Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
Justaguy

Default [Powers] how to make a fetish

Hello fellow gurpsers, I'm looking for tips on designing a power.

Now first of all, by fetish I mean the attribution of power to an inanimate object, nothing else. That fetish can then be handed to someone, and through the fetish, the person acquires a certain advantage.

Pricing a fetish in play is simple enough. Pick an advantage, slap some gadget limitations on it and you're done. That's not what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for the ability to make fetishes in game. In effect, it's a kind of enchanting ability. I'm aware this can be done using the magic rules, but our group stopped using those rules because we find them unbalanced. In the campaign to start soon, we will be using powers. I have read a lot about them in the basic set, psi powers and powers but I'm still a novice user.

This is what I have in mind. A PC wants to be able to imbue small items (fetishes) with spiritual power. In game terms, this would be tying an advantage to an item, undefinitely (extended duration, permanent) until something happens that destroys the fetish. Once I have a standard format, multiple versions could be bought using the rules for alternative abilities.

I have worked out a draft, but I'm not entirely happy about it. Looking for tips and corrections, or even an entire makeover. This is the draft:

Enchant fetish of spirit protection (+60%)
affliction 1 (advantage: +3 resistance to mental spirit attacks, adds to IQ or Will to resist mental attacks by spirits, considered a very common item, +100; PM spirit, the ability works by binding minor spirits to the item, -25%; accessibility, only on small items made by the user, -50%; contact agent, the item must be worn against bare skin by the user, -30%; costs fatigue, 3FP payed by the maker at the moment of creation, -15%; extended duration, permanent, effect is dispelled and fetish destroyed when failing a resistance roll against a mental spirit attack, +150%; limited use, the user can only enchant one fetish per day, -40%; preparation required, the user performs a 10-minute ceremony to make the item, -30%) [16]
Description: once per day, the PC can enchant a small item he made himself and then hand that item to someone else. The item will protect that user against mental spirit attacks until he fails a resistance roll against such an attack.

I would also like to tie a skill to this ability, like for psionic powers. Right now I was thinking enchant fetish (Will/H). Techniques etc would be nice but I haven 't yet thought about possibilities.

Now I can't pinpoint exact problems, but this power just doesn't seem right. There are probably multiple problems... Thoughts?

Last edited by Justaguy; 07-13-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: corrected preparation required to -30%, down from -40%
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: [Powers] how to make a fetish

Gadgeteers are typically the way you make new Gadgets. Using the invention rules, probably. I think there's something in Thaumatology for handling that, or in Supers, I'm not sure which.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Refplace

Affliction is probably the best way to go here but you might look at the Invention and Gadgeter rules to at least consider them.

Trigger is good for one shot items.
For long term items though your afflicting a person not an object in most cases and here is where your going to run into trouble.
If you afflict an object with a power that object has the power. Not whomever is carrying it.
For a few powers it wont matter but for most it will not do what you want.
What my suggestion for that is to add Affliction (Compartmentalized Mind-Controls). This gives the holder a way to control the object so that they can then use the power. And it will be a cheap additional Affliction.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Justaguy

Thanks for the replies. They set to me to thinking about new approaches.
I don't think either of the options suits what I really have in mind. Gadgeteer is just too vague and might lead to problems concerning munchkin control, while 'compartmentalized mind - controls' seems overly complicated for what I had in mind and is not really cheap (+250% cost as an afflicted enhancement).

And that's just the lesson I needed to realize that the first draft is way too complicated.

Instead of trying to afflict an item to be transferred to another person, the logical thing to do is to directly afflict the target person with malediction (to waive the resistance roll) and an advantage limited by gadget limitations (breakable, can be stolen). Most other stats of the draft are ok (extended duration etc), except for contact agent, that should be replaced by melee attack reach C (or is that an abusive -30%, since the power is useless in combat anyway?) and the accessibility that should be rephrased to 'requires a small self-made item'.

I think this looks better. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Justaguy; 07-13-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
Mgellis

An easier way to do it...

Making something does not require a power. It requires a skill and time.

The skill is probably either Thaumatology or Ritual Magic (Specialty), whichever is appropriate for the setting.

The time is actually not hard to figure out...figure out how many character points (including gadget limitations) that the fetish is worth, then multiply that by 200 hours. Normally, that gets broken up into 8-hour days (25 days per character point) but one could probably roll vs. HT to work longer days.

At the end of the process, roll vs. skill to fashion the fetish properly. On a success, you have your fetish; on a failure, you have wasted the time and effort and have to start over.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Mgellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
Gef

Statting a magic item is easy, but statting a power to make one is not straightforward. I'm hoping that a future Power Ups installment will cover powers-based enchantment, be it psychic crystals or holy relics in addition to magic-as-powers. In the meantime, you can model it with Afflict Affliction; that is, you Afflict the object with the power to Afflict a trait on its weilder. Ugh. There are ally-based approaches too. Reversing the training rule as Mgellis suggested is a good start, but I've wasted plenty of brain cycles on that path to no conclusion. Good luck. -GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
Reversing the training rule as Mgellis suggested is a good start, but I've wasted plenty of brain cycles on that path to no conclusion. Good luck. -GEF
It's just like Meditative Magic, what's the issue? It seems to work fine for me.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
LemmingLord

I would prefer just having you spend points on your objects as gadgets. Not sure why you are saying that won't work for you. Rather have your points and spend them too? :D
Old 07-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
I would prefer just having you spend points on your objects as gadgets. Not sure why you are saying that won't work for you. Rather have your points and spend them too? :D
  • The guy who makes the thing isn't necessarily the guy who uses it.
  • If you have to use earned points to make stuff, only PCs can make stuff and precious little of it. This may not fit all settings. It doesn't work at all if you want a market for items.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #10
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemmingLord View Post
So, you spend 4000hr on Karate and get skill +5. I spend it on power-based enchantment and get a 20pt gadget (with about 30-35 points of base traits). Now I sell the gadget to some other dude. I'm down 20 points, and he has to spend 20 points on the gadget. If you go the point-debt route, he gets stupid (effectively Cannot Learn) until he pays off the debt. That's a solution but a clunky one, like every other I've envisioned.

Note that one-use items are easy: Just buy a power with Triggered Delay; the client triggers his use of that power by drinking the potion, reading the scroll, breaking the glass, or pressing the button.

GEF
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enchanting, powers