Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
tadbolmont

Default Controlling People

Okay, so I'm trying to make a character who can take control of any number (or a large number if the former is not possible) of people. He can do this only through a phone call (meaning the best way to protect yourself from his control is to never answer your phone). How could this be modeled?
tadbolmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Default Re: Controlling People

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadbolmont View Post
Okay, so I'm trying to make a character who can take control of any number (or a large number if the former is not possible) of people. He can do this only through a phone call (meaning the best way to protect yourself from his control is to never answer your phone). How could this be modeled?
Does he have to call back for each new command?

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
tadbolmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Does he have to call back for each new command?
No, he can continue to control them telepathically unless he gets knocked out and/or that person successfully resists his control.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Lamech

Lets see here:
Mind Control, Weaponized-50% Malediction+200%, Long-Range+50%, cosmic doesn't need to clearly perceive the target+50%, must call over phone -20%, permanent +150%
I think that is roughly what you want. You'll may want "cosmic: critical failures don't break control for everyone". You also may want something to repeatedly attempt to control one person without that 24 hour limit. Also if this is one of those characters that needs to sleep, permanent +150% can become "fixed duration 3000 minutes+120%, terminating condition knock out mind controller-X%"
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Lets see here:
Mind Control, Weaponized-50% Malediction+200%, Long-Range+50%, cosmic doesn't need to clearly perceive the target+50%, must call over phone -20%, permanent +150%
I think that is roughly what you want. You'll may want "cosmic: critical failures don't break control for everyone". You also may want something to repeatedly attempt to control one person without that 24 hour limit. Also if this is one of those characters that needs to sleep, permanent +150% can become "fixed duration 3000 minutes+120%, terminating condition knock out mind controller-X%"
Don't you need Independent if your control doesn't require continuous Concentration? Also, what is the Weaponized limitation? I can't seem to find it in Powers or Basic.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
Don't you need Independent if your control doesn't require continuous Concentration? Also, what is the Weaponized limitation? I can't seem to find it in Powers or Basic.
You get one minute of lingering control per margin of success when you stop concentrating. So if he wins by 1 he gets a minute of control after concentrating stops. Except he has permanent so if he wins by one control lingers permanently.

Weaponized is from psionic powers. Although a closer reading of weaponized, mind control and malediction leads me to believe that it probably shouldn't be on it. Making the new build this:

Mind Control:, Malediction+200%, Long-Range+50%, cosmic doesn't need to clearly perceive the target+50%, must call over phone -20%, permanent +150%
Hiriko
Andrew
Old 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
tadbolmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
I think that is roughly what you want. You'll may want "cosmic: critical failures don't break control for everyone".
Would that also be a +50% enhancement?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
Lamech

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadbolmont View Post
Would that also be a +50% enhancement?
Probably. However, after re-reading powers there is an even better enhancement: independent+70%. It both eliminates the problems of a critical failure, AND eliminates the penalty for people already under your control.

So Mind Control:, Malediction+200%, Long-Range+50%, cosmic doesn't need to clearly perceive the target+50%, must call over phone -20%, permanent +150% independent+70%
Hiriko
Andrew