Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Arm Hit Location - Overpowered?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
3x damage and potential death, and that's blown up a lot if you're allowing Impaling to do 2x before multiplying that by 3x.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
...Why on earth would you do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Because the standard rules are strange...
I think he meant why would apply the x2 multiplier for Imp then the x3 multiplier for vitals?

The rules state that damage multipliers for special hit locations merely increase the standard multiplier, not that they're cumulative with it.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 05-16-2010 at 09:40 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #12
Kale

Quote:
Because the standard rules are strange, at times: 5 points of Small Piercing to the Vitals hurts as much as 5 points of Huge Piercing to the Vitals.
I've never fully agreed with that in the RAW. I multiply the final modifier by the piercing type so getting hit with huge piercing in the vitals is worse than small piercing.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Because the standard rules are strange, at times: 5 points of Small Piercing to the Vitals hurts as much as 5 points of Huge Piercing to the Vitals.
I think that's a feature, not a bug. GURPS is pretty math-phobic, but I don't think they would have blinked at making vitals triple wounding rather than replacing the wounding factor if that's what they wanted.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #14
Ragitsu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
I've never fully agreed with that in the RAW. I multiply the final modifier by the piercing type so getting hit with huge piercing in the vitals is worse than small piercing.
Thank you. I knew I wasn't going entirely crazy.

Quote:
GURPS is pretty math-phobic
Delta-V calculations? Falling/Collision damage? Calculating the HP of objects? Sure...
Ragitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
Pagan

In a semi-realistic campaign, you probably want to use additional modifiers:

Poor lighting: -1 to -9
smoke -1 to -9
bad footing -2 or worse
These are fairly common in medieval times
Old 05-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #16
Ubiquitous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
I think he meant why would apply the x2 multiplier for Imp then the x3 multiplier for vitals?

The rules state that damage multipliers for special hit locations merely increase the standard multiplier, not that they're cumulative with it.
Increase by how? As in the 2x would add with 3x to become 5x?
Ubiquitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:53 PM   #17
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Delta-V calculations? Falling/Collision damage? Calculating the HP of objects? Sure...
...In your 'verse, rare use of multiplication counts as evidence against math-phobic design?

I guess we've got that one cube root, hidden in the appendices at the back, next to the word 'optionally' and under a table that exists only to keep people from using it. I'm claiming that as evidence on my side...they need that, it's fundamental to the system, and it's still hidden away like that.

Well, I guess that explains why they're so math-phobic...
Old 05-16-2010, 10:02 PM   #18
Kale

Quote:
Well, I guess that explains why they're so math-phobic...
When I'm running a game I like to resort to my calculator as little as possible. I agree with what math they have included; it is a reasonable balance between playability and realism. I just don't think people should have to do trig or cube roots during a game, and luckily GURPS doesn't require this.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:04 PM   #19
Jeminai

I very much agree that in a fantasy setting you should be applying modifiers for visibility, bad footing etc. This will make the -2 for the arm a little harder.

That being said, please remember that the middle ages was not actually the romantisized nonsense we see in the movies. Armor was lighter on the arms than on the torso and it also happened to be the thing that came closest to you, so it presented a very good target, for exactly the reasons cited. You lose use of your weapon (thus minimizing threat) and by crippling a limb you stun an opponent and therefore you give them a penalty to defend the next attack that finishes them off.

Also, it seems everyone is forgetting another thing. GURPS allows you the ability to actively defend. The soldier with a skill 10 that came at you with a 14 skill from his All-Out-Attack may have targeted your arm (-2) and put on a -1 to your defense by making it deceptive. If he rolls the 9 he POSSIBLY hits because you can declare a block with your shield and maybe even a retreat so you get DB from the shield and +3 to defend from the retreat.

You succesfully defend and now you retaliate, to his arm if you want, and he can't defend because of the All-Out-Attack. The ability to actively defend (unlike in other systems) balances the "ease" of the called shot to the arm.
Jeminai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #20
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiquitous View Post
Increase by how? As in the 2x would add with 3x to become 5x?
As in x2 becomes x3. They don't add; they don't multiply; the x3 for vitals replaces the normal x2 bonus for imp or any multiplier for pi. Read the Hit Location table and related notes on p. B552.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hit location, injury