Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #101
alexondria

Default Re: In Nomine: the Pacific War (IC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post

Zahirah's superior is a Catholic deacon, though in every other respect he has no resemblance to the man who helped redeem her. Khalid's people have too much respect for such people to indulge such a crass manipulation. They shied in fact from the role of a priest, feeling that all priests should be genuinely so, and not mere roles.

'Deacon Jones' went to San Francisco when Zahirah did, expecting to be consulted from time to time, and was easily found at the tether at the Palace Hotel, chatting amicably around the fireplace with the other angels. To anyone passing by, he was just a vicar tending his flock.
"Zahirah," he said with genuine warmth, "what brings you here?"

((incidentally I haven't figured out what choir he is. Not at home to check the books.))

(I'd recommend Elohim since the thing most likely to cause her to trip would be getting too caught up in her emotions- that way he could keep an eye out for her weakness)

Zahirah would smile at him, "I was wondering what you could tell me about the dead. I've heard reports about them being restless, but I"m not sure if it's a report of souls that are as such, activity by Samianga, or someone trying to sound more profound than they truly are." She would of course make sure she was saying it when only angels are in hearing range.
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #102
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Corat's pleased. "You're trying to fatten me, aren't you?" It's a joke, clearly, as he digs into the nachos like a starving man. Always did like food. Sorry if we scared your coworkers--just fooling around."
"No worries, line cooks tend to be paranoid lots, especially when WE have to pay for anything missing."

Corat (and I assume Kane) dig in...ooh, melted cheese, avocado, sour cream, pork...oh, there goes a pepper or two. Wow that's hot. Thank goodness for milk tea.

Sunae smiles and puts her zither case in front of Kane.

"You wanted to see? Eli taught me the basics, luckily it was enough to figure most of it out. But, I'm still trying to figure out a few other things. Have fun, I expect you to have better luck with it than I."

Sunae watches Kane play around with her zither for a bit before returning her attention to Corat

"I know what brings you here, but what of you my friend?"
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #103
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Kane delves into the nachos with gusto -- and without any apparent discomfort, even when a handful includes an entire jalapeno.

"Not half bad," he says. "First person I've seen who knows what 'spicy' means since Maria Pham ...Mexican mom, Vietnamese dad and one unforgettable hot sauce." His eyes sparkle -- that sauce had been an unusual means of reinforcing Creation in the world, but a tasty one.

He accepts the zither with reverence, gently running his hands along it, studying the craftsmanship, the style, the tone.

"Gorgeous," he whispers as the experimental plucks ring like crystal bells. Then he sighs.

"Miss Sunae, it'd be Heaven to stay here all day with this and talk to you about it. But ..." He shrugs, lowers the instrument. "It ain't the only reason I came. T'ain't even the biggest one."

He looks at her and at Corat. "I talked with the boss a little while ago -- my actual boss, the one who blessed this," he said, hefting the zither a moment. "Sounds like there's been a dust-up in La-La Land. He needs me to check it out ... me an' a few folks who know the city. An' I thought I remembered someone sayin' you'd been out that way ... or maybe that you knew someone who had." He chuckles, brushes back some rumpled hair. "A lot of things got said that night, after all."

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #104
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Kane delves into the nachos with gusto -- and without any apparent discomfort, even when a handful includes an entire jalapeno.

"Not half bad," he says. "First person I've seen who knows what 'spicy' means since Maria Pham ...Mexican mom, Vietnamese dad and one unforgettable hot sauce." His eyes sparkle -- that sauce had been an unusual means of reinforcing Creation in the world, but a tasty one.
"Thank you. I'm glad it's not too hot for you. Nachos shouldn't be mild."

Quote:
He accepts the zither with reverence, gently running his hands along it, studying the craftsmanship, the style, the tone.

"Gorgeous," he whispers as the experimental plucks ring like crystal bells. Then he sighs.
"Yes, some of the old songs sound so different on it. I am only hoping to figure out how to replace the strings should it be needed, and how to tune it."

Quote:
"Miss Sunae, it'd be Heaven to stay here all day with this and talk to you about it. But ..." He shrugs, lowers the instrument. "It ain't the only reason I came. T'ain't even the biggest one."
"Please, just Sunae. I am not important enough to be a 'Miss', nor do I want to be."

And she waits, expectantly. It really was a bit of a pity, people don't usually seek her out to socialize.

Quote:
He looks at her and at Corat. "I talked with the boss a little while ago -- my actual boss, the one who blessed this," he said, hefting the zither a moment. "Sounds like there's been a dust-up in La-La Land. He needs me to check it out ... me an' a few folks who know the city. An' I thought I remembered someone sayin' you'd been out that way ... or maybe that you knew someone who had." He chuckles, brushes back some rumpled hair. "A lot of things got said that night, after all."
"Me? Not really. Once I found out who holds the city, I tried to steer clear of it. You might be thinking of Ryuki. He travels, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he or his family ventured there. I'm sorry"
Old 06-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #105
Rocket Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyarcana55 View Post

"Me? Not really. Once I found out who holds the city, I tried to steer clear of it. You might be thinking of Ryuki. He travels, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he or his family ventured there. I'm sorry"
"As it happens, I've gotta talk to Ryuki, too, but ..." How to put this diplomatically? "Well, he's got his own kinda guts, but he ain't a fighter. Not blood-and-mud-and-steel kinda fightin', anyway. If I gotta go into disputed territory, I want someone solid at my back." He meets her eyes. "What I saw at the party, thought that might be you."

While she's chewing on that (and the nachos), he looks at Corat. "You're pretty connected down there yourself, I guess. Know any good Seraphim in the area? I got kind of a ... gentle reminder that someone like that might come in handy."

Old 06-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #106
ladyarcana55

Quote:
"As it happens, I've gotta talk to Ryuki, too, but ..." How to put this diplomatically? "Well, he's got his own kinda guts, but he ain't a fighter. Not blood-and-mud-and-steel kinda fightin', anyway. If I gotta go into disputed territory, I want someone solid at my back." He meets her eyes. "What I saw at the party, thought that might be you."
"Ryuki is a fighter when he needs to be, but he goes to a lot of trouble to avoid that need. If you would have me, I would be honored."

Quote:
While she's chewing on that (and the nachos), he looks at Corat. "You're pretty connected down there yourself, I guess. Know any good Seraphim in the area? I got kind of a ... gentle reminder that someone like that might come in handy."
"One of the guys in the group, the one who didn't make it to the party, is a Seraph and he has a shop in the area. Yes, when dealing with Ryuki, a Seraph would be nice, but even then it doesn't help that much. He never gives a straight answer. He loves, loves, loves his stupid little word games. You never know what he is saying, what he isn't saying and what he means by what he says. I just don't have the time or patience for it."

She shakes her head in disgust

"I still can't believe I fell in love with the arrogant little prick"
Old 06-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #107
Rocket Man

Quote:

Kane coughs as a large piece of nacho lodges in his windpipe for a moment. "Sorry," he gasps, washing it down with the milk tea. "Too good to take small bites, I guess."

And thank goodness I'm not a Seraph ...

Old 06-26-2011, 05:08 AM   #108
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexondria View Post
(I'd recommend Elohim since the thing most likely to cause her to trip would be getting too caught up in her emotions- that way he could keep an eye out for her weakness)

Zahirah would smile at him, "I was wondering what you could tell me about the dead. I've heard reports about them being restless, but I'm not sure if it's a report of souls that are as such, activity by Saminga, or someone trying to sound more profound than they truly are." She would of course make sure she was saying it when only angels are in hearing range.
Deacon Jones is a little puzzled at the question, and has to stop to get his geography straight in his head. "There isn't much transit between death and the Pearly Gates. It's not like the Greeks thought where there was this river and these lands. it's more like us snapping back to our hearts. So assuming there's any truth to this, these people? this person?"

He pauses to let Zahirah fill him in, or not.

"...is talking about ghosts, the restless dead by definition. It's possible for them to be more restless, but there aren't many ways a person could know this. Short of a mass exodus somewhere, a medium isn't going to see this directly. However, if we're talking about a medium or mediums here, they usually have a messenger. Often that is a minor demon, and usually one of Saminga's, yes, pressed into service. Occasionally you'll get an ethereal, but if they're caught..." he shakes his head no, sadly. "Ghosts are attached to the things they loved in life, and often that's a place. Someone has to go to them to see how they are, and to get them to move someone has to move their things."

Quote:
"Ryuki is a fighter when he needs to be, but he goes to a lot of trouble to avoid that need. If you would have me, I would be honored."
"One of the guys in the group, the one who didn't make it to the party, is a Seraph and he has a shop in the area. Yes, when dealing with Ryuki, a Seraph would be nice, but even then it doesn't help that much. He never gives a straight answer. He loves, loves, loves his stupid little word games. You never know what he is saying, what he isn't saying and what he means by what he says. I just don't have the time or patience for it."

Corat hides a laugh under a bite, barely. "It's like Watari is its own language. You do get used to it after awhile, I promise. Though I have to give Mitchim props--Ryuki still doesn't know he's a Seraph, and he's actively been trying to figure that out. Shen could get him to shut up, but I'll bet Mitch has learned his 'language' by now. And..." Corat smirks directly at Sunae, "it's just as well. You know his heart is taken, right?" This leads him to a long string of thoughts he doesn't deign to share. "We should have seen he was a Creationer. It was on of the theories we had but we didn't take it seriously at the time."

He nods appraisingly at Kane. "I know L.A. pretty well, and Mitch knows it very well. Ryuki's got a dossier on practically every demon in that town, and what he doesn't have Jasmine will. I'll call him and ask him for it, but Soldier or no he will charge for that. So, what little amusement could we offer Il Divo for a look at his black book?"

((Apologies to Dallilama--I'm railroading as fast as I can! ;) ))
Old 06-26-2011, 07:50 AM   #109
alexondria

Quote:
Deacon Jones is a little puzzled at the question, and has to stop to get his geography straight in his head. "There isn't much transit between death and the Pearly Gates. It's not like the Greeks thought where there was this river and these lands. it's more like us snapping back to our hearts. So assuming there's any truth to this, these people? this person?"

He pauses to let Zahirah fill him in, or not.

"...is talking about ghosts, the restless dead by definition. It's possible for them to be more restless, but there aren't many ways a person could know this. Short of a mass exodus somewhere, a medium isn't going to see this directly. However, if we're talking about a medium or mediums here, they usually have a messenger. Often that is a minor demon, and usually one of Saminga's, yes, pressed into service. Occasionally you'll get an ethereal, but if they're caught..." he shakes his head no, sadly. "Ghosts are attached to the things they loved in life, and often that's a place. Someone has to go to them to see how they are, and to get them to move someone has to move their things."

((Apologies to Dallilama--I'm railroading as fast as I can! ;) ))
Zahirah would nod. "I've not met the medium in question. I honestly do not know if they are tied to a demon, a deluded person that just thinks they are seeing signs when really all they are seeing is chance, a con artist, or something else. I just wanted to be aware of the possibilities of what she could be talking about; to know if something could be making ghosts extra restless- such as Saminga pressing many of them into service against their will, or if it was possible that she was aware of the movements of demons with out knowing that's what she was aware of."
alexondria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #110
Andygal

Quote:
Ryuki arrives at his office just barely on time Monday, though being on salary 'on time' simply means 'with enough time to look okay for the first client'. During the meeting he has to use the tired old laptop and curses it quietly, missing his fast and reliable one. After the meeting's over he has Nicole hold the next until he can make a phone call.

"Ida Harris, this is Ryuki Watari. I'm sorry I missed you on Saturday and would like to let you know I'm in the office today. If you can't be here by five I'm going to a book fair after hours, and maybe we can meet there. Let you see how the middle half lives." He added the last bit with a smile--a computer tech, sure, but an angel. Best to get the You Do What!? out of the way early.
Ida picks up the phone and smiles, "A book fair sounds interesting, I think I'll take you up on that one."

(sorry for delayed response, distracted lately)

Tags
in nomine