Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: The pit and the pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I don't think it is even a stretch to let someone jump as part of a disengage. The action says you move a hex away from your foe. When you move, just in general, it is always an option that you might jump as part of your move. So stick those two ideas together and you are there.
Yeah, that was my first idea above, but as I mentioned there, I think I might make the jump roll a bit harder than a typical standing jump during movement, because this is a jump while threatened, where the figure is trying to turn away from foes and jump before they can hit him.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #12
hcobb

Wouldn't you require Wesley to turn to face the direction of his jump during his shift? That puts his back or side to the pirates giving these mooks a chance to hit him before his base DX turn order.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:18 PM   #13
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I don't think it is even a stretch to let someone jump as part of a disengage. The action says you move a hex away from your foe. When you move, just in general, it is always an option that you might jump as part of your move. So stick those two ideas together and you are there.
Would anyone else make Acrobatics a prerequisite for this kind of maneuver?
Old 12-24-2019, 09:43 PM   #14
JimmyPlenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Wouldn't you require Wesley to turn to face the direction of his jump during his shift? That puts his back or side to the pirates giving these mooks a chance to hit him before his base DX turn order.
This would solve everything really.
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:49 PM   #15
hcobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Would anyone else make Acrobatics a prerequisite for this kind of maneuver?
ITL 104: "Jumping over a hole in the floor, or a hex of tar or whatever, costs the same 3 MA and automatically succeeds"

compare to later on the same page:

"If you spend 3 MA picking it up, you can get it automatically and continue. If you are in a hurry, you can try to grab it on the run by making a 3-die roll
against DX."

Since this is a hasty action that doesn't have the 3 MA to spend shouldn't it also be a 3/DX roll? (2/DX with Acrobatics of course.)
Old 12-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #16
Skarg

Well I would say yes to all of those considerations when making a ruling or house rule. So I would say that it would be choice whether Wesley faces the way he wants to jump or not, with the trade-off that if he doesn't, then the roll to make the jump is harder. And I'd have Acrobatics make this easier by at least one die of difficulty, but not be an absolute prerequisite.

And jumping a one-hex gap doesn't seem like all that big a deal, but trying for a two-hex gap might be possible too but much harder. And I'd want to have a chance to grab something on the far side and dangle, or make it but fall prone, rather than simple success or failure, etc.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #17
MikMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
the guy who said "I jump on the dragon's neck and climb up to it's head and stab it in the eye" gets the glory and the XP
To me this sounds like a series of actions requiring talents like acrobatics and climbing and knife, with high saves to achieve success, and no end of things that could go wrong, like the dragon whipping it's neck and throwing the erstwhile hero a serious distance. Or just taking to the air. And what are his chance of hanging on with one hand given a knife in the other hand? As a GM I would give the PC every chance to try this and good luck to him, but no way would it be easy. If they manage it, then yeah, XP and glory. But those chances are slim.

I'm not sure I agree with this 'cinematic' vs 'hardcore' debate. Surely you can manage both in one game? And a single GM is likely to impose very similar rolls for accomplishing 'new' inventive actions, so I'm not sure it leads to inconsistency. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to limit my players imaginations.
MikMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:58 PM   #18
hcobb

Yes, that's the best tactic to use when a 14-hex dragon knocks your fighter under it's rearmost hex. Simply declare a dagger stab to the dragon's head.

So a ST 12 DX 12 IQ 8 warrior has adjDX 16 in HTH so a 50% chance at the head shot 1d+1 attack averages 4.5 damage so six fighters in its rearmost hexes should average a knockdown.
Old 12-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #19
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
So a ST 12 DX 12 IQ 8 warrior has adjDX 16 in HTH so a 50% chance at the head shot 1d+1 attack averages 4.5 damage so six fighters in its rearmost hexes should average a knockdown.
Maybe it's just me, but I would never allow a smaller figure to initiate HTH with a larger one... at least not if the size difference was more than two or three hexes. Jumping on the back of a dragon, while difficult and awesome, is not the same thing as HTH combat. Currently, RAW doesn't have good way of adjudicating situations like this unfortunately, but then again, it is not likely to come up very often anyway.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #20
hcobb

And I have a fix because I treat all figure X moves into figure Y's hex situations exactly the same, whatever the size or type of X or Y is. Which is X is free to attempt to do so and it is up to Y how she will respond. She may attempt to jump out of the way or use an attack to stop X. Personally I wouldn't want to be the first goblin in a turn to attempt to move on top of a dragon, especially from the front. (Why can't dragons claw to the sides where their claws are?)