Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 02-16-2011, 02:33 PM   #261
PK

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That's not what I meant. I meant I'm curious if there are rules to ensure they do actually promote the games, as opposed to sitting on their butt and collects promos for themselves.
Yes, there are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjamma4 View Post
Yes, since dice are not printed, I find it unusual to say that a dice game was sent to the printers. Obviously YMMV.
Actually, dice are printed, in a sense. Embossing, engraving, etc., are all still a type of printing. Also, the rules, box or back, etc., have to be printed the old-fashioned way. It's common to lump all of the different types of component manufacturing companies in as "printers," when discussing where a product is. Just FYI.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}

Last edited by PK; 02-16-2011 at 02:44 PM.
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #262
davester64

I wonder if the dice game is a new game?
davester64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:59 PM   #263
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Phil does his best to keep away, but I stole a kidney while I was staying at his place last month.
I knew game design didn't pay very well, but... organlegging? <g>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Not mentioned in the report, but gratifying nonetheless, is how SJG has been treating its minor lines. While In Nomine isn't even close to a priority, for example, it has still received some small attention -- two re-releases and a new release on e23 in 2009, and a much-awaited e23 re-release in 2010. Believe me, guys, I'm grateful.
Likewise.

SJGames has a large back-catalog of older games, and with e23 you have a relatively-inexpensive distribution method for them (once they're digitized, which isn't always easy), so the "long tail" is there to ride. But nobody's going to bother riding that long tail if they think the games are dead. I'm happy to see new releases for the "long tail" games, since that shows a company commitment to keeping those games alive. (I wish there were more releases for the "long tail" games, but business is business...)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #264
rlbeaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
I take you mean there's other more significant issues...

Not just the FLGSs, but when I did decide to pick up the Low-Tech Hardback I went looking for it online and other than W23 and Amazon I couldn't find it out there at all. No one is selling it.

Couldn't order it from B&N or Borders either, since the latter is going out of business it's not surprising, but if you go on Barnes&Noble.com you still can't order it from them, even today. No images, no info and not updated.
You get:
"A new copy is not available from Barnes & Noble.com at this time."
FWIW, I was watching Amazon.com for it and it kept saying "not in stock"...in the end, I went and ordered it anyway from them. Within a couple of days, they stocked it and shipped it, but they only stocked a few copies as it immediately went to "only 2 copies left" rather than "not in stock". So it may be a just in time ordering thing for them.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #265
stefanj

This is probably something the SJGames crew has thought of already, but just in case someone there didn't come up with it:

That empty room could be lined with bunk beds and rented out to hobos. Hobos are known to have mildly mystical powers and unnatural wisdom, as well as being handy for collation work, inking dice, and weeding the garden. Since they accept payment in slumgullion and spare change it could be a good use of the space until it is feasible to buy that POD machine.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #266
LKW
GURPS Traveller Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
That empty room could be lined with bunk beds and rented out to hobos.
The PoD room is not empty* . . . it has stuff in it. Just not a printing press/binding machine. The stuff that is currently there will move somewhere else when the PoD machine shows up.

*none of the rooms at SJG World HQ are empty.
www.lorenwiseman.com
www.irbw.com
LKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #267
RevBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKW View Post
*none of the rooms at SJG World HQ are empty.
Well, there IS that one room down the hall from where we breed the fnords. I'm not sure if it's really empty or if that's where we left the blivit engineering squad, though. Maybe both...those blivits are tricky.

Looking for a St. Aosbczkcs medal.
RevBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #268
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
That empty room could be lined with bunk beds and rented out to hobos.
That isn't the best room to outfit with beds. Would SJGames really want it known that they have PoD people in residence?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #269
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
This is probably something the SJGames crew has thought of already, but just in case someone there didn't come up with it:

That empty room could be lined with bunk beds and rented out to hobos. Hobos are known to have mildly mystical powers and unnatural wisdom, as well as being handy for collation work, inking dice, and weeding the garden. Since they accept payment in slumgullion and spare change it could be a good use of the space until it is feasible to buy that POD machine.
Everybody knows the danger of hobos!

Caution: Links are to funny (and like most good comedy, potentially NSFW and offensive, depending on your sensibilities) popular online comic.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:44 AM   #270
Decibalus

When I read The Stakeholders Report I thought, maybe, GURPS was on the skids, but after reading the discussions I feel better about the state of GURPS. Even though the future for GURPS is probably going to be in PDF, I am glad it is still being produced. But in The Stakeholders Report, Steve Jackson said, “We continued to offer RPG support, mostly in PDF form . . . which breaks even on fewer copies, making up for a shrinking market.” What frightens me is the last part. I believe it is the tabletop market that is shrinking. However, I understand Steve Jackson Games is a business and they have to produce what will be the most profitable. I would hate to see GURPS go away (God forbid!), but if in the grand business scheme SJG needs to cut off the dead weight in order to thrive, then so be it. I still love the non-RPG games, but I am a huge GURPS player and fan as well.

From what I have gleaned from the internet, there are more people playing RPGs than ever before, but it is online. As a Historian, I know that it is all cyclical. I hope down the road there will be a resurgence in the popularity in tabletop RPGs like GURPS. I do not truly consider any game (whether published by SGJ or any other company) dead. They are in stasis for the time being, until such time as they are needed again (legalities permitting).
Decibalus is offline   Reply With Quote