Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-06-2019, 12:30 PM   #1
Barmace

Default House rules

posted this to a different forum and it was debated that I don’t use Cleric because there is not “main religion” the use of term Cleric is not praying for healing. It is a Wizard that has devoted his time to study of spells of healing.

Hey,
it has bugged me that we don't have clerics. I created a way. I want to know thoughts.

any talent that is for physicker, i replace with (cleric only). the Cleric costs the same as Priest and replacing it with Cleric
IQ 11 cleric can heal 2 point of damage every 30 minutes
IQ 14 3 points every 30 minutes

For two weapons and Thrown weapons I added
IQ 13 ambidextrous. the ability to use either hand with no penalty to DX. both follow the same rule as using 1 weapon.

Ambidextrous covers the negative for the other hand it is also 3 IQ points to take.

As a GM you can do anything you like to enhance the game play. I don’t think of TFT Legacy edition to be a boxed in rule system but a guide to great game play.

I am also going to get the party to move a certain way where they will find a gate. The gate takes them to the far future or even an alternate reality. Where they are a futuristic soldier/ inventors. Basically the same everything but everything it X10

Example

Long bow 1d+2
Laser Gun 10(1d6+2)

Leather armor -2
Level 2 armor -20 (being that it is the 2nd armor you can wear)

Rapier 1d
Laser sword 10(1d)

It will have basically the same stats but in armor they will have the bonus and for environmental purposes everyone will wear armor

No armor
St10 dx10 IQ 12

In armor
St100 dx 100 iQ 12

Fighter /Soldier/Jedi

Wizard / Inventor /tinkerer

With the rules you can do almost anything. That is why I love this system.

Thoughts?

Barmace
Barmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:32 PM   #2
Barmace

Default Re: House rules

The basic classification of cleric is wizard with all same rule for taking non magic talents as 2X
Old 08-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Barmace

This was a comment before I moved it here by Alyx Suregrip

Since there is no clerics in TFT, make them what you want them to be. That is, others cannot tell you a Cleric is a healing wizard vs some kind of priest.

Same goes if it is tied to a religion or all religions have clerics or difference between them. Your call.

Now to regarding your content. This are just my opinions (so feel free to reject them, as I already suggested you do with others. haha).

First I see you wish to replace Physicker. Why not have your Cleric talents in addition. Certainly there is room for healers of both science based and faith based. Maybe even have a rivalry. Or allow combining of the skills.

Other than that I like your approach to a Cleric class. I have no comments on the ambidextrous and future skills.

take care

Last edited by Barmace; 08-06-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Barmace

Physicker is on the melee talents. Cleric is a Wizard talent. I plan on turn undead, bless, can only use a mace because his aversion to violence.

Also thinking about a monk with no weapon
Old 08-06-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
TippetsTX

For an out-of-the-box solution try my Powers variant...

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...&postcount=109
Old 08-07-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
Steve Plambeck

I always saw "cleric" as an occupation, not a skill or talent per se, but a "job" you'd need the Priest Talent for first.

A wizard or non-wizard might be a priest or cleric. The wizard would be in a position to fake miracles and divine powers through spells, but in a world where secular magic was widely known to the populace that wouldn't fool too many people.

Never saw it as tied to Physicker in any way either, although I know other games that do that.

My old group's campaign world had real gods, demi-gods and active religions of all sorts, but they rarely impacted play. They acted as starting points though for many stories and adventures, and one religion in particular had banned secular magic and was always persecuting our wizards, which impacted many of our plots and characters.

Sometimes the Priests and High Priests of these real gods were conferred some magical abilities appropriate to the themes of those religions, something regulated like spells but without any ST cost or IQ requirement. I wrote the set of rules for this and called it "Divine Magic". The Priest (or any truly pious worshiper) could invoke these "spells" on a roll against their standing with that particular god, and we called the stat that measured that standing Karma (KA). It was deliberately unreliable.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #7
JustAnotherJarhead

I always love the "aversion to violence"...

so we give them a 5 lb ball of iron on a pole to bash people with.
JustAnotherJarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:06 PM   #8
Skarg

I wouldn't know how to critique the details, since I don't really want or relate to wanting D&D-type clerics to exist, and I don't really want any religious-themed magic healing, and I like the healing being limited to physickers, rest, and occasional rare fragile expensive healing potions.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:08 AM   #9
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I wouldn't know how to critique the details, since I don't really want or relate to wanting D&D-type clerics to exist, and I don't really want any religious-themed magic healing, and I like the healing being limited to physickers, rest, and occasional rare fragile expensive healing potions.
Never having liked D&D or the stereotypical clerics of other games I tend to agree with you.

But if the World I was running allowed for active gods and religions, I think I'd have to allow that the pious followers of at least one faith might be gifted with healing powers.

But consistency would be critical. It would be a pacifistic religion devoted to a non-violent belief system, with a creed along the lines of the hippocratic oath -- do no harm. Pick up a weapon, lose your healing power. Learn a harmful spell, lose your healing power. Engage in any violence even in self defense, lose your healing power. Swat a mosquito, lose your healing power.

They'd make terrible player characters, but could be interesting NPCs in the right story.