Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #1
Anders

Default TK and the sense of touch

Do I have a sense of touch with TK? If it isn't included by default, how would I model it? Clairsentience? Enhancement to TK?

In real life, you are very badly hurt without the feedback that touch and proprioception offers - anyone who has tried to walk with a leg that has fallen asleep can atest to that. If you are to have any dexterity with your TK hands you "should" have some kind of feedback.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: TK and the sense of touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Do I have a sense of touch with TK? If it isn't included by default, how would I model it? Clairsentience? Enhancement to TK?

In real life, you are very badly hurt without the feedback that touch and proprioception offers - anyone who has tried to walk with a leg that has fallen asleep can atest to that. If you are to have any dexterity with your TK hands you "should" have some kind of feedback.
TK is described as being "as good as a pair of hands," so, you should have the same sensitivity as your hands.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

I think a sense of touch is included implicitly in the description:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Page B92
You can manipulate distant objects
just as if you were grasping them in a
pair of hands with ST equal to your
Telekinesis (TK) level.
Certainly, lots of the TK abilities should have penalties if a sense of touch isn't included. Clairsentience is specifically about ranged senses. Psionic Powers is silent on this question, as is Powers AFAICS.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post

Lack of general touch is numb. Lack of proprioception is probably worse.
I imagine it's GM's call as it is with all magical advantages.
But like Nereidalbel writes, whatever you think is necessary to function "like hands" should be assumed.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #5
Varyon

TK without a sense of touch should be built as TK (Temporary Disadvantage: Numb).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Culture20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
TK without a sense of touch should be built as TK (Temporary Disadvantage: Numb).
Wouldn't the TD:Numb apply to the body's touch as well unless a further limitation is applied to the limitation? ie TD:Numb (Numb only applies to TK)
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
Wouldn't the TD:Numb apply to the body's touch as well unless a further limitation is applied to the limitation? ie TD:Numb (Numb only applies to TK)
Barring some enhancement, TK requires constant concentration, so, Numb affecting the body isn't really such an issue.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
During a thread of mine on partial numbness, most people agreed that the majority of the points came from its effect on the hands alone.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
That's up to the player and/or GM. This is the way cybernetics are built - they have a Temporary Disadvantage that, rather than applying to the whole body whenever the ability is used, instead apply only to the ability itself. In Ultra-Tech, the Cybernetic modifier is a combination of Temporary Disadvantages of Electrical, Maintenance, and Unhealing. Obviously, these Disadvantages don't apply to the person with the augmentation, but rather to the augmented bits themselves.

Now, I can certainly see justification for reducing the price of a Limitation like this if it only applies to the ability, rather than applying to the whole character only while the ability is in use. At first glance, I'd eyeball this as a -20% or so modifier to the Limitation.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
telekinesis