Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Stripe

Default [Magic] Lightning Whip

Seeking a clarification in regard to lightning whip, Magic, p. 196.

The spell can summon a lightning whip when cast. "Creates a whip of lightning in the caster's hand. It is wielded like a normal whip (p. B404), except that it always takes only one second to ready, and it cannot be used to parry or entangle."

However, it can also be enchanted on a whip. The enchantment description, though, doesn't say if the mundane whip becomes a lightning whip or if it merely casts the spell. Actually, the way it's written, I'd say a whip enchanted with lightning whip just casts the spell the same as a "rod, staff or wand."

Here is the item entry for lightning whip:

Item
Glove, whip, or jewelry. Usable only
by mages. Energy cost to create: 350.

So, what happens to the whip already in the caster's hand? is the caster now holding one regular whip and one lightning whip the same as if the whip were jewelry?

Does lightning whip have to be re-cast to gain the benefit of the spell?

Can it be cast at a length greater than the whip? What about less?

The way I'm ruling right now is that if a whip is enchanted with lightning whip, unfortunately, it has to be re-cast each time and then gains the attributes of the whip spell, including length.

Here's the item entry for lightning weapon, p. 198.

Item
A weapon that becomes electrified
whenever used, at no energy cost to
the user. Energy cost to create: 750; at
least $300 must be spent in platinum
and opal decorations.

Thanks!
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Dalillama

Default Re: [Magic] Lightning Whip

I'd say that, since this spell is distinct from Lightning weapon, if you have a whip encahnted witih it, it's a normal whip until you activate the spell. When the spell is activated, you end up holding a whip handle from which a Lightning Whip extends, and the normal whip is gone for the duration, replaced by a string of crackling lightning. That said, if the whip had Accuracy or similar enchantments, I'd allow them to apply to the Lightning version as well as the original.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Stripe

I guess this is probably another one of those spells... Does 3e Grimoire have any clarification? Mine is in a basement far from here.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Dalillama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
Does 3e Grimoire have any clarification?
HAHAHAHAHAHA...no.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
Faolyn

I would say that, if you're wielding a whip enchanted with Lightning Whip, it electrifies the whip, but if you're wearing gloves or jewelry of Lightning Whip, it creates a Lightning Whip magically. I'd say that the main advantages to having a whip enchanted with Lightning Whip is that, since there's a physical weapon there, you can parry and entangle with it; you wouldn't be able to do that with the jewelry or glove. Also, you could use the whip as a whip without electrifying it.

Also, the version in 4e Magic does more damage than the version presented in Grimoire. Which doesn't clarify the enchantment, BTW.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Stripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faolyn View Post
I'd say that the main advantages to having a whip enchanted with Lightning Whip is that, since there's a physical weapon there, you can parry and entangle with it;
But, in that case, it should do normal damage with a bonus just like Lightning Weapon, I'd think. Lightning Whip does a set 1d.

The Dungeon Fantasy monster wielding it has ST 26, and I think I'm going to use the rules in LTC2 to increase the whip to SM 2, thus increasing its max ST. Then I'm probably going to enchant it with Lightning Weapon and Graceful Weapon and add metallic embellishments with LT to satisfy it's partial metallic requirement -- if that's even necessary since the item entry doesn't explicitly call for such as it often does... Gah...

Same outcome, basically. Too bad Lightning Whip seems to be one of "those" spells. :(