Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default Dungeon Fantasy in Banestorm

Once again, I've been thinking about running Dungeon Fantasy in Banestorm. Now, I've already covered how I think the new races could fit into the setting, and I once started a thread about possible Dungeon ideas for Banestorm.

So now I'm going to handle the Adventurers themselves. Here's how I think the various "classes" would fit into the setting:

-Barbarians: The obvious origin for Barbarian PCs is the cliche Northern Warrior going south for adventure, loot and glory. But there are other options. Giants, Minotaurs, Reptile Men, Orcs and Ogres all sound like ideal Barbarian candidates, and in all but the Orc and Minotaur's case, they wouldn't need Gigantism, either (As a sidenote, I think Minotaur should get SM+1). And nearly any additional lenses could be added to make stuff like Barbarian tribal shamans or hunters.

-Bards: There's already a 150 pt Bard in the book, with an optional +20 lense for Magic-using Bards. The Bardic Colleges supply traditional Bards, although the Barbarian lense can give you a Northern Skald quite nicely. And combining
it with the Scout template could give you a good Elven "everyman", equally
skilled at stealth, skilled fighting, spellcasting, woodland survival and the arts.

-Clerics: Now, Power Investiture characters would change the setting quite a bit, but I would handle their inclusion much like how Eberron handles it's own clerics; as holy champions serving their faith, but not really functionning as part of Church structure. They could effectively replace Priest-Wizards, although I'd also keep Mystics as another aspect of Yrth metaphysics.

-Druids: Now for this one, I'd tweak the setting by combining Paganism with Elven Eternism to create a syncretic belief in Nature-Worship, with religious guides casting nature-related magic, and capable of shapeshifting.

-Holy Warriors: See the above note for Clerics, and add an option for fanatical religious-minded warriors, serving as the champions of their faith. Now, imagine a Templar Holy Warrior fighting a Gazi Holy Warrior, each one cursing the other as a "godless heathen". Another concept could be for Elven Guardians, protectors of elven communities, and for Ancestral Champions, dwarves empowered by the spirits of their ancestors to avenge them.

-Knight: Aside from the obvious knightly warriors from the Christian nations, there's also the Muslim Gazi orders, the Samurai of Sahud, not to mention warriors of other civilized races like elves and dwarves.

-Martial Artists: Sahud is the obvious source for Martial Artists eager to prove the superiority of their Kung Fu to outsiders. The elves also seem likely to have mastered the Chi arts.

-Scouts: There are a lot of potential origins for Banestorm scouts; Human woodsmen, elven sentinels, orc stalkers, etc...

-Swashbucklers: Aralaise swordsmen, obviously. Although Elven swordmasters also fit (Boy, those elves are sure multi-talented, aren't they?)

-And Thieves and Wizards alike are already easily-found in Banestorm as it is.

And that's about all I can think of for Dungeon Fantasy characters in Banestorm. What are your opinions?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
banestorm, dungeon fantasy