Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #1
LoganSaj
Fist-Wavin' Shatner

Default Binding

Am I correct in understanding the the Binding power has a permanent/indefinite duration?

Also, what limitation would it be if a character cannot root someone in place unless he targets their legs (which makes the foe fall over) at the normal hit location modifier. PLUS he could optionally target the foe's hands ... separately. In other words, he can hit a target's hands, binding them together (preventing him from doing anything with his hands, but not from moving). OR he could target the foe's feet, causing him to fall over and prevent him from moving. If combined, he could gain the full effects as listed for the Power.

Hmm ... just thought of this. What if he could target the foe's head to painlessly blind him?

Character: Senator Gracchus
Actor: Derek Jacobi
Movie: Gladiator
LoganSaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:19 AM   #2
jahn

Default Re: Binding

[1] I read it as being an indefinite duration (i.e. "a long time").

[2] On reading the description, Binding assumes more or less just the legs since the target can attack the bindings and there is the Engulfing modifier (+60%) to pin his arms too.

I'd make targeting either a limitation to the enhancement and adding Selective, or make it an alternate attack.

[3] Targeting the head is covered under the Suffocating enhancement (+75%, Powers p. 43) for Binding.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
Atreyu_Hibiki

Come to think of it, Spider-Man's webs probably have both Engulfing and Suffocating with the Selective modifier to be able to turn them on and off (i.e. aim at just the legs, etc...)
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
LoganSaj
Fist-Wavin' Shatner

[QUOTE=jahn][1] I read it as being an indefinite duration (i.e. "a long time").QUOTE]

So, what limitation is applied to reduce this to a predetermined duration ... Maximum duration?

Character: Senator Gracchus
Actor: Derek Jacobi
Movie: Gladiator
LoganSaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:52 PM   #5
transmetahuman

[QUOTE=LoganSaj]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahn
[1] I read it as being an indefinite duration (i.e. "a long time").QUOTE]

So, what limitation is applied to reduce this to a predetermined duration ... Maximum duration?
Or Terminal Condition
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

I resurrect this old thread because the same problem struck me while building some power-based spells. I solved it with Maximum Duration, but I'm still unsatisfied: shouldn't the duration of a Binding be a little more flexible? Also, what happens if I have an unbreakable binding and my victim rolls a 17 or 18 to break free, therefore preventing himself to try anymore? Does he stay bound forever?
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:17 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
Does he stay bound forever?
Somebody else can set him free.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:12 AM   #8
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
Not if the Binding, as I typed, is Unbreakable.
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:20 AM   #9
transmetahuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh
The description of Binding doesn't address outsiders using ST to break a victim free, only using damage to destroy the binding - so I've had the same question as Klaus since I first read it. But your answer is so obviously right that I'm embarrassed I didn't see it. If the victim can muscle his way out of an Unbreakable Binding, why shouldn't his friends be able to help with the pulling and rending? Especially since the alternative leaves us with an unpalatable infinite binding. Thanks, Molokh.

Of course this might get weird if the GM is allowing odd Based on Other Attribute Bindings in conjunction with Unbreakable.
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #10
Bruno

Particularly exotic Unbreakable Bindings can probably still be removed with Neutralize, Static, or some other special ability. You can also Warp the victim out of the bindings, or transport them to another dimension, or make them Insubstantial, or give them Permeation against whatever the binding is made of. I'm sure there are more exotic ways of releasing people - and at least one of them is going to be available in a campaign that has Unbreakable Binding floating around anyways.

I'd let Switchable, +10%, let the original Binder release the victim at will, by the by.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
binding, cancellation