Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Cyclic Mana Levels [Magic/Thaumatology]

I was just wondering what people's experiences were with cyclic mana levels in their campaigns? Do you use them in your settings? If so, has it been a positive or negative experience?

An example of a simple cyclic mana system would be a lunar system where mana levels increase by one level during the three days of the full moon but decrease by one level during the three days of the new moon and they would increase by two levels during a solar eclipse but decrease by two levels during a lunar eclipse. If the average mana level is normal mana, such a cyclic mana system would allow nonmages to cast spells during the days of the full moon, meaning that some nonmages might actually learn mage for religious events that occur during the full moon. If the average mana level is low mana though, the days of the full moon are the time of effective magic, when magical items with Power 15-19 become active, a mage can cast spells with relative abandon.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Gef

Default Re: Cyclic Mana Levels [Magic/Thaumatology]

High Alexander,

I've used holy days and high holy days, and that's easy enough to keep track of, but they'll be far enough in the future, with just a +1 or +2 bonus, that players tend not to bother, so it's a background thing.

I've used the Threshold system (u-mana), and found that the time of day when the threshold refreshes is a big deal, because you go from, "my next spell may kill me" to "let's rock."

I also once played a character with Magery tied to the lunar cycle, and that was awkward to keep track of for both me and the GM. The points I saved weren't worth the aggravation, however as a characterization aid, it may have been. Also people tended to overestimate how powerful I was on the full moon.

Summary conclusion: The swings should be dramatic, in order to affect the drama.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
AlexanderHowl

Is a change in global mana levels dramatic enough? For example, let us take the world of Yrth, what impact would lunar cyclical mana have on the geopolitical situation of Yrth? Since everyone would benefit or suffer the same from the effects, there would be no change in cost to Magery (though lunar mages would probably be doubly blessed and doubly cursed).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:14 PM   #4
Gef

Probably, because a mana level change is more significant than the ±1 to skill I dealt with. While the swing from normal to high makes no difference for a real magician's skill level, all the wannabes would try their hand, rolling against skills in the 8-10 range, and the pros might be deputized to deal with resulting chaos. After a few months, I reckon that'd get old.

EDIT: If Mr. Wannabe gets 8hr instruction or supervised practice for just 3 days per month, most months, he needs 8-9 months to learn a spell, or to put it another way, 3½ years to learn a short chain. If he can do relevant study of the theory ahead of time, reduce in proprtion.

Last edited by Gef; 06-09-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote