Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #11
ckosacranoid

Default Re: Dreg gangs

sounds like a cool and cheap attack for the bad guys. they lost very little and to bad the driver got spaced. though the car could be bourght back later it sounds meybe.
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 04:49 AM   #12
helbent4

Yep, sounds like a fair go from the Dregs. Now what will they do for their chemo meds? (Because they are irradiated and thus probably have an abnormally high rate of cancer.)

A further dreg gang tactic might be something out of the Mad Max movies: an Anti-Vehicular crossbow (per Chassis and Crossbow in Dueltrack) that fires a harpoon trailing a steel cable attached to an anchor of some sort. AV Crossbows are pretty nasty: 2d6 damage and treat each range increment as one closer (so PB +1 is between 1-4", 4-8" is normal range, etc.).

Tony
helbent4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:22 AM   #13
swordtart

I can't believe I missed this one!

"Killer Kart Dreg:
Subcompact; Standard chassis; Heavy suspension.
Damaged 100 cid Engine (-5 DP); 4 gal. Duelling tank.
4 Damaged PR Radial tires (-5DP).

Driver.
6x linked Mini Rocket, Armor Piercing (F).

13 pts. LR Metal and 18 pts. Plastic
(F: 6/5 R: 2/3 L: 2/3 B: 1/3 T: 1/2 U: 1/2)
1x10 pt. 2 spc. Plastic CA (Driver).
Cost: $2,652, Wgt: 2,294, HC: 5, Top Speed: 85, Accel: 10.

This has many things to recommend it.
Base HC 5 and ACC 10 means you can put in a gunner with low (or no) driver skill and still out perform many other vehicles on the road.

It has all the armour of the basic version plus 13 points of metal on top, plus component armour on the driver.

I have never seen a Killer Kart last long enough to empty it's magazine. With this version you can blat them off in one go and then run away.

All this at a knock down price which means the driver can even afford to fill his 6lb personal equipment allowance.

In fluff terms, the Killer Kart is the classic entry level vehicle and they generally get stripped out in combat (assuming they don't burn). If your rules are your Am Night uses KKs and the winner salvages all his kills, he may end up with several breached units, probably with no fucntioning PP. Given he may never want to get in something this poor again, he'll almost certainly sell them for scrap and buy a better Div 5 design of his own choosing. Given the number of AM nights in any given area there should be plenty of KK hulks on the market.

Last edited by swordtart; 01-31-2017 at 11:26 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:48 PM   #14
juris

Just go with a swarm of Meat Turrets (LA's design from AM's builder):

Light Cycle, Heavy suspension, Small Cycle power plant, 10-pt CA
(Power Plant), 2 Motorcycle Heavy-Duty tires, Cyclist w/10-pt CA,
Passenger w/BA and Grenade Launcher w/4 Impact Fused Explosive
Grenades, Plastic Armor: F5, B5, 2 2-pt Cycle Wheelguards,
Acceleration 10, Top Speed 120, HC 2, 798 lbs., $2440

There is nothing better for the price
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #15
swordtart

OK Juris, I'll buy the two up cycle with hand weapons.

I'll have to reject the Meat Turret as presented however as we count personal equipment against the vehicle weight limit and there is 47lb of personal kit there.

I am not sure a GL is the right choice as unless you get that egg within 1/2" of the car it won't do diddly. If it lands within 2" of any of your own vehicles however your turret is at severe risk. A $300 launcher and $75 per shot is also a bit steep.

I think an AR might make a better choice. Its $50 cheaper with 10 shots, which allows a few ranging bursts.

Dreg Two Up :
Medium Cycle; Improved suspension;
100 cid Engine (5 DP damage); 4 gal. Racing tank; 1x10 pt., 2 spc. Plastic CA;

2 PR Radial tires (5 DP damage).

Driver. 1x10 pt., 2 spc. Plastic CA;
Passenger with AR and 10 rounds.

Armour 7 pts. Plastic (F: 4 B: 3);
1x1 pt. Plastic Guards F; 1x1 pt. Plastic Guards B;
Cost: $1,997, Wgt: 1,100, HC: 2, Top Speed: 130, Accel: 15.

Last edited by swordtart; 02-03-2017 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Missed off the CA for the plant
Old 02-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #16
Hemlock

[PHP]I am not sure a GL is the right choice as unless you get that egg within 1/2" of the car it won't do diddly. If it lands within 2" of any of your own vehicles however your turret is at severe risk. A $300 launcher and $75 per shot is also a bit steep.[/PHP]

That's odd.

Everybody I've ever played with has used the 'Does d6 to pedestrians and tires within 2"' portion of the grenades damage to slaughter the tires of the target vehicle.
Hemlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:04 AM   #17
swordtart

In compendium 2.5 it explicitly states that tires are vehicular components (and thus immune to burst effects). I'll dig out the reference once I have access to the books.

Edit...

A grenade does full damage to any pedestrian within its 2” burst
radius, and half damage to vehicle components (armor, tires, etc.) in a
1/2” radius. No other burst-effect weapon will affect walls or vehicles
(including tires) with its burst effect.

Compendium 2.5 p 40

The same wording appeared in Compendium 2 - 2nd Edition (p30), The B&W cover Delux Car Wars (p17), Classic Car Wars (p28).

It is only 3rd edition (and possibly before) that grenades damaged tires within 2".

I am not sure when the change came in but I do recall vaguely that one of the championships was won by a car mounting multiple grenade launchers so I suspect it was identified as a loop-hole then.

Last edited by swordtart; 02-02-2017 at 02:25 AM. Reason: references found
Old 02-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #18
juris

Yep, that rule change happened with Deluxe CW (I think).

If you want the GL to be insane again get thermite grenades, those things are nasty.

Oh, an while we're on the subject... which armor locations and tires are effected by a grenade? All of them? The ones 'facing' the grenade? The rules were never clear.

We always had grenades damage all armor locations and tires within the 1/2' which included the roof and underbody, but this wasn't universal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post

A grenade does full damage to any pedestrian within its 2” burst
radius, and half damage to vehicle components (armor, tires, etc.) in a
1/2” radius. No other burst-effect weapon will affect walls or vehicles
(including tires) with its burst effect.

Compendium 2.5 p 40
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #19
swordtart

I draw lines from the centre of the blast. Things only affect the first things to be struck on the line, anything behind that component cannot be affected by the blast. You could at most affect 3 armour locations. Tires are valid targets.

Alternatively you could select the armour based on the firing arc the blast originates from.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:17 PM   #20
Magesmiley

We applied grenade damage to any F/R/L/B side within range that could trace line of sight and if a corner was within range, the tires on that corner as well. We didn't apply it to top and underbody unless the grenade was under the car (in which case the underbody was the only armor facing damaged) or if it was in some strange position that would apply it to the top.

The only other squirrely case was if someone dropped one inside of a vehicle.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote