Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #1
Topgun505

Default Big item effects on movement

So you can carry 1 big item with no penalty. For each additional big item after that you have a -1 move penalty. Is this only for items carried or does this apply to items in your pack as well?
Old 02-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Big item effects on movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun505
So you can carry 1 big item with no penalty. For each additional big item after that you have a -1 move penalty. Is this only for items carried or does this apply to items in your pack as well?
Items in your pack are being carried, just not in use. So yes, the penalty applies.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 02-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Toad

My friend and I were playing MQ for the first time this week and had a very similar question...only it was regarding worn Big Items (such as Big Armor).

Parsing the rules with a fine tooth comb it seemed that carried meant anything in your hands or on your head. But on the other hand that seemed a little out-of-spirit with the concept of Big Items.

Since the game was just to get a feel for the mechanics and since we were almost ready to pack up and go home anyway we didn't worry about the ruling so much.

For the next time we pull out MQ to play with our usual suspects of board gaming geeks, it would be nice to get a definitive understanding of what "carry" means. Does "carry" mean all items on the table in front of me? Does "carry" mean only items in my hands and in my pack? Or does "Carrie" mean that I am about to experience the worst Prom evar?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
bonetm

"Carried" means every item you are wearing plus every item in the backpack plus your belt. Cards on your hand are not considered Itens until you play them on the table.
MiB: #1602
Old 02-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard
Items in your pack are being carried, just not in use. So yes, the penalty applies.
To read the rules as written, Items are carried, worn or packed. It's not that hard to not infer that "carried" is a separate concept from "worn" and "packed," such that if you have Big Item in your pack that it would not affect your Move as the rules do say that if you don't want to wear or carry something, you must put it in your pack. This will have to get fixed, I think, but I need to re-read later and see if I'm missing anything that would make it all clear. Either way, we're looking at a FAQ entry at the minimum. . .
MiB #1029
Old 02-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
To read the rules as written, Items are carried, worn or packed. It's not that hard to not infer that "carried" is a separate concept from "worn" and "packed," such that if you have Big Item in your pack that it would not affect your Move as the rules do say that if you don't want to wear or carry something, you must put it in your pack. This will have to get fixed, I think, but I need to re-read later and see if I'm missing anything that would make it all clear. Either way, we're looking at a FAQ entry at the minimum. . .
Eric,
Just so that I understand what you are saying:

1) carried, worn, and packed are 3 different concepts.
2) Big Items (more than 1) should incur a Movement penalty regardless of how they are transported by your Munchkin.

(I highlight should because the rules state only [U]carried[/U ]Big Items apply to the Movement penalty, but from everyone's postings I gather that you all agree this is not in the spirit of Big Items).
Old 02-09-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad
Eric,
Just so that I understand what you are saying:

1) carried, worn, and packed are 3 different concepts.
2) Big Items (more than 1) should incur a Movement penalty regardless of how they are transported by your Munchkin.

(I highlight should because the rules state only [U]carried[/U ]Big Items apply to the Movement penalty, but from everyone's postings I gather that you all agree this is not in the spirit of Big Items).
This seems like a good summary to me. Thanks for bringing this rule oversight to our attention.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Old 03-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Crichton

I'm not sure I would see this as a "rules oversight", if you look at it logically.

Items in hand and worn - all carried

Items on Belt - well, you have to "wear" a belt and if you aren't "carrying" the items on yoru belt then you have left them on the floor.

Same deal with the "Packed" items that are in your "Pack", if you aren't "carrying" your pack you are again surely just dropping items on the floor!

I read the rules as I believe they were intended that anything on the table in front of you whether worn, belted or packed is being "carried" by your munchkin as opposed to cards in your habe which aren't even in play.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
MunchkinMan

You got, I got it, Andrew got it, and a lot of other people got it, but the problem is that someone didn't. When I looked closer at it, I could see where more than on person could be confused, Andrew concurred, and we'll certainly do what we can to try to fix it in a later printing. Whether it's an oversight or a problem of wording or whatever doesn't matter; what matters is that there's a crack that people can fall into and it needs to get fixed. It's great that many of us can infer the appropriate intent, but if the actual intent can be missed due to a wording problem, it needs to get fixed.

So, I may have said this before, but it needs to get fixed. . .
MiB #1029
Closed Thread