Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 02-12-2018, 12:17 AM   #61
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: GCA and Dungeon Fantasy RPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
For Spells:
The distinction between clerical and holy no longer exists. Probably best to collapse those two into one PI type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I thought I had done that, but there was a lot of stuff, so I may have missed some places. I'll look at fixing that, too.
Note: "Clerical" spells are from the Basic Set and are the "generic" treatment of PI spells. "Holy" spells are specifically from Dungeon Fantasy, and follow any special case rules from DF. The Clerical spells and Power Investiture (Clerical) don't need to be "collapsed" into the Holy spells, the Clerical spells and PI (Clerical) need to be utterly removed from the DFRPG files.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:44 AM   #62
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuljita View Post
The use cases for putting an unimproved skill on your sheet for DFRPG are pretty few
Few in number, HUGE in utility.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #63
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Note: "Clerical" spells are from the Basic Set and are the "generic" treatment of PI spells. "Holy" spells are specifically from Dungeon Fantasy, and follow any special case rules from DF. The Clerical spells and Power Investiture (Clerical) don't need to be "collapsed" into the Holy spells, the Clerical spells and PI (Clerical) need to be utterly removed from the DFRPG files.
I rebuilt the spells, so while largely copied from the old source, all the old Clerical stuff in there was indeed excised; but, I *renamed* all the ident() and countasneed() and colleges for Clerics as "Clerical" to match the book and our required utility.

However, I didn't update some references, such as the name of the Power Investiture attribute, which is still "Holy PI". So some stuff like that is out-of-whack still. And there may be a reference here and there to Holy when it should be Clerical, so I should check all that.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #64
zuljita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Few in number, HUGE in utility.
I'll grant that, but if the choices are either have some skills show up wrong when you add a basic template or lose the ability to list skills you didn't take for default purposes, it seems the right call is clear, make the templates work as the book shows them.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #65
Bruno

There's only a few cases where a template adds skills with cross-skill defaults at such a level that you end up facing the "buying from default" problem. Any and every character type can benefit from putting any skill with a default on their character sheet.

Defaults are a hugely distinctive part of DFRPG (and the parent system, GURPS). I strongly feel this is a more-worse solution.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:05 PM   #66
zuljita

I ran into it several times when making a bard and once when making both a cleric and a scout.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #67
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

I'm very happy to see progress on this. I appreciate everyone's work.

I assume adding the DFRPG character sheet would be a significant undertaking. Any chance that that's in the plans after all the important stuff is done?
Old 02-20-2018, 09:42 AM   #68
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
I'm very happy to see progress on this. I appreciate everyone's work.

I assume adding the DFRPG character sheet would be a significant undertaking. Any chance that that's in the plans after all the important stuff is done?
Is there a particular aspect of the sheets that you like, or is it just that there are some, so you'd like to see them?

Other than providing more space for things, and therefore using more pages right from the get-go than the GURPS sheet, I don't see that it is really much different than the GURPS sheet. Although there are the little explanatory text blocks, too, I guess.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #69
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
Is there a particular aspect of the sheets that you like, or is it just that there are some, so you'd like to see them?

Other than providing more space for things, and therefore using more pages right from the get-go than the GURPS sheet, I don't see that it is really much different than the GURPS sheet. Although there are the little explanatory text blocks, too, I guess.
I run demos of DFRPG at conventions, so I try to present as much of the aesthetic as I can and the new sheets have a cool new look to them along with the bits of helpful information that you mentioned.
So for me it's mostly the appearance.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #70
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB.6361 View Post
I run demos of DFRPG at conventions, so I try to present as much of the aesthetic as I can and the new sheets have a cool new look to them along with the bits of helpful information that you mentioned.
So for me it's mostly the appearance.
That's pretty much what I thought. Okay, I'm hip deep in something else right now, but since most of the data blocks on the DFRPG sheets are a lot like the regular ones, I'll put making up the character sheets onto my list of things to do, and see if I can't come up with something the next time I'm sitting on a block of unalllocated time.