Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
Crichton

Default Half Breed vs monster query

Hi all,

Firstly, Munchkin Quest... WOW awesome game, lighthearted and genius dungeon crawling :)

Quick query that was raised in our first couple of games last Saturday.

One of the Monster cards (or maybe more!!) states it gets +3 when fighting either Dwarfs or Halflings (see where this is headed??)

Player 1 was a Dwarf / Halfling half breed at the time and read the rules as the monster getting a +6 bonus (as a half breed gets both disadvantages and advantages of both races unless half human)

I myself was a bit on the fence so thought I would get an opinion on here, would the monster indeed get whipped into a crazed killing frenzy due to the half breed being both quoted on its card thus getting a +6 bonus or does it only get +3 as written on the card despite the half breed being both mentioned races?

Thanks

Last edited by Crichton; 03-10-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Crichton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Cheese8242

Default Re: Half Breed vs monster query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crichton
Hi all,

Firstly, Munchkin Quest... WOW awesome game, lighthearted and genius dungeon crawling :)

Quick query that was raised in our first couple of games last Saturday.

One of the Monster cards (or maybe more!!) states it gets +3 when fighting either Dwarfs or Halflings (see where this is headed??)

Player 1 was a Dwarf / Halfling half breed at the time and read the rules as the monster getting a +6 bonus (as a half breed gets both disadvantages and advantages of both races unless half human)

I myself was a bit on the fence so thought I would get an opinion on here, would the monster indeed get whipped into a crazed killing frenzy due to the half breed being both quoted on its card thus getting a +6 bonus or does it only get +3 as written on the card despite the half breed being both mentioned races?

Thanks

The monster would indeed get +6, +3 for the munchkin being Halfling and +3 for the munchkin also being dwarf.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Half Breed monster query

Um, depends on the wording of the bonus. If that's a single bonus for fighting a Halfling or a Dwarf, that's a bonus against a possible character type out of a collection and would only be counted once, even if one character was a Dwarf, and a helper was a Halfling. If there were separate bonuses (one for one, one for the other), then both bonuses would be counted.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
Um, depends on the wording of the bonus. If that's a single bonus for fighting a Halfling or a Dwarf, that's a bonus against a possible character type out of a collection and would only be counted once, even if one character was a Dwarf, and a helper was a Halfling. If there were separate bonuses (one for one, one for the other), then both bonuses would be counted.
Any chance you could post an example?
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel
Any chance you could post an example?
Maybe, but once I am at home with a computer that has the card/room databases on it. You'll have to wait a few hours for that, unfortunately.
MiB #1029
Old 03-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Okay, so as an example, the Over Bear says "+3 against Dwarves and Halflings," which is one bonus if fighting against a Dwarf or Halfling. Once you've got the bonus, you can't get it again.

Now, the Monster The GM Made Up Himself has a laundry list: +4 against Dwarves, +2 against females, -3 against Wizards, -2 if it’s Saturday, -5 if you have Protection from Flame. The bonuses against Dwarves and Females are separate bonuses, so a female Dwarf would raise that Monster's ire enough to get that +6. I'm not finding any case where there are different bonuses for different classes or races on the same Monster, mostly a bonus for one class and a penalty for another.
MiB #1029
Old 03-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
Okay, so as an example, the Over Bear says "+3 against Dwarves and Halflings," which is one bonus if fighting against a Dwarf or Halfling. Once you've got the bonus, you can't get it again.

Now, the Monster The GM Made Up Himself has a laundry list: +4 against Dwarves, +2 against females, -3 against Wizards, -2 if it’s Saturday, -5 if you have Protection from Flame. The bonuses against Dwarves and Females are separate bonuses, so a female Dwarf would raise that Monster's ire enough to get that +6. I'm not finding any case where there are different bonuses for different classes or races on the same Monster, mostly a bonus for one class and a penalty for another.
Ok. So basically if it says <foo> AND <bar> it applies once but if they are separated by a "," then they are cumulative.

Sounds good. The original answer you gave sounded confusing to me. I dont know if it was a morning without my coffee or what.

Thank you for clarifying.

Sentinel
Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote