Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-17-2019, 08:34 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Strong Willed

Strong Willed this figure rolls one less die to resist magical compulsions such as Control Human, Geas, Word of Command, etc, and also to resist a Basilisk. They get a 4/IQ save to resist compulsion magics that don't normally have resistance rolls such as Avert, Calling, Freeze, Sleep (but not the chemical sleep potion), etc. Note that this talent doesn't help with determining the truth of the world, it just keeps them grounded to their own truth. Therefore it offers no advantage against Trailtwister or disbelieving Illusions (other than of themselves).

What IQ level and point cost would you assign to this?
Old 12-18-2019, 12:58 AM   #2
JimmyPlenty

Default Re: Strong Willed

IQ 8 would be the realistic answer. Anyone can have a strong will regardless of IQ (heck a low IQ may even help!)

IQ 12-13 would be the gamey answer for balance.

This is almost an advantage rather than a skill. So I am still leaning even more toward the IQ 8.

Maybe Strong Willed (3)?
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #3
Skarg

I'm used to GURPS' version of Strong Will, which is an advantage not a skill or talent (i.e. it doesn't seem to be something people merely need to "learn"), and it comes in increments of +1 point, not entire dice.

In TFT, reducing tasks by entire dice tends to have a huge impact. 2-die rolls in particular are pretty trivial for most figures.

And in TFT, if you add even a 4-die unmodified roll to resist something that used to have no resistance roll, that means people with a high attribute will tend not to be affected.

Not that I might not want to add spell resistance as a house rule to TFT. I just think this mechanic as described is very chunky.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
JimmyPlenty

Skarg, I hear what you are saying on the 2-dice thing. I thought often at first about I'd almost want basic rolls at 4d instead of 3d just so I could give a benefit without giving the farm away.

But after thingking about it, I like it the way it is because giving extra dice/bonuses is not supposed to be trivial like in most other rpg's. This makes the GM's job easier. If it isn't obvious for a bonus or penalty. No change!
JimmyPlenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:47 PM   #5
hcobb

I'm personally tempted to offer at least the first half at IQ 7, two points for heroes and four points for wizards.