Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-13-2019, 01:31 AM   #1
awesomenessofme1

Default Godlike Abilities [Powers]

This is sort of the antithesis of the Minor League Supers thread and the old 50-point ability thread. This is the thread for ludicrously powerful, expensive abilities that would probably never work in a real game, but are fun to think about.

Here's one I made based on "the Snap" from Avengers: Infinity War.

Universal Culling (+5115%): Toxic Attack 500d (Area Effect 91, +4550%, Cosmic (Ignores DR), +300%, Cosmic (Ignores Damage Reduction), +300%, Bombardment (10, Special effect: Not affected by target size), -15%, Emanation, -20%) [104,300]

When Universal Culling is used, every living creature in the universe has a 50% chance of taking 500d of damage, unaffected by DR and Damage Reduction (this one I'm a bit iffy on, but I think it's plausible enough). The Bombardment is a matter of flavor. It can be changed for a comparatively minuscule amount of points. A 25% chance saves 100 pts, a 75% chance costs 100 points, a 90% chance costs 200 points, a 100% chance costs 300 points, and adding Selective Area costs 400 points. Removing Bombardment and adding Selective Area also brings the cost to a round [105,000] and turns it into an all-purpose instant-kill tool usable for anything from assassination to universal annihilation.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:46 AM   #2
Andreas

Default Re: Godlike Abilities [Powers]

Area of effect innate attacks like that do not cover the entire universe. Just a cylinder which (while very wide) is just 4 yards high.
Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 02:47 AM   #3
awesomenessofme1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Area of effect innate attacks like that do not cover the entire universe. Just a cylinder which (while very wide) is just 4 yards high.
Well, given that there are, to my knowledge, no ways to change the height of an Area Effect attack (seems like a pretty big thing to be lacking in my opinion), and the fact that the exact point total doesn't really matter, just assume that it has some large enhancement to make it spherical.
awesomenessofme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:02 AM   #4
Varyon

It should be possible to have it extend upwards instead. If we allow an ability to be shaped freely when initially designed, then considering each additional level of AE multiplies volume by 4, 44 additional levels of AE (+2200%, or [+4400]) will give roughly twice the volume of the universe.

If sticking with pure RAW, however, we’d have to make it Persistent and the +60% version of Wall, and considering the first level of AE with Wall gives only 72 yards, and each additional level gives x2 to the volume, that’s going to need a lot of levels of AE (the volume of the universe is roughly 5e80 cubic yards; if I’ve done my math right, that calls for 263 levels of AE). On the bright side, with it now doing damage over time, you don’t need to have the initial damage quite as high (you may want to add in Unhealing Damage or similar to negate any regenerators).
Old 10-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #5
Varyon

I should note that, above, when I said 72 yards I meant cubic yards.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
AlexanderHowl

There are some really cheap godlike abilities. For example, you could have Visualization (Blessing, +100%; Cosmic, +50%; Link, +20%; Reduced Time 7, +140%; Reliable, +10, +50%) [46] plus Visualization (Cosmic, +50%; Cursing, +100%; Link, +20%; Reduced Time 7, +140%; Reliable, +10, +50%) [46] to allow you to bless one person and curse a different person every turn during combat, allowing for some pretty substantial control abilities.

If you wanted, you could potentially take Compartmentalized Mind to provide blessings and curses to more than one pair of people per turn. With Massively Parrelel (+20%), you could even influence the fates of billions by taking level 64.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomenessofme1 View Post
Well, given that there are, to my knowledge, no ways to change the height of an Area Effect attack (seems like a pretty big thing to be lacking in my opinion), and the fact that the exact point total doesn't really matter, just assume that it has some large enhancement to make it spherical.
I dunno if it's been sourced since then, but we went over this in far more detail than I thought necessary (*winkgrin*) back in this old thread. You might find one of the suggestions there to your liking.
After all this time (nine years?! Good grief!), I still give away spherical ZOE for free. I've never found it to be a problem at the scales I play in. Maybe a premium becomes more needed at cosmic levels.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage reduction, hardened, powers