Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default When do you use a donkey, pony or mule? And for what?

I'm re-reading LTC3, but I don't think it is explained there, or anywhere else in GURPS, what the practical differences between various equines are.

Obviously horses are used for riding and pulling carts and ploughs.

But sometimes people use ponies? Why? What's the difference? Why might one choose to use a pony instead of a horse?

Same for donkeys, mules and all the other "European" equine variations. What are they good for? How do they differfrom each other?
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: When do you use a donkey, pony or mule? And for what?

Donkeys and mules don't need to be grain fed so are much cheaper to maintain. Also they can see where they place their back feet making them very sure footed in awkward terrain.

Ponies don't just mean small horses, as some breeds are bigger than many horses.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Actually, "pony" really does largely mean "small horse", even according to a lot of people that are really into horse breeds. They're the same species. The main criteria for most groups is height -- and naturally not all groups use exactly the same height. There are some groups that classify the animal by its parentage and breed, regardless of size. But the pony breeds got to be thought of as pony breeds in the first place because they were small horses, even if some individual ponies happen to be larger than the usual height. Then, sometimes the word gets used just because of application. Anything a polo player rides is a "polo pony", regardless of its actual size or genes.

Ponies are stronger than horses for their size, and are easier to keep, less food and less varied diet. Historically pony breeds usually developed in cold climates, so they're more tolerant of harsh weather than horses.

Donkeys and mules are similarly easier and cheaper to feed than horses. Both are stronger for their size than a horse. Donkeys have that reputation of being stubborn; mules are supposedly more compliant and intelligent. Donkeys are originally adapted to marginal deserts, so you might want those in that sort of terrain. Mules are supposed to have good endurance as well as strength.

Mules are almost always sterile, so you can't raise a herd of mules. You need to keep a herd of horses and donkeys to breed them.

Horses are the fastest, also the largest, so they will top out in the absolute strength category for draft purposes. Being taller is probably that much more of an advantage for warfare. And then, most people seem to think they're the most stylish, which isn't a negligible consideration when people choose their animal to ride or to pull their carriage.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
shawnhcorey

I know the Romans used to use mules because they as strong as a horse (in that time) and they can find forage where a horse would starve.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Dalillama

Donkeys and mules are slower than horses, but typically have more endurance. Donkeys are usually too small to ride, but mules, being slightly larger, can serve as mounts for smaller types (in a fantasy setting, smaller races could ride mules or donkeys without much difficulty, I think). Even mules that are large enough for riding make poor combat mounts, because they are much less willing to override their instinct to just get out of a dangerous situation than horses are. It's my understanding that they're less comfortable mounts than horses as well, due to their gait.
Dalillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Mules are almost always sterile, so you can't raise a herd of mules. You need to keep a herd of horses and donkeys to breed them.
Mules have donkey sires and horse dams. They often need step ladders to mate. Hinnies are the opposite.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Lord Carnifex

It's my understanding that mules are also less easily startled and less likely to bolt than horses. They're stubborn, but not as high strung.

Edit: The mules may be more stubborn, but are not as high strung as horses.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."

Last edited by Lord Carnifex; 04-13-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
It's my understanding that mules are also less easily startled and less likely to bolt than horses. They're stubborn, but not as high strung.
I always take that stubborn reputation with a grain of salt. Many horses will work themselves to death if told too. I consider mules more sensible than stubborn. :)
Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
Sam Cade

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
Donkeys are usually too small to ride, but mules, being slightly larger, can serve as mounts for smaller types (in a fantasy setting, smaller races could ride mules or donkeys without much difficulty, I think).
Depending on parentage, mules can be 16-17 hands tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAlillama View Post
It's my understanding that they're less comfortable mounts than horses as well, due to their gait.
It's lack of a gait that makes most mules ride like a box wagon. A well bred, gaited saddle mule is as smooth as glass.
http://www.americangaitedmule.com/

http://www.jpfo.org/
كافر
Sam Cade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
jason taylor

donkeys and mules are used in rougher terrain then horses. They are favored as pack animals when wagons are out of the question.