Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #91
kirbwarrior

Default Re: The Beauty of GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
In regard to point totals, GURPS does allow you to run games with very low to very high point totals. And you can even do that with PCs in the same game.
I remember watching the Avengers movies and being kind of impressed how vastly different power levels of heroes can still be made important. I feel like GURPS is the only system that really has the flexibility to let characters be different power levels and still function (although even it isn't great about it, I don't think any roleplaying system really could be).
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:19 PM   #92
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbwarrior View Post
I remember watching the Avengers movies and being kind of impressed how vastly different power levels of heroes can still be made important. I feel like GURPS is the only system that really has the flexibility to let characters be different power levels and still function (although even it isn't great about it, I don't think any roleplaying system really could be).
The ability to have PCs with very different power levels in the same group really hinges on good niche protection. Hawkeye, for example, really struggled to be relevant because a lot of other characters could do the same thing (powerful long range attacks) AND X Y and Z.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #93
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
The ability to have PCs with very different power levels in the same group really hinges on good niche protection.
In most campaign, agreed. "You bricks, keep those enemy thugs back while I disarm this bomb!"

In a humorous/silly campaign, the relatively incompetent PC can be a big part of the fun.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #94
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
The ability to have PCs with very different power levels in the same group really hinges on good niche protection. Hawkeye, for example, really struggled to be relevant because a lot of other characters could do the same thing (powerful long range attacks) AND X Y and Z.
With Hawkeye specifically, I feel that was taken into account of later with him feeling like he's allowed to retire and go be a family man because he no longer needs to do his job. Black Widow, though, has all the subterfuge skills that most of the others forget even exist, so even if her actual point total is (possibly much!) lower, she can and does help the team out. The fact she later gets weird gadgets means that someone (Stark?) is helping her keep up.

In actual roleplaying, yeah I definitely agree on really focusing on niche protection. Definitely work out ahead of time who covers what. Of course, this puts generalists in a weird spot, but...
Old 10-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #95
AlexanderHowl

Luck (literally) can make a lot of difference between capabilities. Any 'mundane' who is running with the Avengers is probably sporting Daredevil 4, Luck (Ridiculous), and Serendipity 2, for a total of 150 CP. They are also probably sporting Dodge 16+, so they are almost never going to be getting hit (they are also rerolling critical failures for defense while engaging in risky behavior, which is just awesome).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:21 PM   #96
kirbwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Luck (literally) can make a lot of difference between capabilities. Any 'mundane' who is running with the Avengers is probably sporting Daredevil 4, Luck (Ridiculous), and Serendipity 2, for a total of 150 CP. They are also probably sporting Dodge 16+, so they are almost never going to be getting hit (they are also rerolling critical failures for defense while engaging in risky behavior, which is just awesome).
True, but even 150pts might not make the difference. I could easily see this build slapped onto a 500pt mundane among 1000pt supers to give them an edge.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #97
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I think Luck is one of the most useful advantages a PC can buy for the price.

I do think, though, that the combination above moves well into Supernormal territory. I'm far from familiar with every superhero comic/movie/TV show, but off the top of my head I can't think of a hero or sidekick, super or not, who has 16+ Dodge--especially not combined with the other advantages.

In any case, it's doable in GURPS.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:01 PM   #98
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
. I'm far from familiar with every superhero comic/movie/TV show, but off the top of my head I can't think of a hero or sidekick, super or not, who has 16+ Dodge.
Doing the numbers it's probably everyone that isn't bulletproof.

Under the Gurps rules at least 2% of all attacks will hit because tha attacker rolled a crit success. It'll be 9.5% is he's good (16 or less). Then another 2% of the time that 16- Active Defense will fail because the defender rolled a 17 or 18.

So that's something like 1 bullet out of 25 hitting Spiderman and the observed % is nowhere near that high. It's probaly only that high for people that bullets bounce off of.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:05 PM   #99
AlexanderHowl

Spiderman definitely has a minimum of the first level of Daredevil and Luck, as well as a Dodge 16+, as he would otherwise have never survived some of the stunts that he pulls.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:44 PM   #100
Tyneras

Is leveled Daredevil a house rule or does it appear somewhere?
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4e