Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2015, 04:11 PM   #21
Culture20

Default Re: How can a TL4 person use TL12 devices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedrin View Post
No speaker. No video projector.
The TL12 device now has to communicate via it's own lights and functional emitters...at least until they find the "flat rock that talks".
Especially since the beings of TL12 probably had built in wired or wireless devices to communicate directly with the weapon. Heck, they might have let the weapons take control of their bodies for the duration of the combat if the beings weren't trained to fight.

An option that might work would be for the weapon to have a section like a touch screen or e-paper that it can display images on. Over time, the user notices that the weapon mimics written words that are nearby. If the user takes the time to try and teach the weapon, he finds a capable student. Of course, that assumes reading/writing.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #22
Flyndaran
Untagged

The only items usable by the primitives are TL 12 Fischer Price Museum "toys".
Of course TL 12 children aren't as accident prone as ours, so they don't need to idiot proof their learning devices as much.
Ouch the primary color scheme.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 PM   #23
Crzyraccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
An option that might work would be for the weapon to have a section like a touch screen or e-paper that it can display images on. Over time, the user notices that the weapon mimics written words that are nearby. If the user takes the time to try and teach the weapon, he finds a capable student. Of course, that assumes reading/writing.
It does have an interface, with a 4D GPS and Landscape scanner, maybe that won't be so hard to figue out.

No Sense of Humor [-10]
Crzyraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:30 AM   #24
Jasonft

An interesting option just occurred to me: Repair nanotech with occasional glitches.

Your object (is it a sword? I don't remember if you ever said) obviously has to have self-repair capabilities if it is still intact after all this time. What if every so often it glitches and the nanites it uses to cannibalize raw material and/or repair start trying to 'fix' other things - like the wielder, the table the object sits on, that bar you were at last night when you got really drunk, the local temple where you went to pray...

You get the idea. There was a beautifully done two part Dr Who (Empty Child/ Doctor Dances) along this line that will give you all kinds of wonderfully creepy things to do to your players.

It could start so innocently too. The hand that normally wields the sword starts getting a faint silver tracery under the skin - the item is trying to repair a non existent cybernetic 'smart link' and is actually building one into the PC. Which of course gives you all sorts of weird food cravings as a start.

I could go on but I think you get the idea.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:50 PM   #25
Crzyraccoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonft View Post
An interesting option just occurred to me: Repair nanotech with occasional glitches.

Your object (is it a sword? I don't remember if you ever said) obviously has to have self-repair capabilities if it is still intact after all this time. What if every so often it glitches and the nanites it uses to cannibalize raw material and/or repair start trying to 'fix' other things - like the wielder, the table the object sits on, that bar you were at last night when you got really drunk, the local temple where you went to pray...

You get the idea. There was a beautifully done two part Dr Who (Empty Child/ Doctor Dances) along this line that will give you all kinds of wonderfully creepy things to do to your players.

It could start so innocently too. The hand that normally wields the sword starts getting a faint silver tracery under the skin - the item is trying to repair a non existent cybernetic 'smart link' and is actually building one into the PC. Which of course gives you all sorts of weird food cravings as a start.

I could go on but I think you get the idea.
Cool idea indeed.

I got the weapon all written up but I don't know how to post on here properly, if someone could give a link or explain how to put weapon charts, that would be great.

No Sense of Humor [-10]
Old 02-28-2015, 04:28 PM   #26
schmeelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyraccoon View Post
So I plan on making an TL12 weapon that was once belong to a long lost alien civilization and is now discovered by the new people from a TL4 society that will can be used with the melee weapon skill but will require technology skills to unlock new powerful abilities abilities, but what will adventurers need exactly to uncover them or if the the weapon itself could teach them its bits.
Sounds like the Pieces of Eden (First Civilization tech) in the Assassin's Creed series.
  • The First Civ is 12^ (~75000 BC)
  • The Hidden Blade has existed since at least 465 BC (TL2)
  • Altaïr is TL3 (Crusades, 1189-1257)
  • Ezio is TL4 (Renaissance, 1476-1512); Leonardo da Vinci's experiments might be TL4+1 or +2 tech.
  • The Kenways (Edward, Haytham, and Connor), Adéwalé, Shay, Aveline, and Arno are TL5 (American Colonies and French Revolution, 1715-1794)
  • Arno travels (virtually) to 1944 (TL7) and is able to (immediately) use a machine gun (although that's probably the TL8 player using the gun).
  • Desmond and the unnamed players are TL8 (2012-2014), although some Abstergo tech could be considered TL9 or higher, since it incorporates First Civ tech.
schmeelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:42 PM   #27
schmeelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzyraccoon View Post
Cool idea indeed.

I got the weapon all written up but I don't know how to post on here properly, if someone could give a link or explain how to put weapon charts, that would be great.
Just type it up using a monospaced font (use Notepad or something) to line up the columns, then cut-and-paste it into the edit box, and surround it with [ CODE ] and [ /CODE ] (no spaces), like so:

BROADSWORD (DX-5, Force Sword-4, Rapier-4, Saber-4, Shortsword-2, or Two-Handed Sword-4)
Code:
TL  Weapon      Damage    Reach  Parry  Cost  Weight  ST  Notes
2   Broadsword  sw+1 cut  1      0      $500  3       10
    or          thr+1 cr  1      0      –     –       10
schmeelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:35 PM   #28
Jasonft

It might also be a weaponized Ally. If it feeds off the user's 'life energies' then you could even justify it having different point totals depending on who holds it. (Assume a bit of time to sync auras or some such to explain why it doesn't immediately do the cool stuff for every slob that picks it up.)

Weaponized Ally rules are in Thaumatology I think. I don't have the book so I can't give page.

Watch those Dr Who episodes if you want to be extremely afraid of the phrase 'Are you my Mummy?' for a week or so. I think it won a Hugo that year.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:37 PM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmeelke View Post
Sounds like the Pieces of Eden (First Civilization tech) in the Assassin's Creed series.
Ouch. Be careful. That site locked up, then crashed my computer.
I find the idea of complete aliens interbreeding with humans incredibly stupid, even for a game.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:21 PM   #30
Crzyraccoon

Code:
Two-Handed Sword
TL	Weapon		Damage		Reach		Parry		Cost		Weight		ST		LC		Notes
12	Allitor		sw+2(2) cut	1,2		0		L20,000,000	3		10T		0
	vector mode	sw+1d(10) burn	1,2		0U						10T
	longing mode	sw-1+1d(5) burn	1-10		-2U						10TT
	standby		sw cut		1,2		0						10T

Beam Weapon
TL	Weapon	Damage	Acc	Range	Weight	RoF	Shots	ST	Bulk	Rcl	Cost	LC	Note
12	shot mode	3d(5) burn	0	100/1000	3	1	30(!)	10	-6	3	L20,000,0000
	slash mode	2d(5) burn	0	50/500 		1	!!	10	-8	3			Cone 4

Shield Mode
Damage Resistance 10 (Force Field, Semi-Ablative)

Features:
4D GPS/TL12
Landscape Scanner/TL12
Tiny Computer/TL12 Complexity 7, 1 ZB
Gravity Flight Boosters

The device have a 24 hour power lifespan that once depleted, will go to standby mode to conserve its remaining power, it cannot use any of its function and require recharing in Electro pools which can be found in lost armoraries and oddplaces or the sun.

!
Electro pools charge it to full power in 30 minutes and a shot each minute.
The sun charge it to full power in 30 hours and a shot in 1 hour.

!!
This mode uses the same shots as shot mode but uses 3 shots per shot.

Last edited by Crzyraccoon; 02-28-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Tags
gadgeteering, tech level