Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Proteus

Default Customizable Armor at TL 8?

I love the "Tailoring Armor" rules in GURPS Ultra-Tech for TL 9 and up, and the armor locations rules in GURPS Low-Tech for TL 0-4. Alas, GURPS High-Tech doesn't seem to offer quite as much flexibility.

I'm playing a fashion-conscious super-heroine in a modern-day, semi-realistic supers campaign, so I'm curious: has SJG published, or has anyone else invented, rules that make modern-day armor as customizable (in coverage, style, etc.) as the rules in Ultra-Tech? I haven't been able to keep track of the plethora of PDFs and Pyramids, but I'm hoping someone can help.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Customizable Armor at TL 8?

Is there a reason why you don't want to use the Ultratech rules with armor found in High Tech?
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
Proteus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Is there a reason why you don't want to use the Ultratech rules with armor found in High Tech?
I certainly could, by reverse-engineering a head-to-toe "suit" based on the stats of the pieces listed there, and/or downgrading a piece for limited coverage based on the given data.

Not knowing much at all about real-world armor, I just thought I'd ask if anyone else had played with the rules already.
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Miles

Well High Tech doesn't provide convenient suits of flexible armor to apply the tailoring rules.

More importantly, High Tech armor isn't as flexible and discreet as Ultra Tech armor. That's a feature, not a bug!
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I'm playing a fashion-conscious super-heroine in a modern-day, semi-realistic supers campaign, so I'm curious: has SJG published, or has anyone else invented, rules that make modern-day armor as customizable (in coverage, style, etc.) as the rules in Ultra-Tech?
Based on real-world figures and gear in basic, I'd figure a basic bodysuit is 14 lb, DR 8/2, $1,200; tailoring rules apply normally. That generates a too high weight for the ballistic vest (normal, torso only, 3.5 lb), too low for the tactical vest (heavy, torso/groin, 7.45 lb), but realistically the lighter armor probably qualifies for half coverage, and the heavier armor includes pouches and other non-armor functionality, and some stiffening for DR 12/5 instead of 12/3.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
armor, custom, design, high-tech, tailoring