Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 PM   #1
scorpydude

Default 2 hours to read the rules 5 hours to play :(

i brought this game for a bazzilion dollars after doing a stack of research on the best dungeon crawl for me (something not to complex and not to much role playing).

it took us (4 players) 2 hours+ to read all the rules and understand them and their overlap/contraditions and then it took about 5 hours for someone to reach level 10 and kill the boss. the only reason it ended is because we all didnt munchkinise the player trying to win.

Community resources
I goto say this game could have FAR more supporting resources. I like the flow chart made for munchkin the card game, would be nice if someone could make one for munchkin quest. Even the FAQ for munchkin on the official site is rather dismal...

Time to play
The influx of DuesEXM cards we had was completly crazy. We had explored every time in the game and most players were only level 7. Constant curses and stuffing each other over despite the occasianl alliance etc slowed the game to an absolute crawl. Some players had 4 move others have 5-6 hitpoints or whatever. Something really needs to be done to speed up the game play.

I've read up on how to speed thigns up and im going to reduce all player move to 2 and make max 1 new exploration per turn. I hear that works well as well as reduce the number of duesxm cards that come out per turn using the guidelines found here http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=59749

Overall at the moment im really disapointed with my purchase. We've only spent one full day (over 8 hours+) on the game but if things dont start to get better in both the ease of play and the speed of play i'm going to really be off any more sjgames... games.

Anyone who can offer tips, resources or rule changes etc please do so... would love to talk about a few things... like why all our monsters for some reason managed to pool around me ... our dungeon was structured like a massize zig zag... and i was stun with about 3-4 monsters around me in the lower right hand corner... below is a pic where you can see i am (yellow) soon after that pic i was surrounded in all 3 rooms that ajoined me for about 4-5 turns+

if you can see anythign in this pic that we were doing wrong or any comments please drop in and have your say

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5607/dsc00893p.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/5607/dsc00893p.jpg
scorpydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
RevBob

Default Re: 2 hours to read the rules 5 hours to play :(

Of course, layout depends on the exploration decisions people make; that's not really something that can be constrained by the rules.

Looking at the image, my first question is why there's a monster in the Entrance. This, and your note about unusual clumping, leads me to wonder if perhaps Monster Movement went astray somehow.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
scorpydude

You know... for the life of me i cannot explain why there is a monster in the entrance...

Al I can say is that there wasn't a monster in the entrance unless there was a lvl 10 person battling it on the way out... No idea why there is one there in that pic haha. how embarrassing.

i'll read up on monster movement especially and make sure we do it correctly.

after the players turn the colored 6 dice is rolled, say it rolls a yellow, ALL monsters move in the direction arrows that are dictated in yellow (except for those monsters that move 'against the grain' or 'linger' [aka a question mark foot] that move in reverse etc)
scorpydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Cheese8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpydude View Post

Community resources
I goto say this game could have FAR more supporting resources. I like the flow chart made for munchkin the card game, would be nice if someone could make one for munchkin quest. Even the FAQ for munchkin on the official site is rather dismal...
Just as a note on this, the resources for this game will come with time. This is still a relatively new game(still under a year old), so the resources are still just being figured out. Where as Munchkin(the card game) is nearly 10 years old, which is why it has a lot of resources at the ready.

With time there will be a lot more resources, including a FAQ, Errata, and more i'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpydude
after the players turn the colored 6 dice is rolled, say it rolls a yellow, ALL monsters move in the direction arrows that are dictated in yellow (except for those monsters that move 'against the grain' or 'linger' [aka a question mark foot] that move in reverse etc)
Today 06:03 PM
sounds like you have the monster movement down to me. Just some times monsters do end up clumping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpydude
Overall at the moment im really disapointed with my purchase. We've only spent one full day (over 8 hours+) on the game but if things dont start to get better in both the ease of play and the speed of play i'm going to really be off any more sjgames... games.
The ease of play will come with being more familiar with the game. That also goes for the speed of play. Play few more times and you should notice a decrease in time to play.

However, with a few other exceptions, most other SJGames games are a lot easier to get a hang of and also have a quick play time. The card game of Munchkin for example (unless you are playing with some real cutthroat players). Ninja Burger, SPANC, and Chez Geek are some really good quick games.

If MQ is your first SJGames game, then I would highly suggest looking into some of the card games before completely condeming them.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
ResidentAsylum

Specifics(about rules) aside, speed of gameplay will come with experience... my first time was similar. After you've played a game or 2 with the same people, the game overall will run faster. Then you can enjoy more the true nature of the game.