Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-27-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Scawt

Default Resolving big item limit

Hi there, my friends and I were playing Munchkin last night and we ran into a situation that we weren't too sure on how to deal with.

One of us had an ally which allowed him to use an additional big item (because the ally grants two hands, and can hold it). A curse then got rid of the ally, but we weren't sure what to do with the item. The item was not attached to the ally, so we thought it should go back to being held, but then he was exceeding the big item limit, so we weren't sure how to resolve that.

This could also happen with the dwarf race, so I feel like it's not a very uncommon occurrence, so I ask you what we ought to do in this situation.

Thanks for your help.
Scawt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
koolkat67

Default Re: Resolving big item limit

Im thinking you would lose one of the Big Items in both the Ally and Dwarf situations and you just get to choose which gets discarded.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:27 PM   #3
Scawt

I'm not sure that's the case, because in the rules it states that you can't discard big items. You have to lose them to powers, curses, selling, etc.

So I mean, I guess you could consider losing your ally/race as a result of a curse a flow-on effect that also discards the big item, but the question then has to be asked: what if you're just giving up your dwarf race?

Maybe you just can't give up your race if it's going to put you into a rule breaking situation like that.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
koolkat67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scawt View Post
I'm not sure that's the case, because in the rules it states that you can't discard big items. You have to lose them to powers, curses, selling, etc.

So I mean, I guess you could consider losing your ally/race as a result of a curse a flow-on effect that also discards the big item, but the question then has to be asked: what if you're just giving up your dwarf race?

Maybe you just can't give up your race if it's going to put you into a rule breaking situation like that.
Im thinking that part of the rules refers to when you want to simply put another Big Item in play. THEN you cant just discard.
Im still thinking if you lose the ability, whether by force or choice, to carry Big Items you can only discard. One of the big boys will answer this better for you.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
koolkat67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scawt View Post
One of us had an ally which allowed him to use an additional big item (because the ally grants two hands, and can hold it)
Im also wondering if this is correct to do. Im not sure you can simply carry another Big Item because you have 2 more hands unless the Ally specifies that you can.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
Enzzo

Fortunately, the rules specify exactly what to do in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
Big Items: You may carry any number of Small items, but only one Big one. (Any item not marked Big is considered Small.) You may not discard one Big item to play another; you must sell the first Item, trade it, lose it to a Curse or Bad Stuff, or discard it to power a Class or Race ability.
If something lets you have more than one Big item (for instance, the Dwarf race) and you lose that ability, you must either correct the problem immediately or get rid of all but one Big item. If it’s your turn and you’re not in combat, you can sell the excess Big items (as long as you have at least 1,000 Gold Pieces of Items to sell). Otherwise, you must give them to the lowest-Level player(s) who can carry them! If any Big items are still left over, discard them.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:02 PM   #7
koolkat67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzzo View Post
Dont have that in my rules but it sounds pretty good.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
Scawt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzzo View Post
Ah, thank you very much. I did read the copy of the rules that we had available but I wasn't able to determine what we should do (it's entirely possible that I just didn't find them whilst they were there all along, lol).

Thank you very much for answering my question.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
DRaider_GR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
Otherwise, you must give them to the lowest-Level player(s) who can carry them!
What happens if the lowest-Level player is level 2 for example and can't carry it? You give it to the next lowest-Level player? Or giving it to the lowest-Level player is not an option any more?
Old 12-29-2014, 09:59 PM   #10
Enzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaider_GR View Post
What happens if the lowest-Level player is level 2 for example and can't carry it? You give it to the next lowest-Level player? Or giving it to the lowest-Level player is not an option any more?
You must give it to the next-lowest-level player, if they can carry it. Among players who can carry the Big item, you must give it to the one whose level is lowest. If two or more players who can carry the Big item are tied for lowest level, you choose who gets it.

Example: You have to give away a Big item. The other players are:

Player A is Level 2, and cannot carry it.
Player B is Level 3, and can carry it.
Player C is Level 3, and can carry it.
Player D is level 4, and can carry it.

You may give it to player B or C, your choice.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote