Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #21
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Parry or Block for someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
What would you do if you want to create a dodge for a friend but not by tackling them to the ground in a sacrificial Dodge and drop?

Like say they are petrified with fear exposed to gunfire but the ground is full of poisonous snakes so you just want to do a controlled tackle which keeps you both upright and moving behind cover?
I'd do that as a grapple and move. And yes I'd allow that "off turn" if necessary taking the place of other defenses in a defense chain.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:54 AM   #22
kdtipa

Quote:
What would you do if you want to create a dodge for a friend but not by tackling them to the ground in a sacrificial Dodge and drop?

Like say they are petrified with fear exposed to gunfire but the ground is full of poisonous snakes so you just want to do a controlled tackle which keeps you both upright and moving behind cover?
Just to add to the responses already there...

The situation I think you're going for sounds like a question I had a while back, but not as an active defense...
Catching and Pulling Someone to Safety

The premise is moving, grabbing hold of someone, and then continuing to move. And really that's probably a slam attack. I created a house rule to use a slam attack with the intention of moving the target doing as little damage as possible instead of the full on collision damage.

But the idea of doing it as an Active Defense: I think there's not enough time. Your initiative order is representative of how quick you are. A normal active defense can be done outside of your turn, but it's really a very short action. Moving, grabbing a person, and continuing to move seems like too much for an active defense. I don't think I'd allow it that way.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #23
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Is it possible for guys with Extra Attack to only choose to Wait on the Extra while using their 1st attack normally?
No because Extra Attack isn't a Maneuver on it's own right. It's part of the "Attack" Maneuver you've chosen.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
block, defense, parry, protect, sacrificial block, sacrificial dodge