3 months, and is mostly useless by the 6 month mark. With a stabilizer like Sta-bil, it can last up to a year.

Storing it in an air tight container with a very small amount of surface area can increase this a bit. The more surface area, especially if that surface area interfaces with air, the faster it will degrade.

Edit: I had to do some research on this myself a couple years ago for a post apoc setting.
MIB #1457

Last edited by sjard; 06-30-2009 at 01:48 AM.
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:17 AM   #35
Ragitsu
Banned

Hey guys.

A question on medical supplies: generally, how long would the contents of a sealed/shut first aid or full medical kit last before being unsafe to use on injuries? Are there any critical medicines or salves that can last virtually forever?

I ask because I am trying to make scavenging at least somewhat more realistic.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #36
Ragitsu
Banned

That got skipped down very fast. Yikes!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:58 PM   #37
David Johnston2

Quote:
Hey guys.

A question on medical supplies: generally, how long would the contents of a sealed/shut first aid or full medical kit last before being unsafe to use on injuries? Are there any critical medicines or salves that can last virtually forever?

I ask because I am trying to make scavenging at least somewhat more realistic.
Hemostatic agents have a shelf life of about two years but after that they won't become dangerous. They just won't work. Prescription drugs like painkillers can last from 5 to 15 years before losing potency depending on local conditions. If it's in a desert it could last 50 years. Once again, they don't normally become poisonous, just worthless. The adhesive on bandages will also last for years but eventually will become stiff and not sticky. The official shelf-life of medical antiseptic is 5 years, but that's arbitrary. It will last longer than that.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #38
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Hemostatic agents have a shelf life of about two years but after that they won't become dangerous. They just won't work. Prescription drugs like painkillers can last from 5 to 15 years before losing potency depending on local conditions. If it's in a desert it could last 50 years. Once again, they don't normally become poisonous, just worthless. The adhesive on bandages will also last for years but eventually will become stiff and not sticky. The official shelf-life of medical antiseptic is 5 years, but that's arbitrary. It will last longer than that.
Thank you, David Johnston2. Does that also apply to hydrogen peroxide, burn creams and the like?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #39
Veen

H202 depens on the percentage and how its stored. It slowly degrades into water and oxygen.

Burncream has a short shell life if I remember correctly, but should be somewhat easy to make if you have the correct skills.
Veen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
answers, campaign, improvised surgery tools, q&a, questions, random, sniper rifle svd psl