Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:57 PM   #131
Phantasm

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
The implausibility seems to be about a deca-Batman, which as everyone knows is roughly two HYDRAs.

Hail Hydra!
Which Hydra? The Nazi science division, the comics version with an island HQ that got blown up, the one that hid in plain sight inside SHIELD, the corporate version, or the virtual reality one where they succeeded in their overthrow of the US during Winter Soldier?

:)

But yeah, I'm with the sentiment that this breaks even a comic book nerd's suspension of disbelief for being too implausible, even for a comic book type universe.

We're talking stuff that would make the Silver Age Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen titles cringe in disbelief, much less the late-Golden Age (post-WWII) Blackhawks.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Old 01-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #132
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
This is what I can say:
Yes, a law can be passed that way. But there is a different body of law, called the Constitution of the United States (plus decisions of the Supreme Court applying it to various cases), that cannot be passed, repealed, or changes with a mere majority of both houses of Congress and a presidential signature. It takes two-thirds of both houses of Congress; a presidential signature; and THEN approval by the governments of at least three-fourths of the states (currently 38). And it is long accepted that if there is a conflict between the Constitution and ANY OTHER LAW, the Constitution wins, and the Supreme Court gets to say so. So you can't just say, "Oh, but the law can be changed." There are countries where that's true, but in the United States it's not so simple.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #133
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
That seems like a complete non sequitur to the rules related question whswhs asked you.
I agree. I'm not asking whether Alonsua thinks a certain belief about the real world is plausible (for one thing, if it's a belief about the way things work in the United States, Alonsua may not be fully informed). I'm asking whether Alonsua is saying, "The rules say X, so X is realistic!" or asking "The rules say X. Is X realistic or not?"

Old 01-11-2019, 04:13 PM   #134
whswhs

Quote:
Obviously there has to be a way for a party to emerge with the possibility of winning the elections. Otherwise, we would be talking about a dictatorial system and not a presidential republic. In any case, it is not unconstitutional.
Well, not quite. "Dictatorial" is usually understood in English to mean that there is only one party that can hold any power. In the United States there are two parties that can hold power, which goes back and forth between them. But they do create substantial obstacles to any other parties getting onto the ballot; as a libertarian, I've watched the Libertarian Party struggle with these since 1972.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #135
Alonsua
Banned

• The US government begins to investigate Genesis Technologies due to alleged monopolistic practices and asks the corporation to license its processes and products to third parties.
  • Genesis Technologies refuses to sign a decree of consent of the US Department of Justice and antitrust legal actions are initiated against the corporation.
  • Judge Yvette Alexander reports on her findings and states that Genesis' dominance of the health market constitutes a monopoly.
  • The court orders to dismember Genesis and license its processes and products.
  • Representatives of Genesis file an appeal directly with the Supreme Court of the United States.
  • The Supreme Court refuses to consider the appeal and sends it to the federal appeals court.
  • The San Francisco District Court of Appeals reverses Judge Alexander's ruling, who does not attend the sessions and is accused of unethical conduct in relation to the interviews she had granted to the press, in violation of the Code of Conduct of the judges of the United States.
  • We Can is born as a new formation that breaks into the ecosystem to revolutionize the American political map.
  • Judge Stephen Breyer is chosen to judge the case.
  • The US Department of Justice announces that it no longer requires Genesis to be divided and seeks a less demanding antitrust penalty.
  • After allocating billions of dollars to promote slogans like " 2012 Starts The Change " or " If we move, we change everything ", and messages like " They are hate, deceit, lies, corruption, We are the joy, the hope, the future "," The fear that the caste has for us feeds our desire to keep moving forward " and " To hatred, lies or defamations of those who do not respect us, I tell them that their hate is our smile ", We Can gets 300 seats in the House of Representatives and 69 senators.
  • The podemist Alexia McDaniels sweeps in the elections and is named president of the United States.
  • Judge Breyer issues his ruling declaring Genesis innocent and dropping the charges.

I hope its better now.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:25 PM   #136
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I agree. I'm not asking whether Alonsua thinks a certain belief about the real world is plausible (for one thing, if it's a belief about the way things work in the United States, Alonsua may not be fully informed). I'm asking whether Alonsua is saying, "The rules say X, so X is realistic!" or asking "The rules say X. Is X realistic or not?"
The second one.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:27 PM   #137
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
... and the Supreme Court...
So Genesis also needs to take over the Supreme Court... It does not seem very difficult after all the above, especially since the appointments are made by the government. They just need to remove the current members.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:33 PM   #138
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Well, not quite. "Dictatorial" is usually understood in English to mean that there is only one party that can hold any power. In the United States there are two parties that can hold power, which goes back and forth between them. But they do create substantial obstacles to any other parties getting onto the ballot; as a libertarian, I've watched the Libertarian Party struggle with these since 1972.
What obstacles are we talking about?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:34 PM   #139
Diomedes

Quote:
So Genesis also needs to take over the Supreme Court... It does not seem very difficult after all the above, especially since the appointments are made by the government. They just need to remove the current members.
The appointments are for life, and it is an increasing trend to appoint relatively young Justices, so they’ll serve longer.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #140
whswhs

Quote:
The San Francisco District Court of Appeals reverses Judge Alexander's ruling, who does not attend the sessions and is accused of unethical conduct in relation to the interviews she had granted to the press, in violation of the Code of Conduct of the judges of the United States.
That seems somewhat unlikely, as the federal appeals court in California is further to the left and less sympathetic to corporate interests that the other federal appeals courts.

Quote:
We Can is born as a new formation that breaks into the ecosystem to revolutionize the American political map.
Here is a point where you have just dodged around all the hard issues by announcing "X happens" with no explanation or process.

There's a classic cartoon that shows two scientists in lab coats at a blackboard (that's how old it is!). On the blackboard is written a series of numbered steps, most of which are equations; step 7, however, is the words "A miracle happens!" One of the scientists is pointing at step 7. The caption is "I think you need to be more explicit in step 7."

I think the line above is your current "a miracle happens!"

Quote:
Judge Stephen Breyer is chosen to judge the case.
Single Supreme Court justices are not chosen to judge cases. Every case is heard by all the sitting justices together, and then voted on.

Quote:
After allocating billions of dollars to promote slogans like " 2012 Starts The Change " or " If we move, we change everything ", and messages like " They are hate, deceit, lies, corruption, We are the joy, the hope, the future "," The fear that the caste has for us feeds our desire to keep moving forward " and " To hatred, lies or defamations of those who do not respect us, I tell them that their hate is our smile ", We Can gets 300 seats in the House of Representatives and 69 senators.
I think that's a further "a miracle happens!"

Quote:
Judge Breyer issues his ruling declaring Genesis innocent and dropping the charges.
He's only one of nine justices. How did he get the rest to go along?

Quote:
I hope its better now.
Only in the sense that the unbelievable points are somewhat more explicit.

Closed Thread