Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
LazarusDarkeyes

Default Powers: Maximum Duration - loophole?

Say I put Maximum Duration (10 minutes) on Flight

As I read it, if I activate flight for 2 seconds shy of the 10 minute mark, then I can reactivate it 1 second later and 'reset' the 10 minute window.

But if I don't deactivate it before the 10 minute mark, then it's inaccessible for 5 minutes.

So am I correct that as long as you can turn it off for 1-2 seconds every 10 minutes, there is NO penalty for this? That REALLY doesn't seem right for a -50% mod...

Please clarify where I'm wrong? Seems too broken otherwise.

Thanks ahead of time!
LazarusDarkeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Powers: Maximum Duration - loophole?

I think the clear intent is that even if you do not use the maximum duration specified, your ability must be shut down for 5 minutes between uses. Note each level says "Up to"
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
Dalren

As I understand it, Maximum Duration basically does two things:

1) It converts an ability that can be used indefinitely into one which has a set duration per use.

2) It sets a cooldown that is required between uses.

If you think about it that way, once you activate the ability (regardless of how much of the maximum duration you have used), it cannot be activated again until the cooldown period has elapsed.

The line "After that, it shuts down without warning and you can’t reactivate it for five minutes" should really be read as "Once you deactivate the ability (or the ability reaches the Maximum Duration), you cannot use the ability again for five minutes. If the ability reaches the Maximum Duration, it immediately shuts down without warning".

It definitely could have been worded more clearly.
Dalren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
LazarusDarkeyes

So, consider it fair to say that all levels of Maximum Duration have an included Takes Recharge (5 minutes(? /edited for erroneous quote

Last edited by LazarusDarkeyes; 08-13-2013 at 12:10 AM. Reason: edited for erroneous quote
LazarusDarkeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazarusDarkeyes View Post
So, consider it fair to say that all levels of Maximum Duration have an included Takes Recharge (1 hour)?
Maximum Duration has a 5 minute recharge between uses, regardless of the length of the use. So, no, it would not be fair to arbitrarily up that from 5 minutes to 1 hour without also increasing the value of the limitation.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maximum duration