Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:21 PM   #1
Bowser

Default How many Mark VIs & Dopps are needed?

For those of you will set(s) of miniatures and the coming Kickstarter for Mark VI and Dopp ogres, how many of each do you deem "adequate" for each copy of the "army"?

That is, if you have one blue and one red set of Ogre Miniatures Set 1 and Set 2, how many sets of the paired Mark VI and Dopp do you intend to get? I can extrapolate this to the number of sets that I have.

I've been mulling this over and have not yet reached a conclusion . . .

Bowser
Old 08-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
jfleisher

Default Re: How many Mark VIs & Dopps are needed?

Considering I now have over 60 each of the III and V, I will probably want about a dozen of each...

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #3
ColBosch

I'll be buying at least two Mk VI/Dopps in each color offered. So, if they're offered in the six colors we've seen so far, that'll be at least a dozen of each model. Once of each model/color will be assembled unpainted. The rest will be painted to match my collected armies, or used as conversion fodder. I do still need a Ceolacanth, after all.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post
For those of you will set(s) of miniatures and the coming Kickstarter for Mark VI and Dopp ogres, how many of each do you deem "adequate" for each copy of the "army"?

That is, if you have one blue and one red set of Ogre Miniatures Set 1 and Set 2, how many sets of the paired Mark VI and Dopp do you intend to get? I can extrapolate this to the number of sets that I have.

I've been mulling this over and have not yet reached a conclusion . . .

Bowser
Personally, I would like to get 15-18 copies. I don't know if my finances will allow it though, given the rumors around pricing.

I'm well aware that being "true to lore" means that only PE / NAC would have them, but I'm not planning my army around being 100% canon. I'm planning for each paint scheme to have the complete range of units available to that equipment base, so that I can roll into conventions, ask players what their favorite colors are, and have a set at the ready.

15 would allow me to have one for every complete set I currently have ["Too Many Minis", in Set 2 parlance]. 18 would cover me if Phil lets Drew do more than tease about introducing purple as a new plastic color for Set 3.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:36 PM   #5
Mack_JB

I've been giving this some thought too. I am leaning at present to one of each unique color (if we can get them that way); so six each of a Mk. VI and Doppelsoldner: blue, red, green, GitD, gray, black. Two per color seems like overkill.

If they are not available in green, GitD, gray or black, then I'd maybe do two or three each in red and blue?

Now, I'm using blue and GitD as PE forces, and red and green as NAC -- with gray as a third force, and black as a rogue AI force. So if only red and blue are made, red for the VI, and blue for the Dopp.

[edit: if they are really affordable, I'd get more as funds allow, but I'd also likely never need them]
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser View Post

One per, at most. I can't see ever needing more than one of each on the board at a time, even with multiple Set 1s and Set 2s in play. Each is a monster that completely dominates the board.

I'll be trying for one red MK VI, one blue Dopp, and one GiTD of each.

Last edited by dwalend; 09-01-2018 at 07:15 PM.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:45 PM   #7
Cat

After the two KS campaigns and a bit of trading, I have 8 Set 1 and ~5.5 Set 2 split between 8 forces. I'll be happy with just a grand total of 2 each of the Mk.VI and Dopp as supernumeraries to bring in for rare scenarios.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Mallen the dark

Since I have one each in metal, I only plan on one each right now. Might up that number depending on when the kickstart starts.
Mallen the dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #9
sparky00

I'd like at least two of each, plus as many additional as my pathetic gaming budget will permit.
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

I'd probably want a pair of each "just because". They would rarely see play (I hardly ever use them now, having more of them would not make that any more likely).

The simple reality is they are rare units that don't have a good use in the game. They border on game-breaking and threaten to be very un-fun when plugged into existing scenarios. The only way they work is if a scenario is specifically designed around them, and those are rarer than the units are. They are not easy ogres to balance.