Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-15-2017, 08:52 PM   #81
hal

Default Re: Converting Twilight 2000 for use with GURPS 4e

Just thought I'd bring this up for reference...

Tonight, I got into a discussion over Fantasy Grounds 2 for one of my players in a "Cyberpunkesque" campaign set some 30 years from now. I decided to grab the GURPS ACTION 1 HEROS equipment list, and start from there where it came to allowing players to buy equipment for their characters.

First words out of his mouth on his list? 10mm rounds for his gun. GURPS HIGH TECH lists the price of rounds as $.6 per round. Digging on the net, I found 50 round boxes being sold for almost $19 (a penny shy - not including S&H obviously). So, we started on the next item:

MRE's

I tried looking in GURPS CLASSIC SPECIAL OPS, GURPS HEROES 1, etc - on the search word for MRE and Meals ready to eat and also just plain meals. Nothing popped up in my SEALS IN VIETNAM, HIGH TECH, etc.

So, I started to look through TWILIGHT 2013, and found references to was looking for. Then I did a search on *twilight*.pdf on my computer and found the Conversion that was written by Z09SS that I had forgotten I had (Darn it!!!) and found MRE first off.

So, THANK YOU AGAIN for having done the work on this. :)

Time will tell if this particular character survives long enough overall. I've instituted the "hero points" concept that was introduced in GURPS where you can buy successes with experience points. Here, you have to BUY hero points before the game starts etc. Like JAMES BOND 007, natural crit successes also gain Hero Points free of charge. Even with those hero points and Luck as an advantage, I cringe to think that his character can bite the dust easily enough.

Last game session resulted in him trying to set a claymore mine in a hallway for a defensive position against an illegal "extraction" of someone he's contracted to defend. So, he's putting his claymore into place without a security element to watch his back. Next thing he knows, four men appear in the hallway unexpectedly. Thanks to Combat Reflexes, he's surprised, but not SURPRISED as it were. Thinking quickly, he grabbed the pin on the arming mechanism for the Claymore and threatened a Mexican standoff against the four that were within kill zone range. They retreated, he retreated, and then forgot about the claymore in the excitement of things happening thereafter.

Sometimes, luck and hero points aren't just going to cut it if a player pulls one too many "Mexican standoffs".

For now, I'll just start to grab the equipment that is listed, and see where it takes me.
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #82
safisher
Gunnery Sergeant,
 Imperial Marines
Coauthor,
 GURPS High-Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
I tried looking in GURPS CLASSIC SPECIAL OPS, GURPS HEROES 1, etc - on the search word for MRE and Meals ready to eat and also just plain meals. Nothing popped up in my SEALS IN VIETNAM, HIGH TECH, etc.
MRE is on page 35 of High-Tech.
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #83
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by safisher View Post
MRE is on page 35 of High-Tech.
Thanks for the reference - clearly I missed it.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #84
HANS

Quote:
Nothing popped up in my SEALS IN VIETNAM.
That's because they didn't exist in the timeframe. The correct MCI and LRP rations are in there (SEALs in Vietnam, p. 23).

Cheers

HANS
Old 10-16-2017, 01:52 PM   #85
Tessen

Thanks for your quick response I thought I'd be waiting ages until my message came up on your radar!.

com...guv?...Ah yes of course I get what you're on about.

Could you please send it to iron_sight@zoho.com OR gods.disco@gmail.com that would be most appreciated.
Tessen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #86
Z09SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
That's because they didn't exist in the timeframe. The correct MCI and LRP rations are in there (SEALs in Vietnam, p. 23).

Cheers

HANS
Now if it had been titled GURPS: Stephen Seagal IS A SEAL in Vietnam, you'd have had to include MRE's and stats for the OICW to make the setting more believable...
Old 10-16-2017, 02:42 PM   #87
Johnny1A.2

Quote:

Time will tell if this particular character survives long enough overall. I've instituted the "hero points" concept that was introduced in GURPS where you can buy successes with experience points. Here, you have to BUY hero points before the game starts etc. Like JAMES BOND 007, natural crit successes also gain Hero Points free of charge. Even with those hero points and Luck as an advantage, I cringe to think that his character can bite the dust easily enough.

Last game session resulted in him trying to set a claymore mine in a hallway for a defensive position against an illegal "extraction" of someone he's contracted to defend. So, he's putting his claymore into place without a security element to watch his back. Next thing he knows, four men appear in the hallway unexpectedly. Thanks to Combat Reflexes, he's surprised, but not SURPRISED as it were. Thinking quickly, he grabbed the pin on the arming mechanism for the Claymore and threatened a Mexican standoff against the four that were within kill zone range. They retreated, he retreated, and then forgot about the claymore in the excitement of things happening thereafter.

Sometimes, luck and hero points aren't just going to cut it if a player pulls one too many "Mexican standoffs".
No matter what the legal speed limit, there's a breed of driver that will take it to mean s/he can go 10 mph faster. Raise the speed limit and they'll raise that 10-mph margin in synch.

There's a kind of player that thinks the same way. Put in a safety margin like hero points or karma or whatever, and he takes as a sign to take more risks...
Old 10-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #88
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
No matter what the legal speed limit, there's a breed of driver that will take it to mean s/he can go 10 mph faster. Raise the speed limit and they'll raise that 10-mph margin in synch.

There's a kind of player that thinks the same way. Put in a safety margin like hero points or karma or whatever, and he takes as a sign to take more risks...
Actually? This player is a miser with hero points from JAMES BOND 007, as they were nearly impossible to gain. In GURPS, while experience points do come at a steady rate, he needs them for other things like character progression and the like. Consequently, he'll give up two teeth and his left eye before he'll give up experience points. ;)

Later on he may start using them "wastefully" - but when he wants/needs allies or favors or what have you, well, finite currency is still finite.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #89
clavain

@zo9ss

Apparently despite lurking here for several years now I am still a "new user" and cannot send PMs . Would you mind sending me a copy of your Twilight 2000 conversion PDF? Email is mhubley (at) gmail.com

Or if anyone else reading this happens to have a copy please fire one my way.

Thanks!

Last edited by clavain; 07-23-2018 at 02:05 PM.
clavain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:06 PM   #90
clavain

Dooh! Nvm, just read the whole thread and found the Dropbox link. Thx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavain View Post
@zo9ss

Apparently despite lurking here for several years now I am still a "new user" and cannot send PMs . Would you mind sending me a copy of your Twilight 2000 conversion PDF? Email is mhubley (at) gmail.com

Or if anyone else reading this happens to have a copy please fire one my way.

Thanks!
clavain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2000, gurps, high-tech, twilight