Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #101
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Let's Make Shadowrun

Which requires TL12 technology, which is a bit beyond Shadowrun level of technology. Anyway, it is not only the tech of Shadowrun that matters, it also the magic. A beginning troll adept in Shadowrun 4e could punch for 16P electricity damage, which is capable of penetrating powered combat armor.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 01-18-2020 at 01:27 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:27 PM   #102
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Which requires TL12 technology, which is a bit beyond Shadowrun level of technology. And you still do not have an augmentation that gives +5 Dexterity (just a drug assisted training regime). In addition, the Bone Stilumation and Skeletal Stengthening are not augmentations, as they are either a drug regime (Bone Stimulation) or a nanotech reinforcement (Skeletal Stregthening). They cannot be ripped from a dead body and repackaged as second-hand augmentations.
Well there's Reinforced Skeleton (TL10) and Hyperdense Skeleton (TL11) both Ultra Tech page 214. Though honestly, I can't really see how you could have second-hand augmentations; even stolen shoes from a dead body aren't going to fit most people, let alone stolen Skeletons!

Shadowrun Looks like GURPS TL 10 with the occasional TL11 or TL12 item here and there. Skeletal Stengthening looks like it wouldn't cause too many problems.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 02:03 PM   #103
AlexanderHowl

Sorry, I think your post crossed my edit to my post. Anyway, second-hand augmentations are a staple of the Shadowrun setting (though higher grade augmentations are more personalized). If you are willing to accept paying an extra ×1.2 to the Essence cost, they will find you an augmentation that fits for 50% normal price. One assumes that they were looted from corpses or even less pleasant alteratives for 25% normal price.

In the case of Muscle Replacement 4, you could get a secondhand alphaware for the same cost as new basicware, but at 4% less Essence Cost (-3.84 versus -4.00). With a global population to extract from, suppliers can probably find suitable augmentations unless they are really exotic. Of course, when your character ends up dying, the Muscle Replacement 4 could be harvested and sold to suppliers for 5,000 Y.

Last edited by AlexanderHowl; 01-18-2020 at 02:07 PM.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 04:13 PM   #104
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Anyway, we were talking about augmentations, not chemical or training regimes. GURPS augmentations are not balanced for a Shadowrun setting because, since they require CP and cash,
Nope, not _the_ one way to do that.

I, for example am quite satisfied with buying augmentations during character creation with the metagame currency of cp only and after the game starts with in-game currency such as $, connections and Skill use. This is one of the permissable options.

Tags
shadowrun