Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-13-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
Sunrunners_Fire

Default Re: Impenetrable defense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial666 View Post
Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction 150 [cosmic +50%]
IT:DR (/150) (Cosmic PM, +50%) ?
IT:DR (/150) (Cosmic, Rounds Down, +50%) ?
... something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial666 View Post
DR 6 [cosmic +50%, malediction proof +50%, hardened +120%, absorption: healing +80%, reflexive +40%, force field +20%]
Eww. One, you don't need Reflexive on that. It literally does nothing with this construction. Two, it is nearly useless for the intended purpose.

DR is a second-layer defense. (Your active defenses being a first-layer defense; parry, dodge, block.) It only applies to basic damage, not penetrating damage and not to injury. IT:DR is a fourth-layer defense which only applies to injury.

Example: I shoot you for 10 basic damage. You have DR 6. You take 4 penetrating damage. We then modify it by the wounding modifier to get injury taken. IT:DR applies to that, not to the basic damage and not to the penetrating damage. IT:DR (Cosmic PM) divides those 4 points of injury taken by 150, rounds up and subtracts the result from your current HP total -or- IT:DR (Cosmic, Rounds Down) divides those 4 points of injury taken by 150, rounds down and subtracts the result from your current HP total.
Sunrunners_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #12
munin

Spoiler:  

EDIT: Corrected below.

Last edited by munin; 04-15-2014 at 07:29 PM.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:23 PM   #13
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
Reflexive allows you to spend absorbed points as you receive them, rather than waiting for your turn:
Interesting. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:27 PM   #14
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

How much do you pay for IT:DR 150? I didn't think it was in the hundreds range at all. ......

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
Sunrunners_Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
How much do you pay for IT:DR 150? I didn't think it was in the hundreds range at all. ......
IT:DR (/150) [325]
IT:DR (/150) (Cosmic, Rounds Down, +50%) [488]
(GURPS Powers, pg 118)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:47 PM   #16
Libertine

Since it isn't a force field, a shot in the eye should bypass the DR, still, that's a big advantage.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:37 PM   #17
Belial666

But it is a forcefield...
Belial666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:58 AM   #18
Libertine

My bad, didn't see it.
Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:28 PM   #19
munin

I quoted PK above about when absorbed points could be spent, but I realized he made that statement before he became a line editor, so I PM'd him to ask if that was the official rule interpretation. This was his response:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK
… As a general rule, anything labeled with "this is not an action" or the equivalent is a free action, which means you can only use it on your turn.

However, the intent of Absorption was that it's intended to be used as soon as you're hit. Therefore, it's not a free action, it's a reflexive action. This is implied by the fact that it's an enhancement on DR, an advantage that only has an effect on others' turns (specifically, when they hit you). …
I asked him to clarify whether points could be spent only in response to absorbing damage (as well as free actions on your turn) or whether you could spend them at any time (such as before taking damage) and he said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK
At any time.
So Sunrunner was right, there doesn't seem to be a need for the Reflexive enhancement -- absorbing damage and spending absorbed points is already reflexive.

That's likely then also the case for the Energizing Defense imbuement (Pyramid #3/4, p. 12), which can improve traits "exactly as per the Absorption enhancement".
munin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage reduction, damage resistance