Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 07-28-2018, 05:27 AM   #1
Bestial Warlust

Default New talent and sword and sorcery variant

So I'm extremely new to this game as in a few days. But it's got my brain working. I just had an idea for wizards. First up the new talent:

IQ 7 Talent
Contemplation (1) using this the wizard focuses his thoughts and energy allowing a recovery of 2 points of fatigue for every 15 minutes of rest. Like literacy the cost isn't doubled for wizards.

or a Sword and Sorcery variant:

Purple lotus
This plant is dried and crushed into a powder which is than inhaled by the wizard. Use of this allows a immediate recovery of 4 fatigue, however it does come with several drawbacks. For one hour after use the wizard is in a euphoric state any type of perception or search rolls roll 4 dice instead of 3. Also constant use ( more than twice a week) can cause addiction. The wizard must make a ST saving roll or become addicted. This has two effects; whenever the wizard is in a stressful situation -- combat, etc.. he must make the ST saving roll or he will have to take a "hit" of the powder. If the wizard hasn't expended any fatigue then he will no longer gain the benefit of it's use until after the effect of the powder has worn off in an hour.
The second effect is addiction. If the wizard uses the powder more than twice a week he is now addicted and for everyday that the wizard doesn't use some of the powder is adjDex gets a -4 due to withdrawl. A character can only benefit from the powder once a day.

Breaking the addiction -- a wizard who doesn't use the powder for one week may attempt a ST saving roll to break the addiction. A success indicates the addiction is broken. Remember while doing this the wizard will have the adjDex penalty and at the GM discretion may have to make a ST saving roll in a stressful situation to resist the temptation to use more.

So those are some ideas I had. thoughts? good? bad? stupid?

Last edited by Bestial Warlust; 07-28-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Bestial Warlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:00 AM   #2
Anomylous

Default Re: New talent and sword and sorcery variant

I like the idea of having a talent which allows you to recover ST faster. I think it fits pretty well with the very cool "kung fu wizard" trope.

"Purple Lotus" - hmm, a powder that you snort, which gives you lots of energy, euphoria, and is addictive. Nope, I can't think of any real-world analogues to this, not at all, nuh-uh...
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Skarg

Contemplation is an interesting talent concept, which I might expect to do something more or different than double fatigue recovery.

The talent as listed seems like either it is a way to say the GM wants fatigue recovery to be twice as fast in his campaign, or for it to be a limited-access talent so only characters with access to the talent will rest fatigue twice as quickly. At IQ 7 (1), it is something any wizard with access to it would seem peculiar not to take.

The lotus drug is interesting. Availability of it (and what it takes to keep a supply of it from becoming no longer usable) would become a relevant part of a campaign.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
JohnPaulB

This would be a New Talent entry.

In the Rules As Written it is tough to be multilingual and have other professions. I feel that some people are better learning languages than others.

IQ 11 Linguist (1) You have a knack for acquiring languages. Languages now cost ½ of what they normally do. Thus you can learn 2 languages for 1 point.

In addition, Phrase Books & foreign language dictionaries give +1 IQ when attempting a pidgin form of the Language you are studying.

Attempting to communicate without common language is through hand gestures & pointing, drawing, grunting, etc. This is a grade below pidgin form. Roleplay this out. However, if you absolutely need to roll dice, use the pidgin form rules (under language) and you are at -4 IQ.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote