Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #21
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Mass Combat] + [UT] + [BIO] : Mods to make Super-Soldier (+200%) units?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
and as a Squad in high-tech+.
3 fireteams of 4 each + a headquarters element of 4 is 16 people.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:37 AM   #22
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [Mass Combat] + [UT] + [BIO] : Mods to make Super-Soldier (+200%) units?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
3 fireteams of 4 each + a headquarters element of 4 is 16 people.
That's weird. I envisioned squads as typically consisting of 2 fireteams, usually 5 people each (for militaries where a squad isn't the lowest tactical unit). Not doubting your knowledge, just surprised.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
That's weird. I envisioned squads as typically consisting of 2 fireteams, usually 5 people each (for militaries where a squad isn't the lowest tactical unit). Not doubting your knowledge, just surprised.
The USMC always divides elements into threes. Three Fireteams in a squad. Three Squads in a Platoon. Three Platoons in a Company. Three Companies in a Regiment. This facilitates mission-by-element: Support, Security, Assault. Fireteams are four: Leader, Rifleman, Automatic Rifleman, and Assistant Automatic Rifleman.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 06-18-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #24
RyanW

Quote:
Now, there's the Super-Soldier feature, which can be expressed with at least one template, so that:
Super-Soldier Template + Average Soldier Template == Average Super-Soldiers.
Super-Soldier Template + Good Soldier Template == Good Super-Soldiers
Super-Soldier Template + SEAL Template == Élite Super-Soldiers
Super-Soldier Template + Poor Soldier Template == This

Spartans from Halo would be a good basis for a super-soldier. Truly exceptional individuals (like John-117) would be a Hero unit. And then Caboose... I guess Disloyal, but not intentionally so.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:18 PM   #25
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
You always divide elements into threes. Three Fireteams in a squad. Three Squads in a Platoon. Three Platoons in a Company. Three Companies in a Regiment. This facilitates mission-by-element: Support, Security, Assault. Fireteams are four: Leader, Rifleman, Automatic Rifleman, and Assistant Automatic Rifleman.
Always? Checking the Red Army Fighter's Manual, it says that the Squad ['отделение'] is the smallest organizational unit of infantry. Wiki also seems to indicate it's commonly the smallest unit in non-Anglophone, and especially non-NATO states (as long as one could trust it). Perhaps military organization is not as uniform throughout the world as would be convenient.

Now that I think of it, I wonder how good the info on various infantrymen in a squad would I get by skimming G:WWII, given that its templates are written in 3e-ese.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Always?
Ok, not always. I meant that in the tactical and operational doctrine in which I was trained it was always thus. The end result as far as it's relevant to this thread is that a infantry squad can have 16 individuals.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #27
RyanW

Quote:
Ok, not always. I meant that in the tactical and operational doctrine in which I was trained it was always thus. The end result as far as it's relevant to this thread is that a infantry squad can have 16 individuals.
US Marines use a 3*4+1 squad, US Army uses a 2*4+1 squad (in order to fit in a Bradley).
Old 06-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
US Marines use a 3*4+1 squad, US Army uses a 2*4+1 squad (in order to fit in a Bradley).
Sure, isn't that what I said? It's certainly what I meant.

EDIT: My entire point was that a squad can be more than 15 and it doesn't break the Mass Combat system to do so. That's all.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 06-18-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #29
Lamech

Quote:
Well, I doubt there is a reason why you can't keep training whatever Super-Soldiers you have up to Élite level. The question is, what is required to make a Super-Soldier in the first place*. A Riflemen squad has a base cost of 60k to Raise, and the Super-Soldier feature adds +200% to that cost, which means that for a mass-production sort of program, a single Super-Soldier costs +$12k per person modified. Seems a bit low, given the prices of biomods and cybermods in the techbooks.
You probably get some sort of discount for mass production and assembly lines. But more to the point mass combat's prices are for balance, not meshing with bio-tech. Assume that if you buy enough effective bio-mods and after the "assembly line discount" it comes to the +200% price increase its enough to bump that squad up to super-soldier quality.
Edit: Also anything made with bio-tech wouldn't really have an increased maintain cost. So you could charge extra for that feature. Increased start up cost, but reduced maintain cost. Finally you could count bio-mods as extra quality equipment or training... or even just say they have a higher TS. I think the biggest problem is mass-combat is made for balance of big armies with lots of abstraction, while bio-tech was made for characters. And they weren't supposed to be combined...

Last edited by Lamech; 06-18-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:17 AM   #30
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
You probably get some sort of discount for mass production and assembly lines. But more to the point mass combat's prices are for balance, not meshing with bio-tech. Assume that if you buy enough effective bio-mods and after the "assembly line discount" it comes to the +200% price increase its enough to bump that squad up to super-soldier quality.
Well, sure, there is some multiplier for organized, efficient mass-production, but just how high can we expect it to be?
Quote:
Edit: Also anything made with bio-tech wouldn't really have an increased maintain cost. So you could charge extra for that feature. Increased start up cost, but reduced maintain cost. Finally you could count bio-mods as extra quality equipment or training... or even just say they have a higher TS.
Come to think of it, nanomods (e.g. as in Deus Ex) shouldn't require higher maintenance either. It's just that MC doesn't have a modifier for reduced maintenance, nor one for regeneration of TS after combat (only GM tips for it).

Quote:
I think the biggest problem is mass-combat is made for balance of big armies with lots of abstraction, while bio-tech was made for characters. And they weren't supposed to be combined...
In a way, yes (though MC has clearly imbalanced elements, such as amphibious warriors or something in that part). But I was looking towards the MC prices not as rigid limits. Rather, I was hoping that prices might be used as a guideline to finding the difference between a human average, super-soldier average, human élite and super-soldier élite.

Basically, imagine a PC encountering (as an ally or enemy) or even being one of these. I'm trying to figure out what would the traits be like.

Tags
bio-tech, mass combat, super-soldier, supersoldiers, ultra-tech