Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 01-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
JohnPaulB

Default Mimic Owner Password

IQ 14
Mimic Owner Password (T):
This spell allows the caster to fool a dedicated magic item into 'thinking' it is the creator/owner. This allows the caster to pick up another wizard's staff without it exploding.
The caster still won't know what spells are on the staff. He will need to Analyze Magic to see what if any, the spells are. This includes what level the staff is (or he can use it and find out that way.)

The caster may install new spells on it or remove spells, energize item, etc.

Cost: 5 ST. This spell lasts 24 hours. After that time, the Staff (or similar item) will not consider the caster a creator/owner and may explode if it is touched. [Can be recast for additional days.] A failed roll costs the caster 1 ST.

Note: The caster is not the NEW creator/owner of the staff, so if the original wizard is alive, the original wizard can use the staff too; even simultaneously as a Hand-To-Hand event.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Edit:
Caster will need to know STAFF spell in order to use the staff.

Whatever mana that was already stored in the staff is available for usage. As soon as caster can touch staff, he will know how much mana is stored in it.

This is still the original owner's staff. If the mimic password caster leaves the area with the staff, it may well be lost to the original owner. Since the rules say that a wizard can only have one Staff at a time, the wizard cannot create a temporary new one. He will have to go through life without a staff or hire detectives to find and destroy it or inform him where it is so he can salvage it. [see entry #3 & #4 for correction.]

Eventually, a spell may be found that can sever the original creator/owner's ownership and the mimic owner might be able to recast Staff onto it, making it His staff.

This also works for magical items other than staffs that can only be controlled by the creator/owner.

This also brings up the possibility of having a staff thief, one who specializes in stealing staffs. My guess is that it would be a very dangerous profession. Not only will the original owner be hunting down the thief, but probably the Wizard's Guild has proscriptions on this type of activity. Perhaps even a bounty hunter may come calling.

Sorry for the title Mimic Owner Password for this spell. Needs something with a more fantasy feel to it.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com

Last edited by JohnPaulB; 06-20-2021 at 09:38 PM. Reason: clarify data
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Mimic Owner Password

What happens to mana?
Old 01-17-2019, 05:30 PM   #3
warhorse11h

An interesting idea, one with several adventure hooks attached to it.

I do have one thought though, I believe the losing wizard would be able to create a new staff, not a temporary one to replace the old one, but a new one altogether. ITL LE, pg 148, "If a staff is lost or destroyed, the wizard’s next one will have the same Mana stat. The XP was spent, not to enhance a stick of wood, but to improve the wizard’s understanding of the spell. However, the new staff will contain no actual ST until the wizard puts it in. A wizard may have only one staff at a time. If he loses his staff, the act of making another will disempower the old staff. Most staves are wood, but bone, ivory, silver, and combinations are allowable, and gem decorations are common for wealthy wizards."

I like the idea though and I think the wizard would be still be angry and out to find the thief.
warhorse11h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse11h View Post
An interesting idea, one with several adventure hooks attached to it.

I do have one thought though, I believe the losing wizard would be able to create a new staff, not a temporary one to replace the old one, but a new one altogether. ITL LE, pg 148, "If a staff is lost or destroyed, the wizard’s next one will have the same Mana stat.
I thought there was something about that.

Perhaps, it deals with the viewpoint of the wizard on whether he knows that Joe The Jerk has it or whether he has no clue as to what could have happened to it.

If he thinks that Joe has it, then he won't be able to create a new one.

If he thinks its truly gone, then, when he creates a new Staff, the connection to the old one is severed?

Old 01-17-2019, 09:08 PM   #5
hcobb

What happens when you throw you staff at a dispel missiles?
Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
Skarg

The ability to bypass Limiting spells is a big game-changer for powerful items that used to er... be limited.

I think I'd want to determine success with a contest between the caster and the enchanter... probably caster IQ vs enchanter IQ, maybe caster DX vs enchanter IQ.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #7
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
What happens when you throw you staff at a dispel missiles?
I don't know. What would happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
The ability to bypass Limiting spells is a big game-changer for powerful items that used to er... be limited.

I think I'd want to determine success with a contest between the caster and the enchanter... probably caster IQ vs enchanter IQ, maybe caster DX vs enchanter IQ.
That would work as well.