Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-17-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
apoc527

Default [TS] Unsighted Shooting and Random Hit Location

Quick question here:

Would it be unreasonable to require those using Unsighted Shooting to roll randomly on the hit location table, reserving "torso as default" for only Sighted Shooting and Aimed fire?
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [TS] Unsighted Shooting and Random Hit Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Quick question here:

Would it be unreasonable to require those using Unsighted Shooting to roll randomly on the hit location table, reserving "torso as default" for only Sighted Shooting and Aimed fire?
Probably. There's no logical reason that you couldn't shoot for the torso of a person at 10 yards, given that you would be able to shoot at a person at 30 yards or a squirrel at 5.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Icelander

Yeah. If someone is skilled enough, he ought to be able to aim at specific hit locations even with Unsighted Shooting. Sure, he's doing some guessing as to where, precisely, his weapon is pointing, but that's why he's getting penalties relative to someone aiming.

Given that it's possible to snap shoot at fairly small targets, I don't think we ought to exclude particular small targets just because they are subsections of something larger.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
apoc527

Interesting. Would you let someone shoot for specific hit location without using the sights? The torso is one thing (a -0 modifier anyway), but unsighted shooting for the head (-7) seems a bit off.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Jetman123

If you are concerned about it, I suppose you could double the penalties for such and let people buy that off with a technique. That might be appropriate for a game with harsh realism.
Old 12-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
Icelander

Quote:
Interesting. Would you let someone shoot for specific hit location without using the sights? The torso is one thing (a -0 modifier anyway), but unsighted shooting for the head (-7) seems a bit off.
Sure I would.

Would you disallow a giant or a dragon attacking a human target without taking the time to Evaluate or Aim?

The reason that most attacks against specific hit locations ought to be aimed is that very few people have the skill necessary to hit them without using Aim.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Absolutely. I'd also let them shoot at a human at a -7 range modifier, which is at least as hard.

For that matter, I'd let them shoot at a fly's eye at that distance. Most characters would have zero chance of actually hitting that, but that's because the net modifier is awful, not because I arbitrarily forbid it.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
apoc527

I guess I just question the reality of trying to hit anything precisely without at least using the sights.

Then again, simply choosing to use the HL table can be its own reward. The -7 may make the shot impossible, but you can always randomly strike the skull!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
lexington

Quote:
Why? The shooter has some vague idea of where the gun is pointing even without looking at the sights. Getting a hit will be completely a matter of luck without a skill of 15+, which sounds right to me. Even with those skill levels they aren't going to do it beyond point blank range.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #10
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
I guess I just question the reality of trying to hit anything precisely without at least using the sights.

Then again, simply choosing to use the HL table can be its own reward. The -7 may make the shot impossible, but you can always randomly strike the skull!
I've seen it done, on egg-sized targets at close range, spaced a few yards apart. The time between draw and both hits was something insane, like 0.1 seconds (no crap). If I didn't see it in slow-motion on the video, I'd have said "no way." People can be remarkably accurate, with practice, at point-shooting.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat rules, hit location