Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Kauboi

Default Why Munchkin Cthulhu 4?

Let me start by saying I am a devoted and eager consumer of anything Munchkin (much to the chagrin of my wife and teen children). Further, I am a fan (though less so) of the works of Lovecraft. However, I do believe that the Cthulhu expansion of Munchkin is the weakest, most confusing and least integratable (the cultist rule does not lend itself well) of the Munchkin genres.

Assuming I am correct in this, and I am certain the sales reports bear me wrong, why make it the second most prolific series? With other areas such as Star Munchkin and Super Munchkin having so much depth of field to pull from, why is it these two have only one release and one expansion apiece?

I beseech the Munchkin design team...let's not see a Cthulhu 5. Even a Munchkin Bites 3 would have a broader appeal.
Kauboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Why Munchkin Cthulhu 4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauboi View Post
However, I do believe that the Cthulhu expansion of Munchkin is the weakest, most confusing and least integratable (the cultist rule does not lend itself well) of the Munchkin genres.
All I can say is that both our sales reports and anecdotal evidence show that you are in the minority with this opinion. Cthulhu is the second-strongest selling core set, and many folks cite the special Cultist rules as one reason they enjoy playing that one specifically. I concede that blended games dilute the impact of those rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauboi View Post
Assuming I am correct in this, and I am certain the sales reports bear me wrong, why make it the second most prolific series? With other areas such as Star Munchkin and Super Munchkin having so much depth of field to pull from, why is it these two have only one release and one expansion apiece?
Well, for one thing, the other series have one 112-card expansion; Cthulhu has two 56-card expansions. So Cthulhu 4 is the first mold-breaking one, and it's entirely because Cthulhu is selling well and generally well-received by our fans.

Without going into details, I will say that we have plans for expanding other sets coming up in the next year and a half, but that we have to dedicate our resources first to the sets that sell well consistently. (None of the Munchkin sets are dogs, but some do better than others. That's just the way of things in an extensive line.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
fuelstaind

I too am a compulsive collector of all things munchin. I do like the Cthulhu set mainly because of the wackiness of the characters and items. I agree that some sets definately need an expansion. *cough* Impossible :) But I look forward to the new dungeon aspest of Cthulhu. That will take things in a whole new direction.
fuelstaind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
PK

Speaking as a MIB, Cthulhu is easily the second-most-popular version of Munchkin in every shop I visit or booth retailer I talk to. (Third place is far more nebulous, though I'd estimate Fu and Super vie for it most strongly.) People like the game, they like the Cultists, and they like Cthulhu in general -- they buy normal playing cards with Cthulhu on them, dice with Cthulhu on them (and I mean besides Cthulhu Dice), etc.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:23 AM   #5
Palmer

Seconding the obvious love for Cthulhu.

Out of games I'm asked to run, almost half of them are Cthulhu, a quarter are Fantasy, and a moderately even mix of the rest for the last 25%

People love Cthulhu.

And madnesses.

And especially Chibithulhu
MIB #5799 - Vancouver, BC, Canada, Eh?
CON SCHEDULE

August 24 - 26, 2012 - Cos & Effect, Vancouver BC
Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:53 AM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

I expect people to really love this: http://www.sjgames.com/cthulhudicebag/
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Eccid

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
I expect people to really love this: http://www.sjgames.com/cthulhudicebag/
I would love one of those XD

Cthulhu was the first munchkin set i bought (with both expansions) and I love it. I do have one friend who doesn't seem to enjoy it as much as the rest of us, but that may be because he has never won cthulhu. I actually have no idea why, but he's always the one with barely any levels or items at the end of cthulhu :P

I am eagerly awaiting the next expansion for cthulhu because in my opinion the demented dungeons expansion was the greatest idea the munchkin team had. It made our games of fantasy munchkin sooooo much more fun, and i expect the same outcome for us playing cthulhu.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
patapwned24

although cthulhu is definatley now my favorite i do not like the cultist ending rule and rarely play with it in my games i think it ends the game to fast but the dungeons at least in my opinion will add a much needed change
patapwned24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapwned24 View Post
although cthulhu is definatley now my favorite i do not like the cultist ending rule and rarely play with it in my games i think it ends the game to fast but the dungeons at least in my opinion will add a much needed change
"Ending the game too fast" is not a complaint we hear very often about Munchkin...

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
patapwned24

nah its just that cultist rule my playgroup unanimously dropped that rule as well as the last non cultist goes up a level
patapwned24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chthulu, complaint, design