Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-20-2016, 09:30 AM   #11
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: [Powers] [Weird] New ability / power / style ideas and builds

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
A power I would have liked to include might be called Inanimacy: The ability, for example, to possess a bunch of inanimate matter and turn it into a functional body. Basically it would be rulebreaking in that it would let you deal with mechanisms as if they were lifeforms.
Well you can turn inanimate matter into animate matter with Affliction then possess it. You can probably link the resistance rolls.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:32 AM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
A power I would have liked to include might be called Inanimacy: The ability, for example, to possess a bunch of inanimate matter and turn it into a functional body. Basically it would be rulebreaking in that it would let you deal with mechanisms as if they were lifeforms.
Not animation but treating them as sapient?
If so we have two precedents that might be useful.
1) Programing can be an Influence skill on AIs
2)Speak with Plants with grants IQ

So Machine Speech and Empathy with grants IQ would let you talk to and Influence Machines.
For any object I would make the cost of Empathy higher.
This could also be a Mystical ability based on Animistic beliefs.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 03-20-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #13
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Well you can turn inanimate matter into animate matter with Affliction then possess it. You can probably link the resistance rolls.
Can you? I'd like to see the build. If you can, this would be an obvious case for Linked.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 09:59 AM   #14
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Can you? I'd like to see the build. If you can, this would be an obvious case for Linked.
Blue Fairy! [389]
Affliction (Advantages*: (Enhanced Muscles +1, +80%; DX +1, +200%; IQ +1, +200%; BM +50%; BS +0.25, +50%); Cosmic: No Roll Required +100%; Cumulative +400%; Extended Duration +300%; Maladiction (Beneficial) +100%; Negated Disadvantages: (Blindness +500%; Deafness +200%; No Sense of Smell/Taste +50%; Numb +200%; Mute +250%; Quadriplegic +800%; Unhealing +300%); Selectivity +10%)

*Advantage covers Attributes. There's a kromm quote somewhere about this.

Baseline Inanimate objects have

ST 0 [-100]; DX 0 [-200]; IQ 0 [-200]; HT Variable
BS 0 [Variable] BM 0 [0] HP Variable [Variable]

Disadvantages: those listed above.

EDIT: Forgot Mute

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 03-20-2016 at 11:33 AM.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Try Affliction (Intuition (Aspected)).
How does Intuition help there? Intuition allows making a better choice among a finite (and usually small) number of known options.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #16
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
How does Intuition help there? Intuition allows making a better choice among a finite (and usually small) number of known options.
If you take that literally, it seems to make Intuition unplayable. In the kind of situation where you would want to apply it, you're not going to be able to count on coming up with the option that's valid; you may not have any idea what the options could be. If a character of mine took it, I would expect to spend a lot of time with the GM saying, "What do you think it could be?" and my saying, "I don't know enough to have an opinion." Of course that's why I would never take Intuition; it rather baffles me that anyone would.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:28 AM   #17
Eukie

Quote:
It seems to me that it would make better sense to treat the added fourth spatial dimension as "horizontal" rather than "vertical." That gives you actual increased freedom of movement in an easy way.
I thought a bit about what I'd written up, and the rules/guidelines I put down are actually fairly agnostic in that sense. I think the only things that are truly height-specific are the notes about 'Attack from Above' and 'Combat At Different Levels'.

Though for ease-of-use, it may be useful to run 4D combat on two sets of hex maps; one representing latitude and longitude, and the other representing altitude and spissitude. The parameters of how exactly hyperdimensionality works specifies whether spissitudinal movement is as easy as movement on ground or requires special powers akin to flight.

Melee Combat would only be possible if the attacker and defender are within Reach on both maps. Ranged combat has a 1.5 range modifier multiplier, and ranges are calculated as for 'Firing Upward and Downward' (B407). 4D Cone Attacks are treated like cones on both maps. 4-spherical Area Effect attacks are circles on both maps. With 3D Cone Attacks, it has a Maximum Width of 1 on one map and the specified Maximum Width on the other; the narrower one can be widened by a factor X by dividing the other one by X. This likewise applies to 3D spheres; a line of hexes on one map, and a circle on the other.
Eukie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:42 AM   #18
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
If you take that literally, it seems to make Intuition unplayable. In the kind of situation where you would want to apply it, you're not going to be able to count on coming up with the option that's valid; you may not have any idea what the options could be. If a character of mine took it, I would expect to spend a lot of time with the GM saying, "What do you think it could be?" and my saying, "I don't know enough to have an opinion." Of course that's why I would never take Intuition; it rather baffles me that anyone would.
In the Eggshell Transhuman Space campaign, I eventually got Intuition for my character by joining a Cabal Network. And the trait was interpreted as written in the Basic Set. I largely found it quite useful. Largely its uses followed the pattern like "We need to find the secret files; should we try finding them in the mainframe, social-engineer the NPC for them, search for them on an external memory storage disconnected but in the house, or look for a fourth option?" (not an actual example, because actual intuitive questions were more esoteric and context-dependent).
Old 03-20-2016, 11:15 AM   #19
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
In the Eggshell Transhuman Space campaign, I eventually got Intuition for my character by joining a Cabal Network. And the trait was interpreted as written in the Basic Set. I largely found it quite useful. Largely its uses followed the pattern like "We need to find the secret files; should we try finding them in the mainframe, social-engineer the NPC for them, search for them on an external memory storage disconnected but in the house, or look for a fourth option?" (not an actual example, because actual intuitive questions were more esoteric and context-dependent).
I can't imagine being able to do that. I would need the option in Gnosis:

If you have too little information to define the alternatives, you can still roll, but at ‑5 to IQ or skill.

Mind you, I'll stipulate that there are people who can come up with that sort of list. I just don't think that way.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:21 AM   #20
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukie View Post
I thought a bit about what I'd written up, and the rules/guidelines I put down are actually fairly agnostic in that sense. I think the only things that are truly height-specific are the notes about 'Attack from Above' and 'Combat At Different Levels'.
The other thing I'd say about your guidelines as written is that the long list of optional geometries really confuses me. I don't get a sense of how one differs from another, or when to choose which one. That's not to say the categories are wrong. But I think I would find it clearer if you introduced options with something like, "If you are in hyperspace, and can move there, and your foe is in hyperspace, and can move there, then. . . ." Maybe not so long-winded, but I need a bit more help in picturing the things you're saying.

Tags
powers, powers: the weird, the weird, weird