Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Leynok

Default Dice Attack

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, but searching for this is practically impossible.

So we are playing a Supers game, and I want a character who attacks with Dice. The idea that her rolls 2 dice, and depending on the number, a different attack is performed. One dice determines the attack, the other gives him a buff.

I've been playing GURPS for a while now, but I really have no idea how to price an attack like this. My first thoughts are to make each Die an innate attack with different modes, then link it with the other one, but how would you price the limitations for needing to roll a die and get a specific number in order to use it?
Leynok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Dice Attack

Method one
Link the different powers together and give each an accessability limitation "Only when roll X"
That is valid by RAW but likely expensive.

Method Two
Build a set of alternative abilities and replace the "Ready" maneuver to change them with rolling the dice.
Then give each an accessibility limitation only when roll specific number. You should get a discount since you cant choose which one to use.
Also add a Nuiscance limitation that you must use the power when rolling the dice.

Not sure Method Two is prefectly RAW but I would think most GMs would allow it.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
LemmingLord

I'd make it a 5% enhancement. On the one hand you don't know exactly which attack you are getting, but on the other hand you do know it will be one of a distinct number of attacks you've determined in advance and can "throw it all" at your opponent eventually.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
Anaraxes

Actually, the 6-way linked version would call for rolling 6d6, and includes the possibility of hitting with more than 1 effect. You're activating six powers at once, each of which has an independent Accessibility with a 16% availability. (7-18% is canonically -35%, BTW.)

The AA version rates a small Nuisance Effect for not being able to select the best attack (fire, armor divisor, AoE, whatever is appropriate might not be available). Having to take a Ready if you don't like the power takes time away from combat.

I imagine the OP was thinking of something that could attack every turn, but with a random effect for each attack.

Is the target determined before the power is known? And there are buffs involved? That is, you have a chance of buffing your enemy? That's more annoying than having six attacks. You're not even certain you have an attack at hand. Or does the player know the power, and then gets to choose a target, so he can at least scatter buffs around the group rather than waste a turn?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Leynok

Quote:
I imagine the OP was thinking of something that could attack every turn, but with a random effect for each attack.
Yes, that was the idea.

Quote:
Is the target determined before the power is known? And there are buffs involved? That is, you have a chance of buffing your enemy? That's more annoying than having six attacks. You're not even certain you have an attack at hand. Or does the player know the power, and then gets to choose a target, so he can at least scatter buffs around the group rather than waste a turn?
Well, the idea is he has one dice for negitive effects (attacks and debuffs, to be used on enemies), another that buffs himself. But 1's would be a dud number, and either don't work, or may work in reverse to how he wants them to (debuff or damage himself, heal or buff the enemy)
And yeah, he doesn't know what attack he'll land. He doesn't roll it, and then get to choose his target.

Edit: Oh, and thanks everyone for your help =D

Last edited by Leynok; 11-25-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Method one
Link the different powers together and give each an accessability limitation "Only when roll X"
That is valid by RAW but likely expensive.

Method Two
Build a set of alternative abilities and replace the "Ready" maneuver to change them with rolling the dice.
Then give each an accessibility limitation only when roll specific number. You should get a discount since you cant choose which one to use.
Also add a Nuiscance limitation that you must use the power when rolling the dice.

Not sure Method Two is prefectly RAW but I would think most GMs would allow it.
I think #2 here is the best approach (and note that for Attacks, there is no Ready to change, it just becomes that the choice is random). The randomess should be a further limitation on all the powers involved.

The "1=dud or reverse effect" ... well 1 in 6 being a dud would be like Unreliable ... about midway between the 11 and 14 level of the original limitation so let's call that -15% ...

So, basically, you have 5 slots for each of the dice powers. Each slot has a "only when rolling X" Accessibility limitation of -20% in addition to any other applicable mods.

Cost calculated as Alternative Abilities for each "side" (most expensive full cost, others count at 1/5th cost). Then those final, totalled costs for each side/die are modified with Link and given Unreliable for the "1=dud" effect.

Workable?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #7
Leynok

Quote:
I think #2 here is the best approach (and note that for Attacks, there is no Ready to change, it just becomes that the choice is random). The randomess should be a further limitation on all the powers involved.

The "1=dud or reverse effect" ... well 1 in 6 being a dud would be like Unreliable ... about midway between the 11 and 14 level of the original limitation so let's call that -15% ...

So, basically, you have 5 slots for each of the dice powers. Each slot has a "only when rolling X" Accessibility limitation of -20% in addition to any other applicable mods.

Cost calculated as Alternative Abilities for each "side" (most expensive full cost, others count at 1/5th cost). Then those final, totalled costs for each side/die are modified with Link and given Unreliable for the "1=dud" effect.

Workable?
This should work fine. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wrathchild View Post

Is there a reason why rolling a 1 on a d6 is a -15% limitation, and rolling any of 2-6 on a d6 is each a -20% limitation?
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dice, innate attack, random