Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
Whitewings

Default Re: Alternative Enchanting system

I decided today to see if I could find a smooth function that would fit with the key concept behind this system. After finding the specific values would only fit if the equation was ridiculously complicated for game use, I decided to look for one that did work. The result is much the same as the first post, but after determining the per-person energy cost, divide the result by 50 and square the result. This is the number of hour required, with 1936 hours (just under a year of 8-hour days and 5-day weeks) being the upper limit of time required. This removes the break points and retains the feature of the greatest wonders being created by single great masters.
Whitewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #12
Libertine

What about creating items in the game, like naturally occurring crystals or "soul gems" if you will, that can act as a mana battery to assist with enchanting and keep the system where it is? This has the benefit of shortening enchantment time while at the same time adding intrique and adventure.

Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
Whitewings

This isn't about making enchanting useful to adventuring types; that's just a side effect. The main purpose is to bring the time requirements down to a point that better fits with my preferences. I find it easier to adjust the time required than to adjust every energy cost in the book.
Whitewings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enchanted items, enchanting, enchantment