Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 03:24 AM   #11
Icelander

Default Re: Generic Question Thread, Part Deux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
*cricket chirps*

Yikes. I hope they're back soon :-(.
In order to make answers more broadly useful to other people than the one who asked the original question, SJ Games asks that you use informative thread titles which make it easier for others to determine the subject of your thread.

That means that for each question or perhaps a closely related* group of questions, one should create a thread with a title that reflects the question you have.

Do you feel that it is unfair to expect this of you?

The etiquette on these forums is that everyone does his best to follow this guideline, because we all want the forums to be useful to gamers. We also tend to frown on repeated bumping of own threads, especially if the reason for that bumping is the obstinate refusal to take helpful guidance as to how you might better receive answers to your queries.

I'm not a moderator and I can't force you to follow good etiquette. I certainly don't want to insult you or cause you to feel unwelcome on our forums. But I really do think you'd find people more prepared to help you with your queries if they could more easily determine what you were asking about. 'Generic Question Thread' doesn't tell anyone anything and you will get a much lesser proportion of forumites reading your posts.

And even though it may be terrible to consider it, it is possible that even those who do read it may not be as inclined to spend their time on finding your answers for you if you are unwilling to adopt basic forum etiquette when you are asked.

*Related by subject, not by the fact that they all related to to the same campaign.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:03 AM   #12
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default *Enters generic thread name and number*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
[ . . . ]
*Greets all*

*Quotes an anecdote which supposedly inspired questions*

*Asks a generic question, without providing any setting details, GM-preference assumptions*

*Provides several incomplete variants of answering it, for the sole purpose of encouraging discussion (because none of them is ready to use as is)*

*Thanks everybody in advance*

Hey, what? It's a generic thread . . .
Old 06-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #13
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: *Enters generic thread name and number*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
*Greets all*

*Quotes an anecdote which supposedly inspired questions*

*Asks a generic question, without providing any setting details, GM-preference assumptions*

*Provides several incomplete variants of answering it, for the sole purpose of encouraging discussion (because none of them is ready to use as is)*

*Thanks everybody in advance*

Hey, what? It's a generic thread . . .
*Provides a generic answer*

*Offers a generic witticism, which may or (more likely) may not actually be witty*

Have a generic response . . .
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #14
Ragitsu
Banned

Just bringing this up.

(Darn that ten character minimum requirement)
Old 06-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #15
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Just bringing this up.
Ok. Seriously. Why are you doing this? You've been told, multiple times, that this is not the way to get answers to your questions. Bumping these threads is clearly not working, and, frankly, it's just rude - if no one was able to answer your question the first two or three times you posted it, it's not going to get answered, and bumping the thread just pushes down threads people are reading.
At this point, it seems that you're simply ignoring everything people say, which does not endear you to me, anyway, and I doubt makes you very popular with anyone else. I'm now officially done with these threads.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
Wraithe

Quote:
Just bringing this up.

(Darn that ten character minimum requirement)
Wow, it's just in one ear and out the other here, isn't it?

Let me be clear, I'm done even bothering reading these "Generic" threads from you. I've been pretty much only reading to wonder how much it takes for you to get the "hint" at this point anyways.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #17
Ragitsu
Banned

Thank you both for your advice.

However, I have already stated that I prefer not to create multiple topics. Having said that, please realize that while I am free to bump this topic from time to time (as seemingly "inefficient" as it may be), you are also free not to post in here (if it bothers you).
Old 06-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #18
Gudiomen

And to be even "more perfectly clear" nobody's answering or posting in this thread, start new ones, with proper titles. Don't bump this anymore, if you insist on doing it, it'll just get locked.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:31 AM   #19
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Having said that, please realize that while I am free to bump this topic from time to time...

Bumping threads is considered highly discourteous, if not outright rude, and is very much frowned upon on these boards. Please do not do so.
MIB #1457
Old 06-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #20
Paul

Quote:
However, I have already stated that I prefer not to create multiple topics.
I'm locking this thread, as it as wandered too afield of the original question to be useful.

Ragitsu: the "one question per thread, with descriptive titles" issue has been brought up to you before. I realize this goes against your personal style, but it is the way this community prefers to operate. Continuing with this trend of ignoring all advice makes you seem deliberately obstinate.

If you're asking for help, it only makes sense to follow the guidelines of those you're asking for help from.

Tags
answers, q&a, questions, random