Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #161
whswhs

Default Re: Comment my megacorporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
I didnīt know. Thank you! Do you think they can work in an alliance or something?
I can't imagine either party supporting repeal of the major antitrust laws, or of the laws enabling the Food and Drug Administration to regulate new medications. And wouldn't you need something like that to be done? Are you envisioning a way the various mergers can be put on hold for four years, without so alarming the general population as to send them back to the established parties?

Note that if support for the established parties does come back, the entire House of Representatives is up for re-election every even-numbered year; the new party could be swept out again as readily as it was swept in.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:44 PM   #162
AlexanderHowl

The Democratic Party and the Republican Party would ally together to destroy the third party.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #163
whswhs

Quote:
The three steps will not take much time and, when the job is done, the judges will be able to reheat their seats as if nothing had happened. You can also skip the first step and use nanobots. In addition, Genesis have two free appointments, one in 2017 and another in 2018.
How in the world do you figure that? Are two Supreme Court seats going to be vacated in those years? Well, okay, maybe they are, as they were in the real world (though Kennedy stepped down voluntarily, and he might not do so if a third party were in power). But any nominee has to be approved by the U.S. Senate, which is still controlled by the established parties (at least 66 senators are R or D, and likely 77).

If you are postulating that mind control nanobots are available, then you might just as well stop even talking about law and politics, and say that the human race is permanently enslaved at a neural level.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #164
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I can't imagine either party supporting repeal of the major antitrust laws, or of the laws enabling the Food and Drug Administration to regulate new medications. And wouldn't you need something like that to be done? Are you envisioning a way the various mergers can be put on hold for four years, without so alarming the general population as to send them back to the established parties?

Note that if support for the established parties does come back, the entire House of Representatives is up for re-election every even-numbered year; the new party could be swept out again as readily as it was swept in.
Yes, I noticed that it is very expensive, but it is possible that I have miscalculated the costs, because basically I assumed that, since the votes are direct, each candidate must be publicized individually, while it is completely possible that advertising the party would be enough. If this last possibility is closed, it is still preferable to maintain expenses for four or six years than to start a war (99 billion dollars for a 100% success against 100.8 billion dollars for a 50% success).

4.7 billion dollars seems a much more reasonable figure (the total expenses for that year seems to have been 6.2 billion dollars in total).

Last edited by Alonsua; 01-11-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #165
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
How in the world do you figure that? Are two Supreme Court seats going to be vacated in those years? Well, okay, maybe they are, as they were in the real world (though Kennedy stepped down voluntarily, and he might not do so if a third party were in power). But any nominee has to be approved by the U.S. Senate, which is still controlled by the established parties (at least 66 senators are R or D, and likely 77).
By 2016 We Can will have 69 seats in the Senate.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #166
Anthony

The real solution to all of the political problems is to just have enough popular support to overthrow the government. It's not impossible to get large amounts of power within the system, but the US government is by design resistant to change, and if you can actually pull together the support to get your way anyway, you don't have any real need to do so.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #167
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
The Democratic Party and the Republican Party would ally together to destroy the third party.
Shouldnt this be determined with Diplomacy rolls?
Old 01-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #168
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The real solution to all of the political problems is to just have enough popular support to overthrow the government. It's not impossible to get large amounts of power within the system, but the US government is by design resistant to change, and if you can actually pull together the support to get your way anyway, you don't have any real need to do so.
After making all the effort to formulate an equation with which to calculate the price of each representative and each senator in a certain state, by personal principles now I will continue with it XD
Old 01-11-2019, 06:08 PM   #169
whswhs

Quote:
By 2016 We Can will have 69 seats in the Senate.
Unless their increasing power results in a lot of people suddenly setting aside established differences to work against them.

It seems to me you have described at least three different processes for gaining power. One is electoral: get enough people into office, very quickly, to vote for radical changes in law, including various constitutional amendments, which will have to be passed by state governments as well as federal. One is a coup: murder Supreme Court justices and other inconvenient people. (If you are doing that, the electoral part seems redundant.) One is an ultra-tech mind control approach: reprogram everyone to do what you want. (If you are doing that, the coup and the electoral approach both seem redundant.)

On one hand, you respond to discussions of why the less drastic method won't work by talking of turning to the more drastic method. But on the other hand, the more drastic method seems to require a number of years of operating with a freedom that is not currently possible, whether to create radical new neurological tech, or to build an army more powerful than the US armed forces, BEFORE you can use those methods; and the less drastic method does not seem likely to gain you enough freedom of maneuver to do either of those things.

And in any case, a scheme that relies on all three of unprecedented political success, violent seizure of power, and invention of radical new technology being successful is overcomplicated and seems almost certain to fail.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #170
Icelander

Quote:
Shouldnt this be determined with Diplomacy rolls?
Well, as long as you keep in mind that modifiers of +10 and -10 for Task Difficulty Modifiers are a thing and that some reactions and attitudes are effectively fixed. Changing them would require many more skills than Diplomacy and a single roll, more likely a series of rolls over years.

Basically, if you want even remotely plausible settings, you probably shouldn't expect simple Quick Contests to produce usable results if they happen in a vacuum without the GM considering how complicated and difficult certain things are in real life. It's perfectly within the GURPS rule system to say 'You'll have to win a Regular Contest of Propaganda vs. population Will for that, before you get to the Politics and Diplomacy part of the plan. Roll once per year, with a +6 TDM to the Will for powerful forces of inertia and entrenched interests working against your goals'.