Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 05-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #41
David Johansen

Default Re: 6e Car Wars, what do you want to see

Well, 1/64 has its issues, not the least of which is that most 1/64 cars ain't 1/64 they're whatever fit in the package. I like HO or N for Car Wars.

But be that as it may, let's look at the game.

2d6 roll over target number to hit is solid and should stay. Indeed I'd like to see it used for control rolls.

The turning key works fine and is a staple of Car Wars. In any case I want a Litko turning key. I think the handling track would need to go.

Second by second phased movement is probably too much. I think it would be best to just go to a one second turn. That would allow maneuver and hazard penalties to be tracked without a counter. Sure it makes initiative a bit of an issue but I think it would make sense to have cars move in order of their speed and allow a reaction / interrupt roll to prevent really ridiculous ramming strategies.

Damage is another tough one. Ablative armor is too much record keeping. I'd probably go to straight DR and internal structure. Depending on how fast / big the games are meant to be I'd even suggest damage markers and a small random chart.

Vehicle design should be pretty close to what it was though. I'd probably want rules for mecha and powered armor and ninjas but that's just me.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #42
owenmp

Micro Machines motorcycles are scaled correctly to Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. Unfortunately, Micro Machines have been out of print for many years.

Custom-designed plastic motorcycles in the same size as Micro Machines models, produced by SJ Games, would fill this vacuum for autoduellists.
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #43
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
Second by second phased movement is probably too much. I think it would be best to just go to a one second turn. That would allow maneuver and hazard penalties to be tracked without a counter. Sure it makes initiative a bit of an issue but I think it would make sense to have cars move in order of their speed and allow a reaction / interrupt roll to prevent really ridiculous ramming strategies.
So you would let a car going 90 mph move nine inches (in regular CW scale) all at one go?

No way this is going to work.
kjamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #44
Apache
On Notice

Personally, not defining how long a turn is would be better. Just say "a turn is 3-5 seconds or so", and leave the ground scale undefined. I wouldn't even try to scale speed with distance..ie, you don't go 55 MPH, you are either going "combat speed" or "cruise speed". Example, average compact with standard power plant goes 6 inches in cruise mode, 8 inches in combat mode. Yeah, I'm envisioning a 4x6 table to play on, especially in HW scale.

It's a game about armored cars with machine guns and flamethrowers trying to blow each other up, after all.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #45
kjamma4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I wouldn't even try to scale speed with distance..ie, you don't go 55 MPH, you are either going "combat speed" or "cruise speed". Example, average compact with standard power plant goes 6 inches in cruise mode, 8 inches in combat mode
Hey, how fast does your vehicle go? It goes "cruising speed"

Again, not working for me.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #46
Apache
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Hey, how fast does your vehicle go? It goes "cruising speed"

Again, not working for me.
So?

Works for lots of other people. Flames Of War has a wonky scale, as does most of Games Workshop titles (Battlefleet Gothic, W40K, etc).

The idea for 6e should be "fun beer&pretzels boardgame", not "simulation wargame of armed cars." First off, it didn't work in the first 5 editions, and secondly, all the record keeping was tedious in the extreme.

Debris counters, for the love of Pete.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #47
davester64

Quote:
So?

Works for lots of other people. Flames Of War has a wonky scale, as does most of Games Workshop titles (Battlefleet Gothic, W40K, etc).

The idea for 6e should be "fun beer&pretzels boardgame", not "simulation wargame of armed cars." First off, it didn't work in the first 5 editions, and secondly, all the record keeping was tedious in the extreme.

Debris counters, for the love of Pete.
Some folks like tedious record keeping.

And debris counters are fun, especially when folks have used cheap tires on their vehicle.
davester64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:07 AM   #48
Apache
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester64 View Post
Some folks like tedious record keeping.
Most don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester64 View Post
And debris counters are fun, especially when folks have used cheap tires on their vehicle.
They aren't much fun when they are so small and flimsy that every single bump on the table or slight breeze/sneeze blows them all over the map.

Not to mention being so small they are hard to handle.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #49
Jeffr0

I heard about these dudes that upscaled with hotwheels.

The debris counters they'd made were so awesome, every time someone took damage... the guys at the table chanted "DEBRIS! DEBRIS! DEBRIS DEBRIS!"

I like debris, though. I like how there is evidence of people scuffling and then when people drive back through, they have to make these maneuvers that are much worse than the D3 hazard they'd get hitting them....
Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #50
kjamma4

Quote:
The idea for 6e should be "fun beer&pretzels boardgame", not "simulation wargame of armed cars." First off, it didn't work in the first 5 editions,
Obviously we each have our own opinion but I did think it worked in the beginning. I think it eventually suffered from bloat which is why a total rules rewrite is needed.

I think CW is definitely not a beer & pretzels game and if you want to make it even more so than 5e, then I think 6e will be way too removed from what I'd like to see.

Quote:
and secondly, all the record keeping was tedious in the extreme.
Are you talking about the record keeping to PLAY the game or to DESIGN the vehicles? Again, if you think the record keeping to play the game is too much, your 6e is too far removed from mine.

[which again is cool - maybe my vision is not the vision of the people who will be the ones buying 6e]