Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 12-29-2017, 04:54 PM   #111
stefanj

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloRick View Post
Congratulations, Steve! It's about time.
Rick Loomis
Hey Rick!

I have a metric hogshead of still-to-be-painted BONES miniatures, and would hope that miniatures would be an option rather than an integral part of a play set.

I associate Melee / Wizard / TFT with light-duty quick-and-fun games and hope that counters and cardboard heroes aren't neglected.

Adventures that could be played with just the basic set would be nice.

SNORF . . . make two of the Kickstarter support levels the SILVER UNICORN and the GOLD DRAGON.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #112
Skarg

I don't quite get why miniatures would be wanted, since there are tens of thousands of miniatures already available from many companies if someone wants some? So it seems like adding miniatures of the standard size would just be like making people buy some miniatures with the game. And if you made them a special size, then they'd be different from the many miniatures already available.

On the other hand, since fallen figures and dropped weapon counters are important features of the game, are easier to play with counters, and want a certain style of counters to match the map, it seems like counters would make sense.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:21 PM   #113
Dave Crowell

I love miniatures. I played a lot of TFT with miniatures. However, miniatures are widely available already. Add me to the list of those who would prefer more excelent counters. The ones in the current Ogre set a standard that would be nice to have for TFT. Especially for bodies, dropped items, and multi-hex creatures.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy a Deluxe version with miniatures, but I think it would be more cost effective, and more portable to do the standard version with counters.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:23 PM   #114
Groknard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I don't quite get why miniatures would be wanted, since there are tens of thousands of miniatures already available from many companies if someone wants some? So it seems like adding miniatures of the standard size would just be like making people buy some miniatures with the game. And if you made them a special size, then they'd be different from the many miniatures already available.

On the other hand, since fallen figures and dropped weapon counters are important features of the game, are easier to play with counters, and want a certain style of counters to match the map, it seems like counters would make sense.
Speaking for myself: I'm not sure it's a rational desire to want a boxed TFT set with miniatures, but it is something for which some of us were waiting, nearly 40 years ago. Instead, we got the three magazine-sized books. Personally, it was a let down. It might have been less than what Steve wanted, too.

I'm not too particular about what I want from reborn TFT. I pretty much have all I need, and trust these guys not to take it into weird directions. But if there is a kickstarter, and/or a product or new product line, count me in. Now that Steve has the game back, I'd like to let him publish the game he'd hoped it would be. That's what I'd be backing.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:35 PM   #115
ColBosch

Just as I can get miniatures "anywhere," I can also get counters easily. Indeed, I have a banker's box filled with Cardboard Heroes already. I'd like miniatures both for my own personal desires and to make the game more attractive for my friends to play.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 06:47 PM   #116
Carnifex

I think we can have it both ways.

Wizard and Melee being basically tactical combat games should have miniatures and nice maps.

The Fantasy Trip is primarily an RPG and regardless if it is published as a Dungeon Fantasy style boxed set or as a single hardback, it would not need any miniatures.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:22 PM   #117
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Now _this_ is a gameboard for Wizard:

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php...0#post21593510
That is a brilliant idea! Dammit, why didn't I think of doing that?

Gee maybe you guys at SJGs can come up with something like that as a way of presenting certain maps (one on the inside of the top cover for dungeon rooms/caverns, and one on the bottom for outdoors/arena areas! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #118
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
I love miniatures. I played a lot of TFT with miniatures. However, miniatures are widely available already. Add me to the list of those who would prefer more excelent counters. The ones in the current Ogre set a standard that would be nice to have for TFT. Especially for bodies, dropped items, and multi-hex creatures.

Don't get me wrong, I would buy a Deluxe version with miniatures, but I think it would be more cost effective, and more portable to do the standard version with counters.
OOH! Will we finally see a 14-hex Dragon?!?!? Or some of those other odd sizes depicted in The Space Gamer designer's errata article in TSG #29 (the elephant and the giant spider, for example)?

And I totally agree with Groknard, when he says; "Now that Steve has the game back, I'd like to let him publish the game he'd hoped it would be. That's what I'd be backing." Me too. I hope that Steve can finally make the game he always wanted to make in terms of final product (I'm guessing he's pretty happy with the design overall, but I know he expressed regret long ago that it came out as three separate booklets instead of a nice boxed set). Regardless, I think we can all have faith in Steve and company to do a superior product. Dungeon Fantasy and Designer's Edition Ogre clearly showed that!

Last edited by JLV; 12-29-2017 at 10:34 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:15 AM   #119
stefanj

Man, now I have to go break out my Space Gamer collection. And see if I have my run of that little zine Metagaming produced toward the end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
"Now that Steve has the game back, I'd like to let him publish the game he'd hoped it would be. That's what I'd be backing."
That makes sense . . . although I do hope facsimile editions of Melee and Wizard are produced, albeit with new artwork!

Liz Danforth would be tops on the list . . . but now I've got this image in my head of little Kovalic style myrmidons and wolves and such on the counter sheet.

Maybe it is wishful thinking, but I'm picturing junior high school kids whipping out Melee and a couple of dice at a cafeteria table for lunchtime battles.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:04 AM   #120
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
That makes sense . . . although I do hope facsimile editions of Melee and Wizard are produced, albeit with new artwork!

Liz Danforth would be tops on the list . . . but now I've got this image in my head of little Kovalic style myrmidons and wolves and such on the counter sheet.
I seem to recall there is at least one Liz Danforth illustration in Melee.

Does anyone know what became of Pat Hidy?

I'm trying to remember if Paul Jaquay had any work if them? In any case, I would hope Jennell would be interested in contributing.