Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
Astromancer
 
Astromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North Carolina
Default We need the supplements edited into Hardbacks

I'm not saying we need to ditch the Pdfs. I saying that the Dungeon Fantasy supplements to date should be edited into one or more Hardback books so that people could have easier referencing of the material. It would also promote the game with new audiences.

Reactions?
__________________
Per Ardua Per Astra!


Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated
 
Turhan's Bey Company's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: We need the supplements edited into Hardbacks

The question of redoing the DFRPG as a single volume was addressed around here somewhere within the past few months. The reaction has been that it takes on a significant editorial and production cost (redoing the layouts and repointing every page reference, TOC, and index), puts some useful content in limbo (the hand back-of-the-books reference charts), and breaks compatibility with the published material (internal references plus the companions) in order to put things into a single volume, and it's not even remotely clear that those costs would be offset by new sales, to say nothing of playability issues arising from dueling page references.

Those are the business reasons. For my part, I don't even see how a single volume makes things necessarily easier. Maybe for one person, but at the table in actual play, the several volumes of the DFRPG box set can be shared and used simultaneously. For example, I can be looking up stuff in Exploits about jumping over a pit while somebody else can be checking up on the effects of a spell. That's ease of use I appreciate from seeing it in action.
__________________
I've been making pointlessly shiny things, and I've got some gaming-related stuff as well as 3d printing designs.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics
 
DouglasCole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Burnsville, MN
Default Re: We need the supplements edited into Hardbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I don't even see how a single volume makes things necessarily easier. Maybe for one person, but at the table in actual play, the several volumes of the DFRPG box set can be shared and used simultaneously. For example, I can be looking up stuff in Exploits about jumping over a pit while somebody else can be checking up on the effects of a spell. That's ease of use I appreciate from seeing it in action.
For what it's worth, when I ran Hall of Judgment at GameHole Con, I found the same thing. The spells book went back and forth between the casters, the Exploits book stayed with me mostly, as did Monsters. Having them smaller like that is very handy.
__________________
Gaming Ballistic, LLC: Home of Dragon Heresy, Hall of Judgment, and hand-made viking shields.

Live on Kickstarter: The Citadel at Noršvorn. An epic Norse-inspired setting for the Dungeon Fantasy RPG.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
ericbsmith
 
ericbsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: We need the supplements edited into Hardbacks

Unlikely. What might be interesting is if they offer a special edition hardback of the 5-volume set, or at least four of the five volumes (the adventure is so small it probably doesn't need to be in hardback). Making a book available in softcover and hardback is only trivially more expensive - essentially only adding the cost of creating and then printing the hardback cover itself, which is not that great of a cost sink compared to the editorial costs of re-laying out all five volumes, as Turhan's Bey mentioned. Keeping them all in box format may require redoing the box, which adds more cost, but the box has enough extra room that may not be necessary.

A hardcover special edition of the four main books has one other advantage: It gives a reason for serious fans to buy the product all over again.
__________________
Eric B. Smith GURPS Data File Coordinator
GURPSLand
The future keeps telling us what the past was about. You make the past mean different things by what you do with the time that comes after.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-17-2019 at 12:45 PM.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:06 PM   #5
bert
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southern Sweden, possibly on an Alternate Earth
Default Re: We need the supplements edited into Hardbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I'm not saying we need to ditch the Pdfs. I saying that the Dungeon Fantasy supplements to date should be edited into one or more Hardback books so that people could have easier referencing of the material. It would also promote the game with new audiences.

Reactions?
Are you talking about publishing the GURPS DF supplements as a hardback or combining the contents of the DFRPG into a hardback? My initial interpretation was the former but the earlier replies in the thread seem to go with option 2.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:44 PM   #6
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated
 
Turhan's Bey Company's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: We need the supplements edited into Hardbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
Are you talking about publishing the GURPS DF supplements as a hardback or combining the contents of the DFRPG into a hardback? My initial interpretation was the former but the earlier replies in the thread seem to go with option 2.
This is the DFRPG forum, so I interpreted the question as being about the DFRPG. That said, the exact same objections apply to the GURPS DF series: significant editorial costs and introducing incompatibilities for questionable benefit.
__________________
I've been making pointlessly shiny things, and I've got some gaming-related stuff as well as 3d printing designs.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Tom H.
 
Tom H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austin Area
Default Re: We need the supplements edited into Hardbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
The question of redoing the DFRPG as a single volume was addressed around here somewhere within the past few months. The reaction has been that it takes on a significant editorial and production cost (redoing the layouts and repointing every page reference, TOC, and index) . . .
Yes, I recall the thread that discussed reprinting the DFRPG as a volume without the box and contents.

While I don't have a stake in advocating for this, it did occur to me that some of the reservations can be solved.

For example, regarding the page references, you could still keep the original numbers on the page either prefixed with a volume number or with an additional comprehensive collection page number.

I've realized that besides financial and labor constraints, implementing GURPS/DF suggestions really comes down to "where there is a will there is a way," and the will is usually already allocated. And I guess that is okay because a choice has to be made.
Tom H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: We need the supplements edited into Hardbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
For what it's worth, when I ran Hall of Judgment at GameHole Con, I found the same thing. The spells book went back and forth between the casters, the Exploits book stayed with me mostly, as did Monsters. Having them smaller like that is very handy.
You could even argue they could be sold separately (as PDFs) to enable players to not have to spend $ to get an adventure or a monsters book they dont need.

I dont see that happening though.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:32 AM   #9
bert
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southern Sweden, possibly on an Alternate Earth
Default Re: We need the supplements edited into Hardbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
This is the DFRPG forum, so I interpreted the question as being about the DFRPG. That said, the exact same objections apply to the GURPS DF series: significant editorial costs and introducing incompatibilities for questionable benefit.
I agree that the same objections would be valid- however I got a bit unsure what OP meant.
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:29 AM   #10
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver, WA (Portland Metro)
Default Re: We need the supplements edited into Hardbacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post
For example, regarding the page references, you could still keep the original numbers on the page either prefixed with a volume number or with an additional comprehensive collection page number.
Colorize the edge of the pages, so people can quickly go to the right section, maybe?
__________________
I'm a collector, not a gamer. =)
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.