Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-26-2016, 03:47 AM   #1
Highland_Piper

Default Another missing item

I'm getting really frustrated with GCA lately.

Innate Attack is not in the Advantages list. It's in the skills list, and the Equipment list but not the Advantage list.

I have Characters, Magic, Low Tech, Martial Arts, and Dungeon Fantasy loaded.
GURPS Mega Dungeons DFRPG Facebook Page
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:59 AM   #2
Highland_Piper

Default Re: Another missing item

Ugh, its under each individual type (burning attack, fatigue attack). I assumed it would be listed like it is in the book.
GURPS Mega Dungeons DFRPG Facebook Page
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Your frustration here is due to one of the editorial/design decisions made in the creation of the book. It was decided to organize things a certain way, to save space and word-count and such, but then to use those grouped traits everywhere else in a different way, as if they were separate traits. Believe me, you're far from the first to be frustrated by this.

GCA's data was written to reflect the way the traits are actually used, not the way the book organizes them. Perhaps we should have two copies of things like innate attacks, one the current way, and one of each with Innate Attack: on the front.
Old 12-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

In addition to the editorial reasons these were originally separated, there were some legitimate technical reasons why these needed to be separate abilities. While those technical reasons have since been eliminated, the fact that these were working fine means they just never got revised. I, too, see no reason there can't be an additional listing for the Innate Attack advantage that uses choice lists to set the type of attack; this just never got done because it never got thought of or suggested after the technical limitations went away.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:17 PM   #5
PK

GCA handles it correctly. While the Basic Set groups the various innate attacks together under a single heading, each one is a separate advantage. If you have a burning innate attack that does 2d damage, it should be listed on your sheet as "Burning Attack 2d [10]," not as "Innate Attack 2d [10] (Burning)" or any other variant.

It's the same reason you list skills like Broadsword and Flail separately on a character sheet, rather than using "Melee Weapon-14 (Broadsword)" -- despite those skills being grouped under the Melee Weapons header in the Basic Set.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gca, innate attack